WDW Dopey Challenge...

Comments

• Hmmmmm interesting. Am thinking that is what to do.

Runlozrun, was that your plan when you signed up or did it just happen? I'm guessing the long miles for marathon training help the endurance for the HM, but thinking I will have to incorporate/adapt speed work to be more HM specific?

So think I'm Goofying then... What a wuss next to you Dopeyers!
  • The way Im looking at the Dopey (and I might have to revise this at some point), is that if you've done the training for a marathon, the 5km is a nice slow acclimatisation run and the 10km is a slow shortish training run. They are about giving the legs a little stretch and finishing as unscathed as possible. Then its on to the business end. Take the half-marathon slowly, take on plenty of fuel and fluids and make sure you get to the start line of the marathon with no injuries, niggles or blisters. Then you just tick off the remaining 26.2 miles one-at-a-time!

Easy! image

• Pace is set on the last runner crossing the start line and is then 16min mile pace  so is do able for the vast majority of runners. 

• Need an urgent reply, how do I enter an emergency number if I don't live in America?

• Bullit wrote (see)

Need an urgent reply, how do I enter an emergency number if I don't live in America?

I just made one up

• Sorry, just seen this. I think I put the hotel number where I planned to stay.

That was back in 2010, haven't done this years yet. Assume it doesn't like international mobiles?
  • Don't believe I've done it, but I just signed up for the Dopey! Can anyone that has done the Disney Marathon trip before please recommend hotels and any other advice. I have not booked anything else yet so any advice at all would be gratefully received. Thanks.

• Thanks for that, I actually put the number of the hotel I should be staying at in the end.  It's not any good for emergencies as I'll be going solo, but at least it got me in.

Big Slow Tel - Welcome aboard.  Personally I intend to stay at the Disney Pop Century resort.  Admittedly the Disney resorts are not the cheapest in the area, but they do have free event transport.  And the Value resorts are not too expensive.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Good luck on the dopey. You will have a ball.

The last two years i have ran the goofy and stayed onsite at Disney All star sports. The hotel room is basic but absolutely fine since you aren't in it all that much. That way you can take advantage of all the disney free transport between parks and they also provide free buses to ESPN for the expo. On race day they lay on coaches to take you to the start and then when you finish you jump on the one taking you back to your resort. I just found it made things easier and one less thing to worry about. Plus i thought the price of the hotel was pretty resonable as well considering they had a special event on.

Hope this helps a little.

• Let the games begin - I'm in ! image Dopey ??? I must be

• Thanks Bullit & Marty, I had looked at that one, doesn't seem to be much difference in cost between booking flght and accomodation through Disney or separately. Looks like all transfers are included if you book through them too. I think I'll go for that. 

• How did people find food choices staying at Disney resorts?  I think the benefit of the transport being sorted is worth staying at one of those, but I struggled with finding pasta that wasn't coated in thick gooey stomach blocking cheese.  Maybe I just looked in the wrong places or things may have improved.  

I did enjoy my steak after the marathon though - that was easy to find image

Exciting for everyone who has committed already!  Hubby is looking at flight options but I need to sort injury, get holiday confirmed from work etc.

So that's the Dopey for BigSlowTel and MM - what have Bullit and Gribb0 entered?  Am I going to be lost in a sea of mega runners if I'm only doing Goofy image

• See you all in January!! Signed up for the Dopey.

Now to book accommodation etc. Virgin Holidays were doing some pretty reasonable packages for Disney and non-Disney resorts.

• Mine's Dopey too.  It was going to be goofy but when they add the 10K/Dopey I knew I would have to go for that.  Gimme that bling image

• There is a rumour that from 25 april Disney are going to offer free dining plans on bookings for selected dates in 2014. It is a rumour and don't shoot me if I'm wrong but might be worth waiting a couple of weeks??
  • I don't think there is a huge rush to get a resort room just yet anyway, there are loads of rooms and that weekend (fortnight even) isn't exactly the busiest.

Plus I have to exchange my Tesco vouchers for Vigin holidays ones, so it may take me a few days image

• Signed up for the Dopey!!!! Tiggerific!!!

Must be crazy but it wil be worth it.
  • It's filling up quite quickly so we aren't the only nutcases ! I see its a new suite of medals for this year. I hope they are as good as the old ones.
  • Im trying to do a sort of cost/benefit analysis of staying in a Disney resort to staying in a non-Disney resort. Disney is more expensive, but incredibly convenient, especially during marathon weekend.

For those who have stayed at non-Disney resorts, how do you get to the start line so early in the morning? Everybody in my party will be running, so driving there and back after the marathon is simply not an option.

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Princess Leah wrote (see)
    Runlozrun, was that your plan when you signed up or did it just happen? I'm guessing the long miles for marathon training help the endurance for the HM, but thinking I will have to incorporate/adapt speed work to be more HM specific? 

My inspiration was that my boss had run a half just before the Goofy and so I wanted to at the very least beat his time which thankfully I smashed.  To be honest I felt pretty good the next day and my marathon time was only 3 mins slower than my PB.  I kept up with the 3:30 pace maker until the last couple of miles when my legs finally gave up on me.  I don't think you need to put any specific training in for the half, your marathon training should leave you in good shape for the half. 

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Princess Leah wrote (see)

How did people find food choices staying at Disney resorts?  I think the benefit of the transport being sorted is worth staying at one of those, but I struggled with finding pasta that wasn't coated in thick gooey stomach blocking cheese.  Maybe I just looked in the wrong places or things may have improved.  

I stayed offsite in a villa and drove in, it was very easy with free parking.  I can recommend Olive Garden for pasta the night before.

• So that's the Dopey for BigSlowTel and MM - what have Bullit and Gribb0 entered?  Am I going to be lost in a sea of mega runners if I'm only doing Goofy image

I went for the Goofy - just looking at Disney resorts now image

• Have booked flights and accommodation at Disneys All Star Sports resort, now to start saving the pennies and putting in the miles!
  • Gazza81 We stay off site in self catering accommodation for cost and drive ourselves. its easy to get in on race days and find being able to sit in the car while waiting a real bonus. We stay in the lake buena vista resort and spa so it's only 10 mins drive away so not too far to get home after running.
  • Thanks MM. I decided to go for the All Star Sports resort in the end too (it didnt seem right to go for Movies or Music). The transportation thing was the real clincher. I cant even walk after a marathon, so driving is just a big no. Even the step up onto a bus could prove troublesome!!

• I know exactly how that feels. In jan we did the goofy on really poor training ( injury and illness). The walk to the car felt longer than the previous 39.3 !
  • It was more like a crawl MM!!
  • Nice one Gazza, we can hobble to the bus stop together!!

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

BST - we stayed at all star sports for the last two years and it was great. Nice pool to relax those muscles after the raceimage. And in the lovely hot sun as well...

And if they do the same as this year, in the hotel food court, they put special breakfast boxes on for the runners to buy over the weekend and also a special pasta option on the menu for the evening as well. Disney dont seem to be able to do enough for you once you are there. You will have a fantastic time. Enjoy. If you have any other questions, just ask...

• Hi I just saw this thread

Is everyone on here flying out from the UK to Orlando?

I'm really interested in the Dopey but worried as someone else said it might be an injury waiting to happen.  There only seem to be guaranteed entries left with tour companies.

I am a slow runner but finding it hard to resist a bit of Disney bling. Done 2 marathons, several halfs and 10ks.

I will probably be travelling on my own so looking for another fellow lady runner to share a room with potentially and perhaps fly out to Orlando together.

Anyone?