Cotswold Challenge

Comments

• Looks like you're on your own. Good luck with it! Looks like the weather will be glorious for it.
  • Hi Bear, how did it go?

• It was very scenic and very hard.  Usual great friendly event though.  Consensus was that it was even harder than Pilgrims'.  Day 1 was 27 miles and had some very long steady climbs. Day 2 was 31 miles + and had shorter steeper hills, the worse being almost right at the start.  Spectacular scenery.  Weather lovely, but still nippy.  Managed to get a bit of sunburn, also managed to fall over flat on my face so have really red swollen nose with a line of scratches right down the middle.

Worse problem is transport, especially as there are major works at Reading Station.   Given a lift to Swindon (trains from Stroud are pants after 6.20 p.m.) which was about an hour's journey.  Then it took another 2 1/2 hours to get from Swindon to London.

• Well done Bear - I did the first day but finished with horrendous blisters on both heels and a horrible cough.  I was hoping for a miraculous recovery overnight but that never happened, so decided not to do the second day.  My feet are very grateful!  I've not done Pilgrims so can't compare, but I thought the first day was pretty tough, especially that long drag up to Belas Knap, and then the final push around Cleeve Common and down into Bishop's Cleeve which went on forever!

Lovely event though, and a beutiful route image

With the transport issues perhaps they would be better off starting the event in Bishop's Cleeve (easy to get to Cheltenham station), overnighting at Stroud and then finishing the second day in Bath?

• Well done on the run (and lucky on the weather). Sympathies for the transport problems.

• Sumoeddie: sympathies for both cough and blisters.

• Bad luck Sumoeddie.  Interesting sugestion about changing the start and finish.  About how far would that make each day?

• The first day would be the current second day, so 31 miles.  The second day would be something similar again - the whole of the Cotswold Way from its start in Chipping Campden to the finish in Bath is 102 miles.  Not sure how the Stroud to Bath section rates in terms of scenery and hilliness though...

• Another problem might be finding suitable overnight accommodation.  The sports centre in Stroud where we finished had a hall, showers, etc. but no proper catering facilities.