Do they really mean it about no headphones at Manchester Marathon?

Comments

• Has anyone seen the headphones that play the music into the bone behind the ear? So there is nothing actually in the ear itself, Got reviewed in a bike magazine who are normally anti anything in the ear for safety of hearing traffic etc. Does sort of mess the argument up a bit.

Is the headphone thing now more of an attitude thing, i.e we don't like it but not sure why anymore

• Flat Foo..ed-  yes it has.  

• Loftus- That's fair enough if it's an event that says no headphones

but those rules do not apply for many ( if not most) ultra races.

• Don't get me wrong i have no issue with headphones . If the race organiser reiterates No headphones when you agree to enter. Thats it

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Trundle Forth wrote (see)
    Headphones for training - yes
    Headphones for race day - no you miss out on all the banter!

Generally agree, but I'm not sure there is any "banter" when you're working flat out in a race!

• Stevie G. The clue is in the name trundling rather than racing is my thing. As long as I finish I don't massively care about the timeimage at my end of things there's usually a fair bit of chat, at least I the first few miles.
  • I've always worn headphones for races but then I'd never been on running forums until recently and found out its a divisive issue.

To be honest I've never had any issues, I tend to have my music at a level where I can still hold a conversation. When things get noisy I can hardly hear the music but I like it there for when things get quiet.

I'd say I'm a very considerate runner, for instance I always check behind before moving or spitting (don't tell me spitting isn't PC please)

• If the OP is run/ walking, then using headphones can be a problem, even if the rules say nothing about it.

I had to run/ walk my first marathon, as I was injured, and although most of you think it is heresy, I still managed a sub- 4:30 time, and for a first go, it encouraged me to keep trying. The problem with run- walking is that you have to be very attentive to those around you- look behind you, pull off to the side before you slow- so you need eyes AND ears working.

The most inconsiderate thing anyone has ever done to me at a race was pee'd whilst running along in a 10k, (and I was close enough behind to get "the benefit")- honestly- it wasn't as if either of us were even in the top 1/3rd of the field image

• that is gross  tricialitt......

i have peed on the bike but then noone should get the after effects as there is a no drafting rule.....

If i have peed myself in a race I have always gone to the side of the road

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How do you pee on the run without peeing on yourself?

You'd probably have to be going so slow it's a wonder anyone would bother, and would be better of just stopping for 20secs!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Why on earth would anyone reduce themselves to pissing and shitting themselves during a race?

The loss of the few seconds required to deal with the problem in a civilized manner must surely out weigh the loss of self esteem of being featured on the 'net' for the rest of your life covered in cac or soaking your fellow runners.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The adrenaline/stress pre race normally ensures you have nothing on board that will make an unfortunate appearance!

Must be trickier in a marathon where you need enough fuel to get you round. Emptying yourself out might not work so well there!

• I ran Wrexham 10K today and they had, IMHO, the right attitude to headphones. They asked people not to wear them as they felt they may be unsafe but said if they did then the runner was liable for any accidents incidents arising from the wearing of headphones.

Common sense. Maybe not the perfect solution, and I know it doesn't address the alarmist "what if a fleet of fire engines needed to get past" argument,  but its close enough for me.

• At last a thread that supports a race banning music devices.

I was commentating at an event at the weekend and runners coming in with music were oblivious to the applause of the crowd and my words of congratulations. And don't get me started on safety.....
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

But GazOC is right. So long as the runner with headphones is liable for any accidents, that makes it ok that they tripped someone up and ruined the weeks of training and the race of someone else. image Rules like that are worthless, whereas Manchester have at least got a clear ruling. Bit of enforcement would help though.

• I attended a race recently where it was enforced and a few people who had previously worn earphones commented afterwards how much more enjoyable they found it without them
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

Ultra waccyracer wrote (see)

If you can drive your cars at 60-70 miles an hour listening to car stereos watching the road and other traffic without causing an accident i'm sure you can handle a local run around traffic free parks or roads.

driving a car with stereo on is nothing like running wearing headphones,

• Also-ran wrote (see)

But GazOC is right. So long as the runner with headphones is liable for any accidents, that makes it ok that they tripped someone up and ruined the weeks of training and the race of someone else. image Rules like that are worthless, whereas Manchester have at least got a clear ruling. Bit of enforcement would help though.

Er...that'll be sarcasm? Right?

Just to clarify they meant incidents/ accidents occuring to the runner themselves. Personally I've never felt and more or any less likely to somehow be tripped by a headphone wearing runner than a non headphone wearing runner.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I thought I'd go to the horse's mouth, and asked UKA.  This is the reply I got:

"You are correct to say that there isn’t a UKA rule banning the use of headsets in races – you have quoted almost word for word the reasons we would give for applying local conditions on their use – but I would love to know how stories start such as UKA fining race organisers!

Any decision to ban the use of headsets is taken independently by the race organisers and we will support their decision should any dispute arise as a consequence.  UKA most definitely does not have the power to “fine” race organisers in any circumstances."

• perhaps you should reply Wilks and ask UKA if they have any plans to include a ban on headsets in the future, or that it's being discussed by their Rules Committee (I assume they will have one).  that might be an interesting reply.

fwiw - here's the BTF rule on it:

"8.1 Any equipment that acts as an impediment to hearing or concentration is prohibited from use during an event (including transition). This includes, but is not limited to, mobile telephones (which should be switched off if stored in transition), personal stereos and MP3 players."

• The UKA rules apply for 2 years with the latest revision being applicable since 2012. I believe there is a link on the UKA web site to make rule change suggestions.

Road running can definitely learn from other sports. BTF have made it clear on headphones and will therefore have a policing method.

I believe cycling rules prohibit the dropping of litter with offenders being disqualified. I've spent many an hour pickin up gel wrappers after running events
  • triathlon rules also penalise those caught littering (comes under Discarding Equipment rule) but it's not the easiest to enforce especially when they're on the bike leg as there just aren't enough eyes to monitor everyone.   in long distance tris, aid stations on the bike have drop zones for bottles and general litter to help improve matters and most triathetes do conform as it gets ingrained early on in your race career.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

More from UKA, in reply to asking if UKA were considering a ban on headsets:

"The rule has been proposed on a number of occasions in the past but has always been rejected – mainly on the grounds of the difficulty of enforcement and the different circumstances that can apply across the range of courses that are encountered."

• It's difficult to enforce speed limits, drink driving, and seat belt rules

Doesn't stop the rules being there.

Sounds like a cop out from UKA to me

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

they don't have to catch absolutely everyone to enforce it.

simply disqualify the ones they do see wearing headphones.

• If you don't like the rules dont enter the race.  Simple!