WDW Dopey Challenge...

Thursday: 5km
Friday: 10km
Saturday: Half-marathon
Sunday: Marathon

Thats 4 days and 48.6 miles of madness!

Anybody got any experience of the WDW events? Well organised? Worth signing up for? Im very tempted by the 2014 event, even though it just sounds to me like an injury waiting to happen!

Comments

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

I did the goofy challenge in 2010 and it was fantastic, cannot recommend it enough. 

Looks like I'm going to have to do this myself although it'll have to be 2015 for me I reckon.

Thanks for letting me know about it image

• I was the same 2010 5k plus goofy, great event! Love to go back someday.
  • I did the marathon the year it was freezing - was that 2010? It was interesting being a wuss compared to the Goofy people, it'll be a stroll in the park compared to Dopey though! I'd go back, depending on various things am debating it again for a January marathon. Nearly went back this year. Maybe 2014 is the year...
  • Just signed up for Goofy, couldn't quite face the Dopey challenge image

• Dopey sounds ridiculous, but it also sounds like the kind of thing Id drunkenly sign up for. I'll go out for a skin-full tonight and check my email inbox in the morning. Thats usually how these things work!

• if you are going to travel all that way you might as well make it worthwhile image

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Princess Leah wrote (see)
    I did the marathon the year it was freezing - was that 2010?

Yes that was 2010, Florida sold out of gloves so I was wearing socks on my hands.

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Gribb0 wrote (see)

Just signed up for Goofy, couldn't quite face the Dopey challenge image

Woose, what's another 15k image  Actually you're going to regret it when you see all those extra medals and shirts......

• LOL I know but 3 5:30 starts on the trot was just too much! 

• Gribb0 wrote (see)

LOL I know but 3 5:30 starts on the trot was just too much! 

This is actually what scares me more than running 49 miles. Although the 5km starts at 6.15am so thats an extra 45 mins in bed! image

• Gazza81 wrote (see)

Thursday: 5km
    Friday: 10km
    Saturday: Half-marathon
    Sunday: Marathon

Thats 4 days and 48.6 miles of madness!

Anybody got any experience of the WDW events? Well organised? Worth signing up for? Im very tempted by the 2014 event, even though it just sounds to me like an injury waiting to happen!

There was a thread for the 2013 Goofy.  Inspired me to get back into training specifically for the Dopey.  So I hope to be there.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/walt-disney-world-marathon-2013/191151-28.html

Gribb0 - I take it you signed up for the RW challenge Goofy, as registration for this year is on Tuesday afaik.  Or is there a special handshake that can get you in quicker image

• There is a link on the facebook page for Goofy Challenge - apparently active.com released it early so I used that

https://www.active.com/register/index.cfm?CHECKSSO=0&EVENT_ID=2064676

• Is this an official site?  I really want to do this but it says it doesnt open online on the disney site until 9th, have you had official confirmation.?

• Taken from the active.com website
    Please Select:

Special offer for WDW Annual Passholder, Disney Vacation Club Member, 
    or a Disney's Visa Cardmember, visit your member website to review full offer details. 
    Entries are very limited for early booking and will only be valid for members.

You may need to be careful using that link as it appaers to be limited to the above members only !

• Yes, I did look at the link, and it does look official.  BUT, for the sake of a couple of days, I would hate to be refused, as I am not a member of any of those.

As long as it can't sell out before tomorrow I'm still happy to wait.  And it does say on the site that early entries are limited, so I should be safe.

I think it may sell out fast though, the inclusion of the 10K and Dopey will entice a few extras.  After all The Dumbo this year sold out in less than a day, very fast compared to last year (not sure how long it was then though).

• tapping my foot and waiting for it to open tomorrow...........

• Starters Orders at 5pm tomorrow  

Shall we meet at 5.05pm and discuss the OTT pricing !!

• It's not real money SGG it's disney money so it doesn't count !
  • Best organised, most fun event ever. Loved it when I did the marathon.

Kids both did a race each as did my DH. All in all the best way to see in the New Year - I recommend it to every runner I know.  Expensive but I could easily see where the money went and I would do it every year if I could get the holidays to suit.

• How difficult will it be to get in?
    Does it sell out within hours or can I wait a few days?

Likelihood is that I'll be online when registration opens, but just wondered...

• This years Dumbo at Disneyland (California) sold out in 23 hours.

No doubt there are less people running that, as it's a lot smaller resort, but I do expect it to sell VERY fast.

To be sure, the best bet will be to be there at 5pm.

In fact, I am still not sure of the time it starts.  The Dopey video says Noon EasternStandardTime not EDT (daylight savings).  So it would be GMT-5 not BST.  That actually makes it 6pm.

I think I'll be there at 4 image

• Can't decide what to do! Would like to crack 4 hour marthon - which is probably a tad unrealistic. Would also like to crack 1:50 half marathon which is possibly even more unrealistic. Doing one of those as a PB attempt would mean committing to that event only.

But I can do marathons and half marathons anytime anywhere - where else can you do a Goofy? Which would also take the time pressure off which is not a bad thing bearing in mind it is a holiday. And if you are going to Goofy you may as well Dopey...

But wouldn't a PB be awesome? And they are flat so would be an opportunity.

Bu hubby may do 5k and/or 10k and it would be great to do something with him. So that would mean me Dopeying.

And I'm injured just now and focusing on another September event so that's kind of a spanner in the works and maybe the shorter distances more sensible.

Arrrrgggh someone choose for me!!!
  • My advice would be to do the runs for fun. I think it would be a shame to blindly run round trying to chase a pb when there is so much to see and take in.
  • The Dumbo had a lot of early entrants at the WDW marathon weekend and over 50% of the places were taken before registration opened 

They don't expect the Dopey to sell out as quickly simply because of the price even the Americans are bulking at it and to some Americans Disney is a religon !!

• How mad is it to chase a time in the HM, then do the marathon in a vaguely get round in one piece Goofy way?

I know you are right Marathon Minnie, but when I think about me doing Dopey/Goofy I think 'that's quite cool' but get excited by Marathon/HM aiming for a time. so maybe I should go with my gut. But if I miss those times then I'll be a misery guts.

Aaaaaarrrrggghhh!!!
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Your half and full marathon times are dependent on how many times you actually stop and get your photo taken with the characters that are on route!! I think i have around 50 pictures with charaters in the marathon this year. The most fun you can have whilst running (very loosely!!) a marathon.

The worst part of the race is actually seeing the finish line since the fun is all over!!

• When I did the marthon in 2010 i didn't stop for photos etc, but you wouldn't believe that from the time I ended up withimage
  • Tell me about it ! 2012 we stopped numerous times. This year our training was a disaster and we were 15 mins slower with no photo breaks. Ouch
  • runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

My half marathon PB is still the Goofy half and I've run 25 since.