Support Group 1 - Mudchute 2013

Comments

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Will be good to see you again Happychap.  It feels like a universe ago when I last saw you

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Oh blimey, it has been.  Outlaw last year I think? 

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Maybe, or possibly when I got the phone call for my swim when in your shop.  My life today is hardly recognisable to back then

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/94662099@N05/8622127258/

Did it work this time? I'll be looking like this only sweatier.

What kind of wine would the supporters like?

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Glad to hear things are getting sorted image  I couldn't remember if the shop thing was before or after. 

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

literatin, the link doesn't work as a hyperlink and I can't copy and paste, but when I get a bit more time I will attempt to type the address in and steal the photo if that is ok with you.  Bit pushed for time today

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Bah. It was (sort of) working on my computer. Is this any better?

• Ooh yeah that works image

white wine gets my vote image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

Forum Name - Millsy1977

Real Name - James

Number - 32119

Estimated Time @ mile 17 -  11.56

will try to sort out a picture but will be wearing a white Adidas T-shirt with orange bits (to match my hair). Black shorts.

• alkialki ✭✭✭

Forum Name - Alki

Real Name - Ali

Number - 28674

Estimated Time @ mile 17 - Aiming for 3.30 overall, so I guess 2 hr 15?

Running kit - purple shirt, black shorts, white cap

Would like: jelly babies/cheers/hugs

Mr Alki

Real Name - David

Number - 54827

Estimated Time @ mile 17 - Aiming for 4.30 overall, so I guess 2 hr 45 ish?

Running kit - purple shirt, blue shorts

Would like: single malt whisky/vodka/head reading image Will settle for jelly babies and a cheer

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Evening all, nothing vlm-related to report, just noticed we weren't on the first page any more and looked a bit unpopular compared to the other support groups. But really that's because we're all super-organised and got our details in early.

How's everyone's taper going? Do supporters have a booze-taper to get them in shape for the big day?

• No-one has been on my group's page for a bit image

I'm just excited about the race and am hijacking the other pages as well image

• Hi, I have a few general vlm questions, what is this female urinal business? I am thinking of following the pacer, but how will I be able to find/ follow with so many people about?

So far nerves are holding out, think I will be terrified on the day.....
  • The pacers tend to have something visible so that you can see them, such as balloons or a lollypop type stick (but smaller) with stuff on so that you know it's a pace group - usually the time aimed for as well.

The female urinal business I don't know too much about but my cousin's wife mentioned a couple of years ago that someone had been handing out disposable she-wees to ladies to use before the event started. How many people use them I do not know.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I've been away for a few days so haven't been able to get on here.  I think I've got everyone's details logged so far.  Holymoly and Pottermiss are the only two I know nothing about at all, so if they are reading then please stick your head in and say hello *waves*

Literatin, my training is going well.  I have to train with the pompoms as they give me terrible blisters otherwise, and I practiced sleep deprivasion this weekend.  Booze taper is going well with hardly any consumed in the last week.

Chicken, the female urinal is basically so that you can wee standing up with the help of a she-wee or similar.  It saves time as you don't have to fully undress, so it reduces the queues before the race.  I've not had to use one so I've no idea whether it is easy or not.

As for the pacer... they should be easy to find in the starting pen and there are usually more than one at the more popular speeds.  However I wouldn't rely on them if I was you, just in case you can't find the right one or you lose one at a toilet stop.  You should have done enough long runs to know what speed you need to maintain and what that feels like.  Aim to run the first 3-5 miles at a pace that feels even easier than that, to compensate for the adrenaline, or use a watch to keep you on target.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I don't know about you lot, but my big race is the week after London and I'm getting very nervous

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    My taper is at a very advanced stage owing to a sore leg after doing a brisk 4 miler last week in even colder than usual weather - think I rushed it a bit to get it over with and didn't warm up properly - so complete rest/ice/stretch now but think it will be ok.

To anyone who's done it before - any tips for the start? What's it like? I'm coming up from SW London so an early start to get into London then out to Blackheath. I'm worried I'll then spend ages hanging around feeling cold, tired and hungry ... getting paranoid about getting hungry!
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

If it doesn't warm up out there then you do need to consider how to keep warm.  Generally its not that bad once you are in the pens as the other runners keep the wind off you, but you could get cold sitting around before then.  Take extra layers that you don't mind discarding, and a bin bag can be useful for keeping th rain off.  Any discarded clothes are taken for recycing by charities so consider dumping stuff just before you get into your pen.

I've seen people recommend keeping off your feet as much as you can before the start.  I personally think that is a bad idea and would suggest that walking will help keep you warm and also be a part of your warm up.  Sitting on cold ground sounds like the worst thing you can do to me.

When I did London I took a snack to eat while I was waiting.  I had breakfast before I left home at about 6am and a cereal bar was enough to stop me from getting hunngry while I was waiting.  To be honest I was too nervous to be able to eat much anyway

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

I'm sure they serves tea last year to runners (but I may be making that up).

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Oooo, tea!  No that sounds like my sort of marathon

• Hi Group 1, sorry I am late checking in image I hope everyone's training is going well. 

Forum Name: Pottermiss

Name: Fiona

Number: 22692

Wearing: Bright Yellow Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research T Shirt, it's having my name put on the front as I type - I hope..

Time to mile 17: (2hrs 40?) 12.40pm ish not entirely sure of Marathon Pace. 

No special needs, I might just drop off some shotblocks or gel just in case, but friendly faces to look forward to will really help image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Thanks guys!  My spreadsheet is coming along nicely.

Happychap and Prawnie, can you let me know your estimated times please?  I assume that Prawnie and Mr. Prawnie will be running together.

If those of you who don't know me can provide a photo in your running kit it will make my life easier

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

(Info provided by XFR Bear and shamelessly stolen)

Here's where we'll be as seen from a runners perspective

http://goo.gl/maps/RTsFn

on the right just before the crossing (level with the zig zags). The blue boards on the left won't be there.There will be a water station on the right next to where you are standing in the first link and we are immediatly after them.

Here's the view from a bit further back - click on the road and you can then use the up arrow key to move forward

http://goo.gl/maps/gt718

The groups are in number order with 1 first. I know that seems obvious but every year someone says "I could see groups 2 and 4 but couldn't find 3!" image  If you can't see us then shout out the name of your supporters and you will be directed to the right place

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    That is wierd Caz...my recollection is of a massive super wide road with people ten deep either side...image
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

My recollection is a competition over who could get rid of the most jelly babies and jaffa cakes... followed by a huge handover the next day.  I remember very little of the bit inbetween

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

How's everybody feeling today?

• Nervous, did 7m this morning and found it quite hard, it took at least 4m to get comfortable. Weather forecast variable so still can't decide on what to wear...
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I think it is natural to find running hard in the last week.  Your body is recovering from all those long runs you have done.  The taper is giving your body a little rest and it is trying to grab as much of it as it can.  This last week is the hardest test of your mental state in my opinion.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes, don't worry Chicken123, I felt like that on a some of my runs last week, but today I felt amazing! A bit of sunshine and the massage I had yesterday probably helped. image

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    I have my first cold in about a year, and dodgy ITB, haven't run for a week image

Physio on Thurs said no serious damage and I've just overdone it, should be fine for race day even if I don't run til then. Am putting all my faith in her and icing, foam rollering and stretching religiously every day.

Have always said my first goal was to get to the start line ... got a bit complacent after the last LSR was safely out of the way ... there's a lot of luck involved in this marathon malarkey! I WILL be there next Sunday!