Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Nic E wrote (see)

DLR - Both!  I made the most of the great breakfast on Saturday morning, but only managed a very quick appearance on the Sunday - felt too nervous to manage more than a gulp of coffee and a half-hearted attempted to eat some bread.

If you saw a fella who looked like brad Pitt with a shaven head, on his Jack Jones, that'll have been me.

• See what's happening here. Everyone's lost a bit of focus, the spring weather is starting to warm up and everyone begins to hop around like wild bunnies thinking about their organisms.

Think I'll come here more often.

• DLR - Brad Pitt... I knew you looked familiar!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Brad Pitt would look better with no hair.

It seems that the collective thread sap is rising...image
  • A Time To Kill on Film4.

Sandra Bullock. Incredible.

• Well back to work/reality with a massive bump but Paris was a great way to end the  frivolity of the last few months image

Hotel recommendations - Hotel Duret on Rue Duret - is literally 5mn from the start/finish.  It wasn't cheap - c.€195 per night (but that could have been due to the lateness - 1 week prior to the race), lovely room, balcony, bath, no kettle but staff happy to bring freshly brewed coffee, hot water and ice (for my umm.... bath) up to the room, free wifi and amazingly helpful staff, would definitely stay there again.

Jimbob/RS/RR - am keen for a VLR support meet up, will you keep me posted?

Kaz - Happy Birthday, hope you had fun with Micky & Minnie  image

Emmy - So sorry to hear your news - sending you big virtual hugs and enjoy the time with your family in the UK.

Had such a great weekend; purely down to the support and camaraderie of everyone here, it was brilliant fun.  Spring and organisms are most definitely sprouting aplenty!

• I feel like I've stumbled into a seedy bar in a very disreputable neighbourhood.

Hi Nikki - that's a brilliant result.

1T - posting pics is a nightmare these days. Most of us can only post by cutting and pasting a URL into the left of the three options when you click on the add photo icon. But sometimes even that doesn't work (seems to be okay with smaller pics - ie under 250k)

Forum Wife - that's amazing you got it today. Only posted it 4pm yesterday.

Speaking of lists... here we go (DV - I don't mind looking after this one, DLR - I'll let you look after the shagging list) Apologies if I've missed anyone off or got them in the wrong bit. Had to skim back a fair few pages. I'll add it on the end of the t'other races list and repost on Mondays.

Paris 2014
    Definite: ATM, DLR, DV, Emmy, Maus, TP, Weedy.
    Maybe: Carl D, Engineer, James B, Jimbob, NCane, Nic E, PF, Scott W, Yer Maj.

•  

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

DLR - Brad Pitt... I knew you looked familiar!

It's uncanny  I know

• Weedy - you'll have to put me down as a maybe. As long as it isn't the same day as Brighton, I'll be there in some form...

• Speaking of spring and organisms !!!

I was going to say with the marathon being over our minds have started to wonder ,, but then realised our minds have been wandering since this thread started
  • Scott the walker wrote (see)
    Speaking of spring and organisms !!!

I was going to say with the marathon being over our minds have started to wonder ,, but then realised our minds have been wandering since this thread started

Indeed Scott, no change there it would seem.

• Suzi - no prob, i'll massage you on the book. Ive planted the sead for me to be able to come out for a bit on the saturday - if they are carbloading / and coming to support on the race on Sunday.

• The Jimbob wrote (see)
    http://i2.listal.com/image/404213/600full-the-curious-case-of-benjamin-button-photo.jpg

Like I said - Brad Pitt with a shaved head.   I was wearing specs then - was before I had my eyes lasered.

• 'Massage' me on the book Jimbob? That'll be umm ....image

I'll be a def for 2014; unfinished business!

• I didn't know that's what you folks got up to on the 'Book...

What have I been missing?!

• Suzy - Just make sure he has warm hands...

• yer_maj wrote (see)
    Is that a gauntlet? Maus is the woman for the job, I reckon...

Harsh. But true.

• Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

A Time To Kill on Film4.

Sandra Bullock. Incredible.

Best Grisham book ever.

• Suzy Martines wrote (see)

'Massage' me on the book Jimbob? That'll be umm ....image

don't worry - I won't use vaseline

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I see Paris has corrupted you all- what went on over there?

• OO - Dude, can't say really.image

How's the London taper going? What's your Gold, Silver, Bronze?
  • The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Suzy Martines wrote (see)

The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Suzy Martines wrote (see)

Vaseline is so last week..

• Goooooood Grief............One day..........4 pages.............and Shagging lists..........

My mind is bad enough, and I get home at 11.45 to this.........Its bn a heck o a long day but the firework display the night was awesome!! As was the waitress asking me where are mother was today!!!!! She obviously needed glasses but It certainly made me laught! image
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm home image

Just plugged the garmin in and two things strike me.  One is that my heart rate was loads higher than it was for MP in training - I averaged 86%.  The other is that my pacing went haywire after 32k - something to work on for next time.  But you can clearly see at 36k where my random man got me started again image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Well, back in the US late last night.  Turned out to be a gastroenteritis, which is still hanging around although things are starting to "firm up" a little.image   The last few days in Paris were le miserable to say the least. I tried to venture out a little as I felt bad for MrsD just sitting about the hotel, but really had no energy to do much. Without all of you around for all the social arrangments, and having missed the pub, the whole city seemed rather thread bare.  DLR dropped by my hotel with some meds which helped enormously (hope you got my text DLR) and made the flight home tolerable.  I lost a total of 7 pounds over those 4 days.

Back to work today - made it a short one. Hope the patients cooperate and keep it that way.

I am sure I won't start running again for a week or so, and that's fine.

As a "cheer me up for not finishing" surprise prize, my best running friend registered and paid for me for the Dopey Challange in Jan 2014.  She seems to think it'll fit right in with Comrades training too! So list fairy, please add that to the list as I could not possibly not go now.

Paris next year?  Very possibly.  Although I've done it, this year still leaves me feeling there's unfinished business that needs attending to. 

• Glad to hear you are recovering Dannirr. A pretty awful experience for you and Mrs D. Consign it to history. I am sure you will bounce back even stronger.
  • This was my first marathon, I absolutely loved it. The atmosphere in the tunnels was amazing. Does anyone know what the song everyone seemed to be singing in there was?

• The first is very special RDoolan. Well done!

I can't remember any songs but I was thinking :

'There must be some kind of way out of here'. (Hendrix)