2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks.  I'm feeling more with it.  It's just the voice which is being problematic.

NN,

That's good news.

Fiona,

Fingers crossed for you.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

mace "enjoy" the massage.  Good work on the 6 last night and 6 this morning.  I'm the same - MP feels awkward until about mile 4 or 5.

Jason nice 10m in the gale yesterday

Fiona nice chocolate frenzy and 5m MP run yesterday.

Stuart well done on the 4.6m last night.  Still a few more days to get over the bug: HR will settle down.

NP LOL. 3:15 is a bit off. Nice 6m steady and good bouncy 10m todayimage

MG well done on the 3m.

NN I'm so glad the fizz sorted it all out.  Plenty of time to get over the tendonitis.

HM good to hear you're on the mendimage

===

Some of us are still working...image

I changed my MP route from the usual one, to one we use for Half training - the idea was that running sub8mm was going to feel easier on a route I've run lots of times at 7:15 pace. It worked. Chimp chased away, and I managed 10m at 7:50mm, HR levelling out at 81%max.

Including w/up and down that's 11.34m today.  Very happyimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Tek- well done, nice runningimage

HM4- hope the recovery continues

4m recovery plod done- what now?imageimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Jason - how 'bout looking up some more fish recipes while throwing a medicine ball ?image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

I adore smoked salmon - Wildwaters (Shetland) pastrami style my fav! image

Hope the massage works any knots out mace. My RW message does not work - are you on Fetch? NP/jason does your messaging service work to let mace know the Saturday plans?

Interesting on the parkrun. Not that I'm doing one with my dodgy hamstring but Janice Moorekite advised me to race one the week before. (I am NOT suggesting that anyone races one!!)

Nice work Teknik, NP and jason.

Lots going on here today, looks like everyone has more time on their hands!image

F

• Hi

Doing my first marathom at this years London on 21/04.

A quick question- what are peoples thoughts on very moderate drinkiing this week e.g. 2 or 3 drinks on each of friday and saturday nights?

definite booze ban next week I swear but do people think a couple this week would do any harm?

• Evening all, nice final session with trainer tonight, mix of core and some very short intervals exercises, all seems fine and legs feel good. Weather looks like its warming up over there with 11 - 18 degrees now forecast image

NP well done on your 10 earlier

NN great news on you sorting the problem

Tek well done on your 11 glad it's going well for you.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Bruno- no, cheers! image

MG1- well done image

Fiona- mne not working either! image
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    We could also set up a Facebook group for VLM- ??
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Hi guys and gals,

Been a few days went out with JS last night for a short run, hr elevated still got a cough and the head is still stuffed up, I'm starting to freak out, tomorrow is supposed to be my last run before Sunday but I'm not sure if I should, I can't believe I'm not better yet, I am normally only down for a day or two

I would hate to have too drop out, but I'm not sure it would be advisable to run if I don't improve, stressed to the max!

God I hate this taper malarkey...
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Stewart- indeed, if you are ill, don't run. No argument....
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Fiona I sent Mace a message but no reply? But there is a lot of stuff on RW which is playing up.......

Teknik nice 10 banked.

Jason cotton wool and bubble wrap?......

SC if you still feel unwell do not run.

MG1 so long as it stays below 20 degrees.

Will do 5 miles later with 3 at Tempo pace (6:11)
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Bruno depends how important the marathon is to you.

Stewart take care and hope the next day or two sees an improvement.

Planning 6m later. Leg does not hurt all the time today. image 

MG1 hopefully if the start time is in the morning it will not warm up til nearer midday?

Take care everyone, lots of cotton wool and First Defence needed at this stage! image

F

• macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - great news re the MP image

Bruno - welcome, can't see how a couple will do any harm.

Stewart - hope you don't have to drop out, you don't deserve that image

Fiona - image for the leg

NP - not received any messages. Im on Fetch also as "mace" but rarely go on there

Sports Massage was ok, he did an easy/medium jobby on me which was slightly "uncomfortable" at times especially the elbows in the glute, but pleasant overall. Can't say i notice much difference today but he did say the benefit would be felt mostly after 36-48 hours.

After 3 days of low carbs i managed to drop another couple of pounds image This morning was a bowl of home-made muesli, 2 toast with honey, a glass of apple juice and a glass of beet-it. image 

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Jason well done on the recovery

Bruno just keep race week dry

MG nice gym work.  If it's "only" up to 18C, that's still ok, I think.

Stewart rest up, you'll be fine

NP hope the tempo went ok

Fiona glad the leg is easier again today. Enjoy the 6

mace well done on the weight loss

---

14.2m MLR this morning, 6m in the mud and hills with the club, the rest on my own on tarmac.  That's 3 hard days back-to-back, so looking forward to the recovery plod tomorrow.  image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

mace - I have just sent you a Fetch mail!image I am not on Facebook or any other of these things. I hope you can pop in to pick it up. Healthy breakfast!image

F

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Nice MLR Teknik, you really are putting in the miles! image

F

• macemace ✭✭✭

Fiona - received thanks image

Tek - i have to admit to being a bit jealous, it seems so long since my last MLR image 

• macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - how does that MP run compare to pre Frankfurt ?

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

imageTek- nice one- heading up the mileage league there for a whileimage

9m for me today, including my last track session pre VLMimage After a wind-free morning, it was, needless to say, gusting away by the time I hit the trackimage. This, along with the ambitious pace, soon took its toll- like running through treacle down the home straight! lol! 9m total with 3x1m off 3min recoveries- splits for the miles tell the sorry story:image 5.30, 5.39, 5.49. Still, not too shabby- think I should have carbed last night though- forgot my sweet potato! Running intervals fuelled by salmon and rocket not recommendedimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Teknik nice running mate enjoy your recovery run tomorrow.

Mace hope you can join us for coffee and buns. I'm Firesac on Fetch.

Jason that's still great splits, you now have me eating baked sweet potatoes with rocket, tuna in spring water and beetroot for lunchimage snacking on roasted soya beans which are very good image

Got a FIre Service fitness test tonight which will be followed by my tempo run, going to swim tomorrow but cut back to only 750m and will run the Parkrun at MP on Saturday.
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

mace image look forward to catching up!

jason that sounds tough especially low on fuel.

A fitness test NP - really?!! image I suspect your results will be a bit different from the norm! Enjoy the tempo run.

F

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Fiona I beats me how some can fail it.......it's not that difficult.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona thanksimage

Mace I only did 3 subLTs pre Frankfurt, as my 75% pace dipped below 9mm which was my target...so I just carried on plodding. One was 8.15, and two were at 8:30. In the end I chickened out and decided to run at 8:45.  This time I'm going to trust Hadd...

Jason imageyup for about 2 hoursimage. Well done on the 9m and the mile splits.image

NP enjoy smashing the testimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NP- nice food, off beans here though image Enjoy the fitness test lol!

Tek- you will be topping it again this month, I'm sure- especially with next week's stepping up of the taper and the following week's recovery for me. My target will be at least half of Tek's image

Lunch here was piri piri smoked mackerel and rocket, washed down with a mug of green tea image
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Just finished post lunch medicine ball session.... Ouch image
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Feeling better today not as congested and cough has eased considerably, starting to feel a lot better about Sunday too image

Jason, I'm only just into double figures for April, this is definitely going to be my lowest monthly total for quite sometime, speedy interval session even if you didn't hit 5:30

Tek, great MLR today your club likes the mud

NP, the fitness test will be a breeze compared to the tempo run I bet, hope you're enjoying the taper

Fiona, hope the hammy is not too sore

Mace, well done on the weight lose, I'm staying away from my scales, with ony 12 miles run this month I've bound to have put on a pound or two

SM6, how are you holding up only a few more days to go image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Stewart- great news! imageimage
  • Jason - Nice mile intervals. Foof sounds good tooimage

Tek - You've fired in some great runs this week

Mace - Hope the sports massage done the trick

Stewart - Hope the illness clears, if you're still not well you'd be better not running today.

Fiona - Hope the leg is good, and the run goes well

NP - I assume you'll blitz that fitness testimage

------------

Leg is still sore, so I'm doing nothing until Sunday morning. I may need to do some praying to various gods on Saturday night...image