Options

Electronic pace timer

Im looking for a gps device that will give me audible speech speed/pace updates as I run, I dont have an ipod is there a good wrist worn gps unit that will do this for me.

Comments

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I don't know a bout speech, but you can set a watch to bleep at different paces?

• Options

I was looking for something that would advise me of current km times the idea is to pre set a race target time and get audible advise on requirment of pace.

• Options

Why does it need to be audible - it's easy to look at a watch.

I don't know about what is on which Garmin, but you can set my very old 305 to beep when you go outside a certain pace band. It's usually pretty obvious whether you are too fast or too slow, and you just change your pace accordingly until the beeping stops. TBH though, I don't use that feature, I just have average pace showing, and aim to keep that at the pace I want and look at it every so often. 

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I wondered if the op were perhaps a bit short sighted or similar...
  • Options

i only know of phone apps that do this.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    exiled claret wrote (see)

Why does it need to be audible - it's easy to look at a watch.

... I just have average pace showing, and aim to keep that at the pace I want and look at it every so often. 

I do the same.  

The constant chattering of a voice telling me my pace would probably irritate other runners!  

I was running near a woman on Sunday whose HRM appeared to be beeping along with the beats of her heart.  I had to run faster to get away from her!

• Options

The only wrist worn gps unit I can think of with an audible update function is the Motorola motoactv. It's not the cheapest of options.

If the wrist worn criteria isn't important and you don't own a smart phone or don't want to take it with you you could buy something like the samsung galaxy wifi.  This is an android based device with GPS which you could download running apps onto. 

• Options

Im now wondering if my best option is an andoid phone with the Runmeter app, just wondering how annoying it is to have a phone on the upper arm when running.

• Options

About as annoying as having a bulky watch on your wrist? 

Just buy a Y-fumble or similar arm pocket for about a fiver and give it a go. You shouldn't really notice it as long as you get a good fitting size it should give a snug fit preventing any movement. 

Personally I would find the headphones more annoying.