Weather

I am running the London Marathon and having done all my training in Cold weather which i enjoy. I have had a look at the 14 day weather forcast which i know is probably rubbish but its saying a high in London of 24 c on the 21st.

I find running when its warmer really saps my energy.

Any advise please?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

That's always a risk with spring marathons - you do all your training in the cold, then the weather gets warmer. 

I can only suggest you wrap up warmly on your next few runs, to try and get used to it!

• When I did London in 2011, it got into the 20s... Some of my spectators got sunburn.

General advice is slow your pace- hydrate more before hand- take some electrolytes and salt with u during so u dont over hydrate in the heat. Wear a cap to keep the sun out of ur face and so u can soak it in water to cool your head from time to time.

Good luck!
  • David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

There is no way it will be 24 degrees on the 21st. 

I too die in the hot weather. I would rather be cold and rained on than running in the heat.

I thought you always ran in perfect air conditioned comfort?

• I too did London 2011 and it was unseasonably baking hot!  And on the back of months of training in the cold too!

Like the poster above has said, if it does get very warm just slow down a bit, take on water, cover your head and pour remaining water over yourself (which is what I did).

Good luck!  I'm sure it won't be that hot though ... I never rely on weather forecasts, especially ones so far in advance.

• I've just looked and computer says 12 c

Think that sounds more like it. Still think it's too early to make the weather call. Will check again next week

• weather forecasts beyond about 4-5 days are notoriously unreliable. it "might" be 20+ degrees, or it "might" be snowing. It's likely to be slightly warmer than the weather you've trained in. If it is significantly warmer on the day, then you'll need to adjust your pace down, and reassess your target finish time. annoying but true. if you don't, and you head off at your "best effort" marathon pace, and it's 20+ degrees, you'll almost certainly wilt at some point, and slow down dramatically. a slower but even pace will win out over this strategy.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

At the end of the day there's bugger all you can do about it till the day itself, when you need to pace yourself sensibly according to conditions.  Control the controllables, as some GB elite cycling coach probably once said.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

The spell checker didn't like controllables, but I think it's a bloody brilliant word.  Right up there with ovenable and Finlandization... No, it didn't like those either.

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

There is no way it will be 24 degrees on the 21st. 

I too die in the hot weather. I would rather be cold and rained on than running in the heat.

I thought you always ran in perfect air conditioned comfort?

Exactly ....... thats why I run inside.

To quote Philpub ........ I am controlling the controllables!

Your illogicality almost has it's own logic, I'll say that for it.

• What sort of temp starts to make a difference when running? 

I'd never run before the start of the year (I mean never), so every run I've done has been on or below freezing. Base layer top and 3/4 bottoms. 

I'm frightened it'll be super hot on the day and kill me. I've suffered in long bike rides before, but that's where the temp was 30+ (computer once showed 50!). I suspect for running it'll be tough much lower?

• It's a personal thing TheStone, different people have different levels of tolerance for what they find comfortable.

For me anything above about 14C is too warm for my liking.

Drink plenty, wear a hat if you need to and keep your salt intake up. It might be uncomfortable but it isn't likely to kill you.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Check out page 167 (seriously!) of the London Marathon media guide.  It's got all the weather stats for each year.

I've only done one London Marathon, so trust me to pick 2007.  Cold winter followed by the warmest day of the year so far, and the warmest London Marathon on record. What's interesting is that it's never got over low-20 degrees by midday, which is all very well for a 10k in July when you're used to that sort of thing, but a different story when you haven't had a chance to acclimatise.

Don't worry though.  This year it will be 11 degrees and overcast/sunny spells, with a 3mph South Easterly breeze.  Promise!  image

• Perfect Phil, thanks for guaranteeing that image

• The BBC is currently of the opinion that:

Monday 15 April—Sunday 21 April Settling down and warming up for a time

There are signs that the second half of April will be rather more seasonal than the first half. High pressure may build in from the west or southwest for a time and produce some more settled conditions across most parts, and given the warmer source, this should mean temperatures around or even a little above average for many parts, especially towards the south and east, although nights will still be rather chilly. The weather may become more unsettled towards the northwest later in this period though, but with a southwesterly flow developing for most places, this should mean some reasonable temperatures continuing.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I'm liking "reasonable" and "settled".  I'm no meteorologist but I believe that a single large high pressure system makes for more predictable weather than a complex system with lots of different fronts having a barny.  Just depends how much warmer it gets.

• Thanks guys lots of great info.

I am going to do the rest of my runs wrapped up in more clothes to try and get used to the heat. Went out last night in plenty of layers and was harder than normal but ok.

Just got to decide what to do this weekend....Do i get up early as i will next weekend, have my race day breakfast etc then wrap up at go for a run at 10am. Or do i wait and go for a run in the afternoon when the weather is looking like it will be in the high teens?

What you think?

• BBC forecast is now up to 21 max on Friday 19th for those who are followingimage I suspect the high humidity won't help as wel.

• It will affect your running but on the upside it means there will be even more supporters there to cheer you on!
  • Dunno about that. VLM supporters are a hardy bunch, they turn up in all weathers.