Ding dong the Witch is dead

I heard just that Margaret Thatcher is dead, I would never wish harm to anyone but she is the one person where I wish it had happened when she was very much younger. I now don't have any living person that I hate that much

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I'm no fan of hers but that is uncalled for. Best to remain silent imho if you harbour such feelings.

• bigponybigpony ✭✭✭

With you on that Mutley

• Reminds me of one of her speeches "Rejoice Rejoice"

• this tweet sums up my feelings:

"Margaret Thatcher RIP - didn't like her or her politics but a genuine collosus in politics."

• You're an idiot and you've embarassed yourself.  Well done you.

• Muttley wrote (see)

I'm no fan of hers but that is uncalled for. Best to remain silent imho if you harbour such feelings.

Agree with you Muttley.

• she almost single handedly destroyed much of the social fabric of the UK and her greed led to the deregulation of the banks and City generally - and we are all now suffering the consequences of that.  for those acts alone, she should be despised.

but she made huge strides forward for women in politics and she has to be congratulated for that.

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

I hated her politics and everything she stood for, but if she'd ever shown a shred of humour, or had a less annoying voice, I probably wouldn't have felt so strongly about her. I can't say I'm sorry to hear she's died but I'm certainly not pleased. 

• fat buddha wrote (see)

she almost single handedly destroyed much of the social fabric of the UK and her greed led to the deregulation of the banks and City generally - and we are all now suffering the consequences of that.  for those acts alone, she should be despised.

but she made huge strides forward for women in politics and she has to be congratulated for that.

Interesting perspective.  Deregulation of the banks was something that helped to give us 30 years of generally improved prosperity.  Gordon brown further deregulated because it was helping us so much.  It was people who created the situation we are in now, not Thatcher or Brown.  You want to blame someone, blame sub-prime mortgage lenders in the US, blame corrupt City bankers.  The fact is, nobody has the faintest idea of what Thatcher would have done with the way banks looked in 2000, it wasn't on her watch then.  It was on Brown and Blairs watch that it collapsed, not hers.

Tell me about this social fabric that you're missing.  I have no idea what it is. 

• another tweet I like:

"Just heard about the death of Thatcher. Obviously my thoughts and prayers are with Satan and the rest of Hell at this difficult time."

• the poll tax was a mistake.

however, the impact she had on the dismantling of heavy industry in Scotland is greatly overstated. not insignificant, but overstated. often people need a bogeyman to blame for their problems. she was it.

she didn't wake up one morning and decide she didn't like miners/shipbuilders. other factors caused that downfall. she was just the messenger. and she got shot (electorally speaking).

• the dude abides wrote (see)

she didn't wake up one morning and decide she didn't like miners/shipbuilders. other factors caused that downfall. she was just the messenger. and she got shot (electorally speaking).

So her re-election in 83 and 87 weren't a sign of the support for her actions then ??

• The BBC website has a link entitled "Live: Baroness Thatcher dies".  Maybe it's pay-per-view?

• RunningInPleasePass wrote (see)
    the dude abides wrote (see)

So her re-election in 83 and 87 weren't a sign of the support for her actions then ??

in scotland image

• fat buddha wrote (see)

"she almost single handedly destroyed much of the social fabric of the UK and her greed led to the deregulation of the banks and City generally - and we are all now suffering the consequences of that.  for those acts alone, she should be despised"

Yeahh, but apart from that though?

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Her re-election in 83 was hot on the heels of the Falklands war.

It's a mixed legacy. She did huge and lasting damage to industry and industrial relations, used the North Sea oil money to fund that instead of for something useful like the Norwegians (and even Shetlanders) did. She started the financial deregulation that resulted in the spiv culture of the past 20 years. Cf this to the German economy. She stood for a hard-nosed and quite unpleasant ideological brand of politics that even infected the Labour Party (by which I mean the Blair project).

But she was also an effective foreign-policy leader especially with the USA and USSR, not to mention the Falklands of course. And she was a torchbearer for women in politics, probably unwittingly.

Much more debit than credit politically. Not at all sorry to see her "brand" go but I'm not joining those who are dancing on the grave.

• Whether or not I would have liked her policies as an adult ( I was only a teenager when she was PM and I won't pretend I was a political animal at that age) - my Scottish parents thought she was wonderful.  My family was heavily involved with coal mining yet still felt that way.

Regardless - she was the first (hopefully not the last) female prime minister - I will always admire her for that.   

She is often seen in Scotland as the bogey man by folks who weren't alive when she was in power - hard not to see that as rather simplistic.

• I watched The Iron Lady on Saturday, which is a bit spooky. I'd better not watch that Nelson Mandela biopic when it comes out...

• State funeral or does the private sector get to bid to run it?

• Tom77 wrote (see)

I watched The Iron Lady on Saturday, which is a bit spooky. I'd better not watch that Nelson Mandela biopic when it comes out...

Tom77 you're really out of order, how can you mention both those people in the same breath

• Is there a David Cameron biopic we could lend to Tom!