how long will it last ???

I started running sereously january 2012 at the ripe young age of 40 weighing at tbat time shocking 16 st 12 ive come on leaps and bounds since then shifted 3 stone which is still coming off ive had 5 pbs on the trot since january which im so over whelmed about and i know this wont keep going on like this im hoping to lose a further 2 stone if posible the question is how long can a man in there 40s improve for until they reach there peak ??

Comments

• From people's stories I've read, at least 2 or 3 years if you train wisely and you probably still won't be near your peak.  I'd imagine while you are still losing weight some of your PB's are coming from that, once you hit your plateau weight then you'll be improving your real fitness which can go on and on for years, different distances (the longer the distance I imagine the longer the time it takes to optimise yourself - I've heard a good couple of years+ mentioned to improve your marathon times for example).  As you get faster/fitter though your PB attempts need to be picked more carefully and will get less frequent.  A colleague of mine told me he won the Nottingham marathon when he was 47 (after I said to him I'd taken up serious running too late at 37 last year) - so it's not necessarily a young mans game.

It all depends how intelligently you train I suppose.

• depends on how seriously you go at it

I started running when I was 37, I'm 49 now and I'm still improving

but I've built up VERY steadily

• Thanks for response guys its very interesting as my coach who takes our thursday evening speed sessions has said i will improve for around 3 years i dovpush my self hard i admit and im trying to get the balance of speed work tempo runs and long slow runs i just seem to get stronger every session of running i do doing a good few hills helps to .
  • What a inspirational story that blog is im amased at how the body after years kf abuse can sudenly become very fit and deliver pb affer pb and just keep going it has totaly changed my life for the better image
  • Thanks for response guys its very interesting as my coach who takes our thursday evening speed sessions has said i will improve for around 3 years i dovpush my self hard i admit and im trying to get the balance of speed work tempo runs and long slow runs i just seem to get stronger every session of running i do doing a good few hills helps to .