Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

All, what a fantastic weekend. Been a bit busy since I got back and now just catching up with everything that has been going on post race.

It is great today to be able to walk down the stairs almost normally. My hammy is still not happy with me but it will get over it. I will be kind and give it about a weeks rest and will then slowly start introducing it to running again.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome. It made the weekend for me.

Special thanks to TD and the Supporters out on the course. It was great seeing the flag and being able to pick people out in the crowd.

Thanks also to ATM and RS for all the pre Paris information.

For all those talking about garmins, mine also measured long and was doing it almost from the start. This must be a Paris thing as my garmin measured spot on during my most recent HM just north of London.

There has been some debate about the crowd support. I can only compare it to London as that is the only other marathon I have run and that is probably not a fair comparison as London has so many charity runners which bring out a massive crowd. Eurosport made a big thing about it but their coverage was poor compared to the BBC's coverage of the VLM. In places it was great and in others it was thin but always positive. It was odd having spectators on the ruunning line in a few places and for those of us who were struggling for one reason or another during the last 7kms or so some support would have been most welcome.

Have not decided on next year as of yet. It will depend on the date being right.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

someone has a little list of all our next races somewhere, don't they?image

For you, anything...

Apr 8: Alexander's birthday.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 14: Edinburgh Rock N Roll Half - Helterskelter.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Keyser Suze, Straycelt.
    Apr 27: Shakespeare Rotary Marathon - Richard L.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan. Sunderland Half - Iain M.
    May 1: Montauban 18k - Onetit.
    May 3: North York Moors Marathon - Weedy.
    May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
    May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
    May 9: Trois Rocs Trail Ultra - Onetit.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Chester Half - Dave The Ex Spartan. Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 25-26: Chislet 24-hour challenge - DV.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - DJ Wolf, Tiddy, Weedy, NCane. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 22: Hadrian's Wall Ultra - Richard L, Weedy.
    Jun 23: Alnwick Half - Iain M. Shrewsbury Half - Yer Maj. Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 4: Peachtree 10k - Danni.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16: Hamsterley Forest Marathon - Weedy.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - Emmy, Helterskelter, Iain M, Maus, RR, TD.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Jul 30: Maus' birthday.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Aug 17: Helsinki Marathon - Pottermoss.
    Sep 7: Aberfeldy Marthon - Clag.
    Sep 8: Run to the Beat Half - Jimbob.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, RS, Tiddy, Weedy.
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
    Oct 6: Barcelona Tri - Simon Mac. Cardiff Half - Yer Maj. Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 13: Chicago Marathon - Danni. Marine Corps Marathon - Iain M, Rick James.
    Oct 20: Amsterdam Marathon - Megs, Weedy. Yorkshire Marathon - Malcs.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy. Venice Marathon - Elizabeth.
    Oct 28: Dublin Marathon - James B.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 2: DLR's birthday.
    Nov 24: Florence Marathon - Engineer.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 6: Newcastle Racecourse Marathon - Weedy.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Mar 1: RS's birthday.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday. Peter B's birthday.

My confirmed races for the rest of this year are as follows :

May 27 London 10k

Oct 6 Royal Parks Half

Oct 28 Dublin Marathon

• Emmy - really sorry.

DV - I'm in the definites.

Suze - how'd you manage to find that!

PC - hehe, sorry. Next year's will be easier, I promise.

Carl - I'll add and post next Monday.

Anyone heard how Danni's doing?

• Flying home as we speak, Weedy, I hope somewhat better.

Garmins always read long, it may be (in RS's case for example) partially due to weaving but they just aren't that accurate.

• Evenin All,

I gave myself 24hrs sans-forum to be a tourist and come back to 15+ pages to get through, you guys are truely sensational image

Dannir - head over heart is always a good call, hope you're feeling better soon.

Emmy - thinking of you and the real Mr Emmy, that's the last thing anyone needs, let alone on top of post Mara emotions

Was so great to meet you all while I've been here, as Mr T put it, you're a great bunch of kids. Honestly, it wouldn't have been close to the same without you.

I was pretty devo when I got a return of the sharp stabbing pain in my knee 600m into the race. Gave my body a severe talking to and switched goal from time to finishing. To say I was disappointed would be a bit of an understatement, but leaves plenty of room for improvement. I'm still limping all over at the moment, but starting to master going downstairs again today. Massive win.

Thank you so much to the supporters, when I saw TD's flag hanging over the road at the first point I had THE biggest smile on my face. And then having DLR run with me and give me some course advice towards the end really helped push through. The best, you're all absolutely the best.

I hate to say that this is likely to be a one and only for me, coming this far for something this amazing isn't really that feasible, but if the opportunity arises again you'll be the first to know about it.

We're off to London on Wed for a week, so if you're around for a drink or a run or both, let me know. AND when YOU come down to Aus for your next run, make sure you let me know! I'd LOVE to come out with you, even if it is a training run image

P.s. there are many photos to come, but may just take some time with the whole being on holiday thingimage
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    I was 0.15 out on the mile markers from early on. The garmin lost signal in the tunnel but then picked ip the position accurately afterwards.
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    If its the 13th I'm a defo. If its the 6 th I'm a possible. I hope it's 13th as er indoors and bin lids can come as we can spend a week there.
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Kaz
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

All together now: HAAAAAAAPPY Birthday toooooo KAZ, HAAAAAPPPY birthday too KAZ!, HAPPY BIIIIRRRRTTTTHHHDAAAAYYYY to KAAAAAAAZ, HAPPY Birthday day to YOU!  Hip hip horray, hip hip horray, hip hip HOORAY!

With the garmins, it's weaving and also that GPS is accurate to ~10 metres.  Over 42.2 kms that 10 metres can add up to a bit.

MM - that photo is a gem!!!  I hadn't seen the video of me and DV at the start.  All very blase really.image

• Thank You!!

I am now going to spend the day at EuroDisney......mmmmm......but its easier going today then tomorrow when weve got to sort flat etc, and as I told Alannah if we go today we can stay longer as she doesnt hve to be up early tomorrow!!! I will let her sleep in for her Birthday!!image
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Have a great day, Kaz image

My Garmin measured long too at 42.7k in the end. I had been keeping an eye On it though and it was all the weaving I had to do. Doing the pace calculations to cover the extra got increasingly more difficult later on thoughimage

Febo's measured 1.5 km short!
  • Happy birthday Kaz image ! And Alexander too, for Monday, if you're around.

Jus T - I'd be up for a drink, or a (gentle) run when you're in London - let me know what day.

My Garmin has read long on every marathon - it's usually about 26.6. But this year it was only 26.45. What was Febo up to - did she take a shortcut image
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I genuinely think her Garmin is faulty, it's been way out on every single training run we've done together and she seems to have a lot of trouble with it generally
  • Kaz - Happy Birthday beautiful girl! I can't believe you're only 21 - you don't look a day over 18!image

I'm jealous you're going to Eurodisney...say hi to Mickey for me.

• Hi everyone. JusT - was a pleasure to me you & your man. What part of 'stralia do you live in?

As for Garmin distances - forget about it. The GPS implementation in these devices is such that they only warrant +/- 2% accuracy. Over 42,195m, that means the watches can be between 41.351 to 43.038kms and they are still operating within the manufacturer's guidelines. These things cost less than 200quid most of the time.

The precision of the electronics to deliver planes and missiles and stuff to metre by metre accuracy costs a fair bit more!

This is why if you are chasing a very specific goal time, you can not judge by your watch. You have to have a time plan taped to your wrist (or memorised) and then compare yourself at relevant km markers. Also, unless you have a footpod for the tunnels, the GPS watches get really confused. I've lost and gained kms in those tunnels before. I now have a footpod!

Great day to you all! TD image

• That last post was very difficult to write.  I had to wipe all the sprayed tea off the monitor screen. I was grinning though. image

Marathon Maus wrote (see)

RS: Comment for supporters guide (direct translation from French): "Supporters of forum threaders will find that support for the runs is at its most enjoyable when performed with the accompaniment of 2 men known by internet monikers of questionable formidableness, chimps mounted to those men, horses to hold at kilometre 32, a generous containment of vaseline to provide special attention to sensitive areas, specially-selected sustenance to allow your organism to deeply recuperate and a giant flag pole".

I can only promise to bring myself and my giant flag pole back next year (seeing as so many people liked it), hopefully with a Weedy designed flag to go atop!

An idea I thought about ATM, was that if someone made a little form to capture everyone's feedback about their hotels, it would make a good source of info for the future. Price, distance to start line, noise, quality of breakfasts, friendliness, other criteria that are important.  Would someone take this on and make it happen?

• ATM...   hotel info..      I was at the Concorde Lafayette.     Here is some info about it for your list...:

• it has its own access directly to the Metro.  The station is Porte Mailot and is just two stops from the Arc.  Location for the start/finish is very easy
    • Amazing views of the Eiffel Tower, but you need to pay extra for a room on that side of the hotel.
    • Free wifi throughout the hotel, including in the room.  I worked for two days and this was invaluable.
    • No kettles - I brought my own.
    • Very expensive to eat and drink.  Avoid the rip-off and eat locally - plenty of options available.
    • Some reviews on the internet have been critical, but I found the staff to be very friendly, the room was clean and of good quality and there was no traffic noise as such.  
    • The bathroom had a bath with a very good shower over it.
    • I would stay there again.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good idea Tricky- run it up the flag pole....image

11 days until the VLM....

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Jus T - I'd be up for a drink, or a (gentle) run when you're in London - let me know what day.

RR, JT - i'll try to play as well. Little London sights/park jog might be nice followed by a swifty. If you guys arrange anything let me know when you doing it and i'll see if i can make it.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    How's your taper madness, OO?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday kaz. I hope you and the girls have a wonderful day.

Jus T - Great to meet you and Mr T at the weekend. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

As for the VLM, if anyone is up for a some pasta the night before or a drink afterwards then give me a shout. 

• Porridge update..:

I think Sainsburys basics range, Moma and Oats So Simple must all come from the same factory.  They all taste the same, with the exception of the obvious addition of fruits of your choice.   I can see no point in paying extra for the brand name.   You may as well buy the cheapest Sainsburys basics range...   its the same porridge, just in plain packaging.   The containers for the other two brands are identical, just with colourful branded design.

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

That last post was very difficult to write.  I had to wipe all the sprayed tea off the monitor screen. I was grinning though. image

Marathon Maus wrote (see)

RS: Comment for supporters guide (direct translation from French): "Supporters of forum threaders will find that support for the runs is at its most enjoyable when performed with the accompaniment of 2 men known by internet monikers of questionable formidableness, chimps mounted to those men, horses to hold at kilometre 32, a generous containment of vaseline to provide special attention to sensitive areas, specially-selected sustenance to allow your organism to deeply recuperate and a giant flag pole".

I can only promise to bring myself and my giant flag pole back next year (seeing as so many people liked it), hopefully with a Weedy designed flag to go atop!

An idea I thought about ATM, was that if someone made a little form to capture everyone's feedback about their hotels, it would make a good source of info for the future. Price, distance to start line, noise, quality of breakfasts, friendliness, other criteria that are important.  Would someone take this on and make it happen?

I hoped it might make somebody smile! Thanks for the photos, they're fab!

I'll compile the hotel list - ATM has done enough! Send me the details people!

• Maus..   I just tried to PM you but I don't think it worked...  you'll just have to copy the text from above..

• MM (cheeky photographer girl)

use this for the Hotel form: (i'll probably stay there again next year)

Le Jimbob wrote (see)

my hotel was so close to the Arc - i could spit at it from my window - the downside was that with the saturday night traffic going round the Arc sounded like a Rock Concert outside my hotel window - although Ingrid slept like a log! the breakfast was good - the staff really friendly - they started the brekkie half hour early at 6.30 to accomodate the runners. They moved the checkout time from 12 to 1pm to accomodate runners checking out that day and they held one room for runners to use to have a shower in case runners didnt get back in time. I actually got back there at 12.50 but i'd agreed with him to checkout of the room and used the hotel as bagcheck and he gave me the key for the other room to have a shower. Such nice guys! it was the royal elysees, 6 avenue de victor hugo. Oh - and they had kettles in the rooms!

• Happy birthday kaz - lovely to bump into you and the girls as well. Journey home was good, thanks, although could have done without the three hour connection time between trains (my fault, I was erring on the side of caution) followed by the cancellation of our train after said three hour wait, but ho hum. 

I'm going on my first run tonighT - won't be more than 4k I reckon, just to stretch out. Looking forward to it - I've missed running, weirdly!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Kaz imageimage

I'm getting my anticipated cold image I'm taking Vit C but I think it may be losing the battle.

Tricky - when you add gels to your water bottle, do you mix it 50:50?

• KS - thanks for the heads up on the blog. She came up to me and said I love your Irn Bru top, my friend ran the Breakfast Race in her one. Is your friend RedWineRunner I asked (I follow her blog)? Well she was. Running is such a small world and crosses all boundaries. I think I love runners more than the running!

Kaz - hope you have a smashing day.

Emmy - really sad news, I'm so sorry.

PF - one of the girls I run with here is doing Mont St Michel, she's a tallish dark haired young American girl.  I'll tell her to look out for you.

Right, I need to knock a chunk of time off Sunday .... suggestions please.  So I suppose that means a yes for next year groan .... on the bright side I get to see you lot again!