Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    NCane2 wrote (see)
    Just got back home and read back through the forum. Well done everyone and i mean everyone, there are some exceptional people here. Be proud and that includes Dannir, its hard to make the decision to stop, you did the right thing, your body will thank you for it.

Emmy i saw the back of you and tried to catch up at one point as saw the union jack tshirt, i saw others as well that i wondered if were from here but didn't get to speak to.
    All i can say is thank you all for the support.
    Anyone doing Edinburgh...if so hopefully see you there!
    Also does anyone know why l'equipe has two times per runner printed?

Tried to catch up? Are you sure it was me as we were tootling along at a slow pace image I was with someone dressed as a pirate and I heard that we were pretty easy to spot. One girl told me she had her eyes on my shirt (i asked if it was also my rear and she laughedimage) to catch me.

Dannirr wrote (see)
    Best sign: Pain is temporary, but Internet results last forever!

How did I miss that?! Great sign!

A few people were asking for a picture of my medal hanger yesterday - here you are:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/535638_839977208790_1247047731_n.jpg

There's a few more on it now thoughimage

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

ok,so I'm not Peter Some...

What a mixed bag. Congratulations to all those with hard won PBs,includingthe whippets, and comiserations to you, Dan. You know you did the sensible thing but we know how much it must've hurt.

'Had disasterous second half but, in all, a great day and a fantastic evening image I'm not home til Wednesday but would reallyappreciate copies of some of the photos, especially of us in groups. And of the frocks, of course.

I loved the handmade signs , especially the ' Run like you're naked' and the home made Scotland flags some French runners made. I thought the crowd was great.

And I'd like to echo all the comments about the supporters' group. Good job! You kept us going....especially at then end....my annual 'near death' experience. Without the white light.

Off to crowbar my way into random conversations...

• Ncane - probably gun time and chip time?
  • Sean - did send you messages this morning but suspect they're delayed by networks lost in the ether! Hope you had a good journey.
  • Hey, anyone know of any good pubs for the united city game?
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Corcorans - Rue St Andre

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Did you get my message Yer Maj?

• Bonjour mes amies!

I had such a bril time yesterday and last night.  I'm so glad I came over this year.  It was lovely to see so many friends after so many years.

This post does mark my return (and the merging of all my niks..  let's not ask where 'naughtyferret' came from).  In a few weeks i'll remove the BrandyB bit..  but i didn't want to confuse anyone from previous years.  An updated picture of a particularly naughty ferret will also be forthcoming.

I can't say i'll be here every day (you lot sure to talk a lot!), but i'll poke my head in and wave from time to time.

Thanks again for an amazing time everyone and looking forward to the next year of chatting and the 2014 Paris marathon!!

• Run like your being chased by zombies......That was the one that gave me the giggles yesterday!

I thought the support yesterday was amazing, but then For the first time ever I had support on the course and it made some difference!! Thanx once again TD,DLR and of couse my amazing daughters!!;)

Thanx Alexander for the nice comment!!

Today has been eventful......took kidz to a fun fair thing in the park at Viciennes, After 4 rides Naomi was sick so headed home and we had to get of the metro so I could be sick in a bin!! image
  • Congratulations to all that took part and also to the supporters.

Felt good early, but probably went to hard, struggled over the last 10k's or so  and finished with a  4:06, this put me at the 30% point in my age group.

Disappointed in not breaking 4 hours but first marathon and 7 months ago my first training session was limited to 1 minute walk, 1 minute jog, already planning the next marathon.image

Safe trips home.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Today has been eventful......took kidz to a fun fair thing in the park at Viciennes, After 4 rides Naomi was sick so headed home and we had to get of the metro so I could be sick in a bin!! image

Were you sick or Naomi? I hope you havent got what Daniirr has? Get well soon Little Kaz's.

• Thanks James, will prob head in there for a few of ppl are around
  • I found the support I didn't understand weirdly forced me along...when walking in the last couple of miles (leg pain became unbearable) a french man yelled the name on my number followed by something I couldn't work out and waving furiously towards the finish...i didn't want to dissappoint! Gps didn't find a signal over the length of the course so I tried following a pacekeeper, which it turns out with the crowd is pretty difficult!

Does anyone know what the times in brackets in l'equip are for? The 3'48'16 matches the website, but I have a 3'35'53 in brackets.
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Daddy it has confused me! The time not in brackets is definitely your time as it matched the time on my watch.
  • Yeah, the non braket time matches my watch too. Figured there'd be a key for me to translate but I can't find one.
  • I think the time in brackets must be the time at 40k, and the second one is chip time. Although quite why you'd want to know that I'm not sure.
  • Emmy H wrote (see)
    NCane2 wrote (see)
    Just got back home and read back through the forum. Well done everyone and i mean everyone, there are some exceptional people here. Be proud and that includes Dannir, its hard to make the decision to stop, you did the right thing, your body will thank you for it.

Emmy i saw the back of you and tried to catch up at one point as saw the union jack tshirt, i saw others as well that i wondered if were from here but didn't get to speak to.
    All i can say is thank you all for the support.
    Anyone doing Edinburgh...if so hopefully see you there!
    Also does anyone know why l'equipe has two times per runner printed?

Tried to catch up? Are you sure it was me as we were tootling along at a slow pace image I was with someone dressed as a pirate and I heard that we were pretty easy to spot. One girl told me she had her eyes on my shirt (i asked if it was also my rear and she laughedimage) to catch me.

Dannirr wrote (see)
    Best sign: Pain is temporary, but Internet results last forever!

How did I miss that?! Great sign!

A few people were asking for a picture of my medal hanger yesterday - here you are:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/535638_839977208790_1247047731_n.jpg

There's a few more on it now thoughimage

Nice Rack (her words not mine)

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    RR - just to remind you how awful the last two k was!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

ATM - I have some group photos from the weekend if you want some. I'll e-mail then to you.

Kaz - I hope you and the bairns are ok.

Dannirr - I hope you feel better soon.

I'm sad to be home now. Paris really is my favourite event. Amazing people and a good course. It was great to catch up with everyone again and finally meet some I'd missed before. I had a fantastic weekend and thoughts of the park of death are already slipping from memory! A big shout out the TD/DLR led support crew. Coming past the halfway point I couldn't stop smiling seeing TD's flag hanging over the road for a good 1km before I reached it. London in two weeks has an awful lot to live up too!

Oh, and France seems to be the only place having Eggy written as your name on the bib sees nothing but shouts of encouragement.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing the group picture at the Arc.
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Downloaded the garmin splits. 9 min miles to mile 18. Then faded to 11 to 12 min miles. With on 13 min mile when I had to stop to eat and drink. By god I have never tasted oranges so good as at the last pit stop.

I'm home. A little deflated. Will take the family next year. Had a Macdonalds on the way home from airport and now going for a beer.

Well done Peter on your massive achievement. Awesome jimbob. Well done everyone again and dannir I hope you get better soon.

On the issue of support. I thought the crowd were great but as it was my first marathon I would know no different. And the British fans were excellent. Every time went by always got a shout out.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Speaking of names on shirts, I have my name on my shirt and got loads of shouts. However, Yer Maj informed me last night that, in French, Pete means 'Fart'.

Mrs O, for some reason, thinks that is pretty apt image
  • Hi...   apologies for having to bail out mid-race and head off home and thus missing all the fun...   there was a bit of a crisis at home that I couldn't ignore...   it's under control now though...   major bummer though....

Great to meet everyone again and some new faces...  the group of us at the back kept up a nice comfy pace and Radar Sal's constant 'slow down DV' was very funny..  had a good chat with everyone in our little group and that was fun too.

Seeing both Emmy and Radar Sal squat down in front of me for a wee on the Champs was an unforgettable sight....!

It's really great to read all the stories...  I won't mention names, but there were some amazing perfomances....!  Well done to everyone....    roll on Paris 2014.  image

• DV- Paris 2014 does hold a certain appeal now
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Not a regular poster here but the advice and info on here has been great.

Well done to all those who hit targets, unlucky to those that didn't but well done to everyone for attempting one of the greatest challenges in athletics. There are millions that can't contemplate attempting a marathon, only a few are brave enough to take it on.

My race was not helped by a training campaign blighted with injuries and a final night's sleep in our apartment interrupted with an erroneous pizza delivery at 1am!!!

I had to stop and stretch a failing calf at 16 miles which proved to be a sensible idea as it got better and allowed me to continue on. Once I hit 20 miles I was confident enough to push hard and go for a solid final 10k and bag a pb, finishing in 3.23.

This was my first foreign marathon after doing a couple of London runs. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would do it again.

Thanks again everyone, what a cracking bunch!!!

SB
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

And I'm back.  AWESOME weekend fellow forumites!!!  I'm loving my awesome personal worst and rocking my finisher t-shirt while catching up with all the chatter.  WOOO HOOOO!!! and just to bring a couple of words of semi-warning.  Watch out for the post-marathon lull everyone!  Good solutions: enter your next oneimage

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

James - nice one.  I'm in GNR and then Berlin...someone has a little list of all our next races somewhere, don't they?image