Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Tartan:  will look out for her.  My race number is: 1973, i'll be the one in the running skirt, black compression socks, purple top and smile (at the start and all the way through to the end)....

Kaz:  happy birthday image

10 mile run done - all in one piece no wind but a tad chilly - perfect conditions actually.  Now awating the rain and gale force winds forecast for this afternoon - joyful joyful!!!!

Am a maybe for next year - depends how the 2 marathons this year go... however we do have direct flights to Paris from Jersey nowimage.

• RR: that app "myfitness" thingy (technical term) is brilliant - am loving it... when I log my eating/execise etc always eat better for some odd reasonimage.  Thank you so much .....

• Weedy - one of those weird coincidences! I started following that lady's blog because she'd done Loch Ness and saw she was doing Paris. I think she's an American living in Scotland, judging from the flag and her aversion to the cold. Was lovely spotting the Irn Bru in her round up post yesterday though! The internet has really made the world a small place. 

In terms of races, if I could be added to the list that'd be great:

April 21st - London Marathon

May 19th - North Norfolk half marathon

Possibles: Southwold 10k (Usually last week ish in November)

MarathonMaus; a hotel to add to the list, please (it's actually my tripadvisor review so feel free to edit the obvious details out):

Hotel de Cabourg 5, rue du Mont Dore | 17th Arr., 75017 Paris, France (Batignolles-Monceau)

We stayed in Hotel de Cabourg for a long weekend for the marathon de Paris. 
    It was reasonable for €75 euro a night (€77 with tax). We didn't have breakfast but they did let us use their kettle for a pre run porridge - essential!
    The staff were polite without being overly friendly, there was a lift and the bedrooms were small but perfectly adequate. 
    One small grumble was that we asked for a double room when in fact we got two single beds pushed together. That was manageable though. 
    In terms of location, it's a 15/20 minute walk through the beautiful Parc Monceau to the Arc de Triomphe and you can see the Sacre Coeur rising up in the other direction in Montmartre. Amazing. 
    Lots of bistros and eateries to choose from and even a market round the corner selling delicious looking cheese and meats, along with spices and some jewellery. 
    If I was looking for a practical hotel in a good location, I'd probably think of this hotel again.

Thanks!

• KS - thats the hotel i had booked before i switched to the one right by the arc! image

• Anyone help on loading photos on here??

Ta
  • Orbutt wrote (see)
    Tricky - when you add gels to your water bottle, do you mix it 50:50?

That's right sir. So it's a quaffable mixture that means you don't have too much weight to carry but you will want to drink extra water provided around the course. The gels go down much easier like this and there's no mucking about trying to rip sachets and getting all that sticky goo across your face.

Hope you keep most of the germs at bay. I've not properly recovered from a cold I've had for 19 days now and can hardly talk this week. Ah well.

My idea Mausey was to collate people's hotel experiences into a brief summary so we could perhaps make 4-5 suggestions next year about ideal places. It could add to the fun to be bumping into people in the hotels.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tricky, Thanks mate.

I don't think your lack of voice is entirely down to your cold, though. I do recall a certain level of vociferous support - plus a speech or twoimage

• Orbutt, we'll get him a megaphone for next yearimage
  • On the subject of hotels, I stayed in the Sofitel La Defense - this was a really, really nice hotel - a couple of stops away on the Metro (no changes). They opened breakfast early for the marathon - a word of caution though as this cost €38 for two of us (though this only appeared as a single breakfast on the bill, so that could be per room or an error). We were upgraded free of charge and had a lovely room with big bath, BOSE stereo system, all the mod cons. Overall I'd recommend for level of comfort and practicality, but there may well be better value out there.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

I am booked in to do the Abersoch 10 k on 1st June. A very nice, hilly but scenic run.

• Suze - added, altho I'll hold off on the Southwold 10 until it's a definite and you've got the date. It's a v small world indeed. Last year I bumped into 4 people i knew/vaguely knew on the run, including someone who lived 10 miles from me.

Other races folks have mentioned been added as well

• Dear List Fairy, please add these to the list for me:

26 May Paris-St Germain 20k

29 Sep Paris-Versailles 16k

20-25 Oct Inverness to Skye Over The Highlands 136k

More to follow hopefully.  Thanks!

• Le Jimbob wrote (see)

MM (cheeky photographer girl)

use this for the Hotel form: (i'll probably stay there again next year)

Le Jimbob wrote (see)

my hotel was so close to the Arc - i could spit at it from my window - the downside was that with the saturday night traffic going round the Arc sounded like a Rock Concert outside my hotel window - although Ingrid slept like a log! the breakfast was good - the staff really friendly - they started the brekkie half hour early at 6.30 to accomodate the runners. They moved the checkout time from 12 to 1pm to accomodate runners checking out that day and they held one room for runners to use to have a shower in case runners didnt get back in time. I actually got back there at 12.50 but i'd agreed with him to checkout of the room and used the hotel as bagcheck and he gave me the key for the other room to have a shower. Such nice guys! it was the royal elysees, 6 avenue de victor hugo. Oh - and they had kettles in the rooms!

Moi? Cheeky?

JB: Did your hotel have a name, or is it like Platform 9 and 3/4...? 

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    Tricky - when you add gels to your water bottle, do you mix it 50:50?

That's right sir. So it's a quaffable mixture that means you don't have too much weight to carry but you will want to drink extra water provided around the course. The gels go down much easier like this and there's no mucking about trying to rip sachets and getting all that sticky goo across your face.

Hope you keep most of the germs at bay. I've not properly recovered from a cold I've had for 19 days now and can hardly talk this week. Ah well.

My idea Mausey was to collate people's hotel experiences into a brief summary so we could perhaps make 4-5 suggestions next year about ideal places. It could add to the fun to be bumping into people in the hotels.

What Orbutt said +1.

Sounds good - I was thinking an excel spreadsheet might be in order, but I'll have a play first, as well as incorporating recommendations from ATM's guide.

ATM: Can you resend me your guide? I think I've only got last year's...

• Yes MM - and that name was included in the body of text - hidden in my bad grammer .......

Such nice guys! it was the royal elysees, 6 avenue de victor hugo. Oh - and they had kettles in the rooms!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TP - I think you missed off: Eco trail de Brussels image

I know that this has been asked before but what does the time in the brackets mean in the newspaper? Mine is giving me a really strange time!
  • Someone said it was the 40k time, but mine is way out, so not sure about that.  Will try and track it via my Garmin to see if it makes sense.

http://foytllamas.blogspot.fr/

Photos from our stay in Paris

• babysitter arrived this morning to look after the kiddlies ciomplaining she had a cold - i left the house, 6 hours later I have a full on cold! grrrr FRICK FRICK FRICKING FRICKimage

• Emmy....    how is your injury....?    I have an idea for you to think about...    during the Paris marathon you mentioned that one day you might like to have a go at a 100 miler.   Fancy running the Thames Path with me in a couple of months time..?   I had an idea to do the TP100 solo..  just for fun and to mentally tick the DNF off...   the path will dry, flooding will recede and I'm sure it will be a nice run.  I could get Mrs DV and children to crew and maybe you could get some crew too..?   With no time pressures, it might be a good introduction to you for the distance.   Interested..?   I'm probably going to find a weekend to do it... and you'll be welcome to run with me.

Maus...   we were talking about the Lamb show and how I helped put it back together.   TMB are in London in a couple of weeks time..  you should try to get to see the show and then you will have bragging rights for ever and Mr Maus will be eternally jealous..   Friday 19th and Saturday 20th April, Shepherds Bush Empire.   I'll be at the Saturday show and taking my little boy with me.  This wlll most likely be the last tour it is performed, so miss this and there won't be another chance..   here is a web link.  It is 100% authentic to how Genesis performed it.

http://www.o2shepherdsbushempire.co.uk/event/48547/the-musical-box-the-final-performance-of-the-lamb--tickets

• Le Jimbob wrote (see)

KS - thats the hotel i had booked before i switched to the one right by the arc! image

A-ha, maybe it was you who recommended it, thank you!

(Also, look who just learned how to quote. I'm brilliant)

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    DV - can you remind me of this on the weekend when I'm back in Belgium. Very interested in it but need to check the weekends image
  • Hi all.

Been following the thread from a far! Just wanted to say 1. Congratulations to everyone that ran and 2. Thanks to everyone for posting on here! The thread was massively helpful in my preparations!! It was so reassuring to know that everybody else was having similar pre race panics (frantically picking up a mini kettle from Argos for porridge before flying out!)

Paris was my first marathon, and I managed to finish in 3h 31mins, pretty sure I couldn't have done that without all your help, even though you didn't know it! image

Hope everyone is recovering well and had a lovely time in Paris.

Nikki Elise x
  • Hi all I would jest like to thank you all for the compeny in parisimage.

I injoyed the marathon and the evening in the irish bar.It was nice to see you all,you are as nice in the flesh as on here.

• Congratulations Nikki on a fantastic result in your debut marathon. Have you got the bug to do another?
  • Marathon Maus wrote (see)

DV: Definitely doing Paris 2014.

RS: Comment for supporters guide (direct translation from French): "Supporters of forum threaders will find that support for the runs is at its most enjoyable when performed with the accompaniment of 2 men known by internet monikers of questionable formidableness, chimps mounted to those men, horses to hold at kilometre 32, a generous containment of vaseline to provide special attention to sensitive areas, specially-selected sustenance to allow your organism to deeply recuperate and a giant flag pole".

Frickin' hilarious imageimageimageimage

Jus T wrote (see)

Thank you so much to the supporters, when I saw TD's flag hanging over the road at the first point I had THE biggest smile on my face. And then having DLR run with me and give me some course advice towards the end really helped push through. 

I dread to think what I said!  I can't have said much I was struggling to keep up with you.

yer_maj wrote (see)
    I genuinely think her Garmin is faulty, it's been way out on every single training run we've done together and she seems to have a lot of trouble with it generally

Has she maybe got 'Auto Pause' switched on?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

babysitter arrived this morning to look after the kiddlies ciomplaining she had a cold - i left the house, 6 hours later I have a full on cold! grrrr FRICK FRICK FRICKING FRICKimage

Jimbob - sack her. I've never met her and she's given me a cold tooimage

• My daughter has a cold , so been staying well away from her and taking heaps of vit c ,

Stayed in apartments during the stay so can't help with lists for hotels ,

But can recommend Airbnb for people wanting to self cater for a cheaper price than hotels