overtaking etiquette

13»

Comments

• A race is a race. Overtaking sort of goes with the territory - or am I doing it wrong?

• If someone pushed me as I tried to get through then they wouldn't be finishing the race as my shin would be meeting one of their chins.

Runners with MP3's should be picked out by marshalls and put into their own starting pen at the back so they can all be ignorant to each other and give the rest of us peace.

There's no overtaking etiquette, pass wherever there's a space however if everyone is sensible about their starting position then overtaking would happen gradually and evenly. I've went flying past people in 10k road races before and it isn't ideal for me or the person I'm overtaking, all it takes is one step to the side and we're both done.

As for starting pens, the Hull 10k last year was terrible for this, a massive group of first timers all huddled in the sub35 area image the start was a farce, I was reduced to a walk and just ended up charging through.

• literatin wrote (see)

Ahem. I think you mean she's one of those vain types... etc.

Apologies m'lady. The chap who enquired as to how l would note your number led me down the path of assuming you were a man.

Now I know you're just a girl then i'll simply catch you up again and make a note of your number:P

•  I wear an ipod now and again in longer races ( marathon plus) and i am never rude or ignorant to any other runner at any stage of the "race"

oh look at me i'm quicker than you move out the way i'm coming through.

Most of you folk think running a 10k   .007 off  a second faster than your last one 

makes you the bees knees but your rudeness  in your haste to be up there with

the pace only makes you an Ass.   Nay, not an Ass,

a donkey, a cart-horse, a mule.....image

You's all make me laugh 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Piss off, David. Gareth will know what I look like from the brief glimpse he gets as I shove past him. Also what I look like from behind in a cloud of dust.

• My very first race was the adidas 5k in Hyde Park a couple of years ago. The rules said that slower runners / walkers should move to the right to allow people to pass. I've run my 10ks and half marathon like this since because i ssumed it was a universal rule.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

K80, I think the vlm instructions say to move to the left, though I'm not sure. That seems more logical to me because you'd expect to overtake on the right, but it might depend on the course.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

How do you know Literatin isnt a complete munter? We've only got a fuzzy picture of her hanging upside reading a book.

It's quite a mesmerising pose.  I like to imagine it as a back-flip caught in action.

• Gareth Edwards 21 wrote (see)

An eye for an eye and all that. Might teach them some manners in the future.

..........said the pissed up drunk to the police after the bar fight image

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Gareth Edwards 21 wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

Ahem. I think you mean she's one of those vain types... etc.

Apologies m'lady. The chap who enquired as to how l would note your number led me down the path of assuming you were a man.

Now I know you're just a girl then i'll simply catch you up again and make a note of your number:P

How do you know Literatin isnt a complete munter? We've only got a fuzzy picture of her hanging upside reading a book.

Ha. l have often wondered what the hell was going off there. They do say silly old bats roost like that after all, guess now we know it's true :P

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ha. l have often wondered what the hell was going off there. They do say silly old bats roost like that after all, guess now we know it's true :P

Crikey. I think we've finally found someone you're funnier than, DF3. Bet you can run faster than him, too.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

For some reason I thought you were a bloke Literatin. (tell me you haven't always had that pic and I've just missed it for months?)

And for some reason I thought your name was something to do with some kind of liberal/freedom fighting beliefs rather than what is...when I think about it, clearly about your book loving.

Oh well! image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Nope, always been a liberal freedom-fighting book-loving girl!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If someone is ever rude or obnoxious enough to literally barge past me because l have the audacity to run with 2 or 3 others just to shave 5 seconds off their finishing time then i'll kick their legs clean away from them.

This is supposed to be a social/enjoyable activity but some of the behaviour advocated in this thread id be pretty surprised to see in a bar full of drunks.

Also interesting to see it's those on here who are clearly a damn sight faster than average that are displaying this sort of arrogance.

It all depends on the circumstances. If you and your gang of mates all want to run together as some kind of little support network, noone would have a problem with that if you do it mid to back of pack, and not on narrow roads.

If you start way too far forward, and block the people who have trained very hard to "shave 5 seconds" from their time, that's arrogance in itself from you.

Luclily, the majority of races sort themselves out. It's all relative. I stay out of the way of the people faster than me, and then expect similar from those slower than me. That way everyone has a fair chance of getting out of the day what they are aiming for.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Nope, always been a liberal freedom-fighting book-loving girl!

Are you quite a fasty then? I note your comments to the chaps earlier

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Are you quite a fasty then? I note your comments to the chaps earlier

Hmm. I'd say faster than David, but not as fast as you.

• literatin wrote (see)

Crikey. I think we've finally found someone you're funnier than, DF3. Bet you can run faster than him, too.

I've no idea who that's aimed at. Me or David. So until you clear that up l don't know whether to be offended or not.

Please clear up the confusion so l can think of a suitable retort or smile happily inside that your having a dig at someone elseimage