P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Right, so I'm a total P&D rebel (again) and have just been for a lovely 8.2 mile run with my club, at average 7:50 pace instead of the scheduled 5-mile recovery. We ran down to the course for the 5-mile race we organise in May to check the state of the paths after the floods this winter, did a lap of the course and then ran back. Gorgeous evening. Tomorrow I will ignore the VO2 max session and have an extra rest day / cross train at trapeze class.

Still struggling with the whole 'taper = not eating your body weight in lasagne' thing.

NOT FEELING THE RUNNING LOVE, HeOW? I'm shocked.

JF50, loving the idea of a HM as a birthday treat. Beats the shit out of my 'do a parkrun on your birthday' thing, which my non-running friends all thought was strange enough behaviour. 

• Hi everyone, glad to see the tapering is going okay image

Haven't been on for a while, was away for Easter and life has got in the way a bit. Who knew Hereford was so hilly? - I had to do my 20 while away, didn't know the area so followed a cycle route which turned out to have a huge hill in it, I had to walk half a mile up it ! Ended up doing over 20 to make up for it. Ages ago now though, my body has already forgotton all the training and I have moments when I think I just haven't done enough.

I have had a quick look back, but missed so much. 

Ten - hope you are feeling better quickly, I am sure you are going to do so well on race day, you have worked so hard!image

NN - I hope the foot is okay, at least you know what the problem was. 

I am wearing Brooks GTS also, because I found them at £13 a pair online so thought they were worth trying and got on with them well,  and they do big sizes image I can't get them that cheap now though.

I have just done the 3 x 1mile session, all okay legs not too bad and I am enjoying cutting down a bit. 

• Lit my family will think my HM choice is strange, only one advertised in January on here at the moment, in Preston!  They would think that was even stranger driving up there for a race.  Next week perhaps you'll read the book again!  I enjoyed the VO2 max session today, perhaps because it was the last oneimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Pottermiss! Good to have you back, especially as you are in support group 1 with all the cool kids. image

Look everyone, I have tidied the list:

Name – Bib number – Start – Wearing – Time – Chandos?
    Mennania (Johnny) – tbc - Green - Black with Clic Sargent shirt - sub 3hr - Yes
    Literatin (Katie) - 283 - Blue - Nasty white club vest with two blue hoops – 3:15 - No
    Fiona - tbc- green - green surgical scrubs, white coat and Heart UK vest - sub 4 - No
    No Pain (Gary) - 30752 - red FGFA - Fetch vest - Sub 2:55- Yes
    JF50 – 1317 – blue – orange Arthritis Research vest – tbc - No

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Question anyone racing a Parkrun on Saturday?

Still some good smaller sessions going on, HeOw nice to see you running/racing image

Lit you rebel lol.

Potter miss well done on your session.

AG nice session.
  • Name – Bib number – Start – Wearing – Time – Chandos?
    Literatin (Katie) - 283 - Blue - Nasty white club vest with two blue hoops – 3:15 - No
    Fiona - tbc- green - green surgical scrubs, white coat and Heart UK vest - sub 4 - No

Pottermiss - (Fiona) - 22692 - Blue- Yellow T Shirt Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research - sub 4.15 - No

• Sorry Lit, I've Made the list look untidy again image

• NP no racing for me this weekend. Just not worth the risk one week out. I'll put marathon pace efforts in on the other runs, but def no sharp end stuff.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

15West (Stephen) – 32957 – red FGFA – blue tshirt – Sub 2:55 - Maybe

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Anybody so inclined, my stalking details (Brighton) are:

#16180  Red Start

There is an app, and facebook/twitter updates.

My plan is to start at marathon pace (9:09) and see how things go with even splits (allowing for crowds and terrain).  Nervous as hell at the moment.  Tummmy back under control though, and starting to carb load.

• Just time for a fly-by vist...Thursday night is thread catch-up night! Will post my details later too. Purposely having a busy week so I can relax a bit next week...

Quick one: will anyone of you be getting a sports massage this/next week? I'm considering it but never had one before. Just want my legs to feel as fresh as possible. Any opinions oh threadees of infinite wisdom?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Brighton this weekend Ten? Could be warm, so be prepared for that. Make sure you drink plenty of water in the days leading up to race and don't pass on the salt. Before race hydrate, but give yourself a few hours with no liquids before the race otherwise you'll keep needing a wee. During race take on water or sports drinks when available, and if feel like you are overheating pour some water over yourself. I think winds from the south so might be a nice breeze off the sea.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

actually just checked forecast and Brighton doesn't look as hot as london on sunday, maybe as nearer the coast. Infact looks almost perfect...

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks 15W, appreciate the tips.  The wind looks a bit too blustery, though at least it should be cooling and coming from the south, rather than the easterly we've been suffering.  I'm planning to stop drinking at least 90 minutes before the race and just mouthwash if my mouth is dry.  I'll take a gel just before the start.

• Good luck in Brighton, Ten. It was really warm when I ran it in 2010, and i got sunburned calfs (calves?) and neck, so remember to slap on a bit of sunblock too.

Is anyone else doing Brighton (or another Marathon) this weekend? I think Rotterdam is on Sunday too. Looking forward to seeing how we all do in the next few weeks image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good idea with the gel. The important thing with carbs is start early, don't leave till too late. So one just before the race, and then one every 4 or 5 miles, or every 30-40 mins is good....or just stick to the sports drinks. You'll be alright though Ten, you have trained well...just make sure you stick to your pace..the even the better. Is Brighton a hilly marathon?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good luck in Brighton, Ten! Will look forward to twitter-stalking you on the way round. image

15West you have accidentally bumped Pottermiss off the list. Grr. Will sort it out later when we have more details.

AlRuns, I am having a sports massage tomorrow, but mainly because my hip flexors have been a bit tight (especially left hip, making it hard for me to stretch glutes effectively). So I want proper painful deep tissue massage, which you probably wouldn't want to have any closer to the marathon than, say, Monday. If right before the marathon my sports masseur says he would do something different, to invigorate the muscles, though I probably won't do that as well, because I'd rather spend more money on post-marathon gin.

NoPain stop trying to tempt us from the path of P&D righteousness. I would love to go back and race that parkrun again this week to get rid of those 16 seconds, but think it would be more sensible not to.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh, terribly sorry!

15West (Stephen) – 32957 – red FGFA – blue tshirt – Sub 2:55 - Maybe
    Pottermiss - (Fiona) - 22692 - Blue- Yellow T Shirt Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research - sub 4.15 - No

• Morning all

Ten - I find carb loading really hard work.  I'm just not used to eating that amount of carbs and it is about the only time that I never feel hungry so its hard to keep packing them in.  Glad the innards are back under control

NP - I have a rest day on Saturday on the schedule. image This unfortunately means I miss parkrun image I usually go and do my recovery run there and was tempted but the lure of a long lie and cleaning the bathroom imagewas too much so I haven't even volunteered image.

Al Runs - I'm going to give the sports massage a miss. I've only ever had one and it was sore and bruised for days afterwards. I'll stick with the foam roller for the time being

• Oh dear there were quite a lot of smilies in that paragraph

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

No need to go overboard with the carb loading I don't think - no need to eat massive carb heavy meals, just snack a bit more. Malt loaf is good.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

ah, lots of talk about fuelling and gel belts. A lot less running image. You can tell it's taper timeimage 

I have one of those belts with 2 small plastic bottles into which I decant my gels. Too much faffing otherwise trying to get them open. I usually drop a few that way image. 4 High5 Isogels for me. 2 with and 2 without caffeine. Can't get more the 4 in  wihtout feeling image

NP: amazing - your MP is my mile rep pace -- I did the dreaded last P&D VO2 max sesh yesterday and was mega proud of my 6:25, 6:29 and 6:23 splits ...  15 secs per mile quicker than last year. But I was dying! And you string 26.2 of them together. Wow.

Another one for shorter, faster running over the summer and then a decent HM in October. Then back to spring mara training for 2014 image

NN: glad you got a solution to the ankle pain! Sorry about the Kinvaras ... feeling a bit guilty coz I recommended them image.

I'm starving image. My body never gets it that I'm reducing mileage and shouldn't eat like I was still doing 70+ mile weeks image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

15W - there are a couple of hills, but not too bad looking at the profile.  I had a bit of a giggle because last years winners complained that it was "very hilly", so this year the elites have been given a separate start which doesn't go up an incline like the rest of us plebs.  Bless them.  I guess there are no hills in Kenya image  The biggest factor will be the wind - and I'm not referring to my dodgy tummy.

Thanks Lit - I will be concentrating harder knowing that you are watching!

Fiona - I really didn't feel like cramming carbs at breakfast today.  I find that drinking Lucozade (the original glucose drink - not the sport one) is an easy way to cram.  Malt loaf is quite easy to snack on (I'm doing it now).  Fruit smoothies are another option.  My other food won't change too much, except for cutting down a lot on meats and proteins.  I think the struggle is more to do with "having" to eat the stuff regularly.  Normally I could stuff it down me without a second thought image

Al - did you say you've never had a massage?  Now is not the time to experiment.

I ran three miles easy this morning with some strides to get the legs moving.  It was over in the blink of an eye - which is not what I will be saying about the marathon.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Chick - I wish I had seen your idea of decanting the gels sooner!  I must remember to try that out in the future.

I've actually lost weight during the taper!  Not great really.  With my luck it was probably all leg muscle that disappeared image

• i've been training with Clif Shot Bloks, and I'll probably just carry a couple of packs of those around with me, and drink the water on the course. I'll make sure i'm well carbed up before hand and not go off too quick, and I should be fine i reckon.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Fig rolls. They are the future of carb loading. Oh and peanut butter and jam on brown toast. Oh and Peroniimage

• 15W - I don't really eat huge amounts of carbs at meals, but I only eat about 200g of carbs a day at the best of times so I have to take more.  By the time I've had porridge (small bowl) and a slice of toast with jam, I'm not interested in my mid morning museli and fruit but have to eat it. Then at lunch more carbs and less protein (so a whole sheet on noodles instead of half) and it goes on... I love malt loaf and fig rolls but the lack of appetite is a problem.

Ten - you've probably just lost water with the tummy upset so keep drinking

water that is!

Chick - at the moment my body is saying where's the food? It does not seem to realise it doesn't need as much as I'm not doing as much. By next week it won't be complaining tho'

chickadeee wrote (see)

NP: amazing - your MP is my mile rep pace -- I did the dreaded last P&D VO2 max sesh yesterday and was mega proud of my 6:25, 6:29 and 6:23 splits ...  15 secs per mile quicker than last year. But I was dying! And you string 26.2 of them together. Wow.

I think that about your pace too

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Fiona - I eat loads. I am often hungry and have to keep stopping myself...going to need to keep running otherwise I'd be a right porker.

Must remember to buy some gels.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Everyone keeps talking about their mile reps and now I feel guilty. image

Fiona, I don't eat carbs much in my normal diet either and have never carb-loaded before, so I'm expecting to find it hard too. I don't think I'd be able to stomach much bulky stodge like bread, so will have to rely on oats (flapjacks!) and rice. Having said that, I'm starving all the time at the moment so it might be easier than I think.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oats are good. Don't think it matters what types of carbs you are consuming when loading up...so fruit is good, raisins etc. Saying that...you don't want too much fibre if not used to it the day before for obvious reasons....