Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• I better drink some more beet juice. I dont want to get caught up in #themerge

• can you get cream or pill for thatimage

• Afternoon,

So I am bnot the only once concerned about it now being warm!!! Oh well.

3 miles this morning and now rest before Sunday.   

Tiem for pasta tommorrow!!!    

• I'm on the beet's this week!

Ok, the merge won't be anything like it is in London as we're only talking the very back of the elites vs. the very front of the mass start. I very well expect to in the merge since I don't want to do my usual sprint out of the blocks first half and wheels fall off second! The merge may well just consist of me from the elite start!
  • I hope that the Channel 4 TV coverage will have footage of #themerge, anyone got any contacts they can tip off image

• I think #themerge will be somewhat of an anticlimax, especially as I'm involved!
  • Am I correct in saying that the C4 coverage consists of an hour of highlights on Sat 20th?
  • Train ticket booked, travelling down Fri am. Might c some of u at the expo Fri PM?

2hours of work left (in between posting on this forum) and then work done and dusted.

Loving the carbo loading, started yesterday!!!!!!
  • Runningguy, I'd heard its the 20th at 7am! #themerge isn't going to be a ratings winner isn't it!

Still, fairly impressive for a young marathon to get TV coverage.
  • Yep that's what I heard about the tv coverage too. Would have liked to see more, but will set my alarm on the 20th nonetheless. I will be at the expo on Friday - incredibly excited about signing up for next year - I will be the one walking around with a big smile and lots of shopping bags where I get carried away at the stands and spend too much! Lol
  • Darn it! I'm just not fast enough to be in with a chance of witnessing #themerge. Lombster getting mobbed by the red-bibs would be high drama and definitely worth TV coverage in my view.

Meanwhile, lots of fraught weather and packing-related posts going on here. Difficult staying calm with all this nervous energy bonding around isn't it. My t-shirt transfers arrived today. Just putting the charity vest through (yet another) wash to make sure it's properly broken in, then it'll be TIME TO IRON. Important to get positioning right - don't want to spend 3:40 with crowds of strangers staring at the boobs. Most undignified.

Off to find more beetroot......
  • I am LOVING all the wind / weather discussion on here and am following intently, although we all know how unreliable it is this far ahead!

I'm starting to get a small amount of heel pain, and as I have struggled with plantar fasciitis before, I've decided yesterday's run was my last. It was still cold, so Sunday may be my first warm run since last autumn... I don't think it'll be too uncomfortable though. Hopefully just some nice sun to bring the spectators out. image

• Does anyone know if a date has been set for 2014 marathon?
  • john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Date - it's always the week before London if that helps!

• Next question when is London!!! I'm planning on going away next yr for Easter hols and I think I'm not going to be able to run Brighton.
  • Maybe I should wear the wig until I've at least gone through the merge!?
  • Slowly Steadily - when you ran the Eastbourne half were you wearing a black Brighton Marathon tshirt?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    The Green Fairy wrote (see)

Slowly Steadily - when you ran the Eastbourne half were you wearing a black Brighton Marathon tshirt?

Whoever it was must have felt pretty foolish when he realised he was in the wrong race.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I've found out how to increase the temperature on Sunday.  I go to the weather site and press F5 periodically during the day.

Now, does anybody know how to reduce it again! image

• Yes keep the wig til after the merge lombster it will make you easier to spot when the merge happens image and to those asking next years is confirmed as Sunday 6 April
  • Hi all, longtime lurker here, will be at the start line on Sunday for my first marathon. All this talk of wind is making me more nervous than I already was and now wondering if I should revise what was already a bit of a stretch target. I ran the Brighton half in 1:42 earlier in the year and have done 3 20 milers but have only done 35 miles per week average due to nursing an Achilles problem (which is now fine) so wondering if going out with the 3:45 pace group is asking for trouble!

Good luck to all running!
  • Ahh, same weekend as Paris next year? I can't decide which to do?
  • I'm sorely tempted to do Paris next year - this year will be three Brighton's in a row now, I really need to branch out a bit. If anyone on here has done both Paris and Brighton in the past, how do they compare?
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
    Lee Coombes wrote (see)

Some great advice for those running on Sunday. (ad free external link).

Plan well, have a great race.

http://natrun.co.uk/the-night-before/

ad free but still spam as you're a contributor to the site....image

Is that the way it works?... If so, my apologies. It's a balancing act between linking to what you believe to be helpful content, and annoying merry hell out of everyone.

Self promotion vs Indecent exposure, if you will.

• JR2408 - Welcome, if you've trained for 3:45 pace then I'd say definitely go for it image

• jr2408 wrote (see)

I ran the Brighton half in 1:42 earlier in the year and have done 3 20 milers but have only done 35 miles per week average due to nursing an Achilles problem (which is now fine) so wondering if going out with the 3:45 pace group is asking for trouble!

Good luck to all running!

This depends on whether you raced the 1:42 half, or ran within yourself. Ditto for the 20 Mile Paces. 

The bare facts say that you can go under 3:45, at face value at least. Just give it a go. Better to run in at 3:50 having tried, than 3:58 and feel there was more there.

• Hi all, at the risk of asking the same question thats probably been asked a hundred times already, can anyone tell me how hilly this race is?

Looking forward to it, third time lucky for me to hopefully get sub 3, starting with the elites will help. 5 x 20+ milers and some decent race times achieved recently: 34 min 10k and 58 min 10 mile, so feeling confident.

Good luck everyone!

• Hi Mitch, it's really not hilly at all - starting with the elites you miss out the slight incline round the edge of Preston Park, then the only other incline is when you come out of Brighton towards Ovingdean, but it's only an incline, definitely not a hill - I can run up it the same pace as flat so it certainly won't bother you one bit image

Some fantastic times you've got going on there, you are going to smash that 3 hours image

• Hi Barbie, you have put my mind at ease! Lets hope the wind stays away now for a perfect race day.

I know that i should smash it, which is why i am really looking forward to Sunday, but still nervous all the same as both previous marathons (London and Portsmouth) were not good experiences.

• Mitch, Brighton knocks spots of London, it really does. The pressure feels less, yet the crowds are significantly better.