Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

•  

you mean David Falconer 3 hasn't got a pair after of the times he's told people to check for themimage

• 2013 Course Video Video I just found on YouTube, showing the course route, where water / fuel stops are etc. Very useful for those of us who like to visualise what's coming up in the miles ahead!

• JR - tricky one regarding your pace, as 1:42 half suggestes a 3:45 is possible, but as you say posses the risk of crash and burning.

Good luck in whatever your pacing stategy - always plenty more races to do, so i guess play it safe in this one.

cant say i am excited about this marathon as more like dreading it as i always do. 26.2 miles is a long way, and I have never looked forward to them but loved every one. Does that make sense to anyone?image

• Paul Went wrote (see)

JR - tricky one regarding your pace, as 1:42 half suggestes a 3:45 is possible, but as you say posses the risk of crash and burning.

Good luck in whatever your pacing stategy - always plenty more races to do, so i guess play it safe in this one.

cant say i am excited about this marathon as more like dreading it as i always do. 26.2 miles is a long way, and I have never looked forward to them but loved every one. Does that make sense to anyone?image

Well one thing I will aim to do on Sunday - is to enjoy it!!

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

just been watching all the videos on youtube and now I am really excited although watching the old 2011 route video make you realise how far it really is!! 2 more sleeps then i am in Brighton image

• Does not matter how many times you run it - It is still a long way! - which is good as there is mre time to enjoy yourself!!!!! image

• I enjoy the first 20 miles and crossing the line and the beer after but the 6.2 miles in the middle? I'm not so sureimage
  • wow, 191 pages will  we surpass 200 before Sunday ?

• Hi all,

Just popping in to wish you all the best of luck. Especially to Toby3, Poohbear and Snowmaiden. Toby - good luck on your 4th, I will be signing up for number 5, how about you? Poohbear and Snowmaiden good luck on your first marathon and enjoy the experience.

Hello to Yvonne and I'm glad to see you will be back again next year.image

After Brighton and London I will be going back to ultras and multi days for the rest of the year.

All the best and enjoy the weekend.

• Shortly will be off for my final run (not ever) around Preston Park. I'll have to post later with news of how it's all looking!
  • Anyone guess roughly what time the "on the day" park and ride car park will fill up ? I am pre-booked already, but the engine on our family people carrier blew up a couple of weeks ago, so instead of all the family all fitting in one car, we are in 2 small cars ... image I was planning on around 7 ish, but fear that may be too late without a reservation.

• Haircut done (extra 4secs off per mile!!!!)

Does eating lots of chocolate biscuits count towards carbo loading!!!!!!
  • If chocolate counted as carb loading I would be the fastest runner around and you would have seen me in the Olympics this summer image
  • Black And Tabby wrote (see)

2013 Course Video Video I just found on YouTube, showing the course route, where water / fuel stops are etc. Very useful for those of us who like to visualise what's coming up in the miles ahead!

Oh - lost the linky thing! try here http://youtu.be/TpxLKGL_sFg if you copy & paste, or I'll try again here

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Salisbury Lad - I live about a mile north of Preston Park, if you parked here at 7 you could easily walk or get the normal bus down there (5 or 5B), you'd be able to park nearer than here anyway, my wife has in previous years driven down at 9am to watch and hasn't had to park 200m from home!

On the map follow Surrenden Road north from the park, it's free all the way, the 5B will bring you back from outside the Pavillion afterwards.

(I'm getting excited now, organising Preston parkrun trial event at 6.45 tonight then marathon volunteering tomorrow Sat and Sun, bring it on!)

• Cheers John, will take a look on the map. image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Hope your parkrun goes well John.  Good luck.

• Another forum stalker emerges.......I'm sure there are many more out there!

This year will be my 3rd Brighton mara in a row. Last year told myself on the 'road to hell' that would be last mara but signed up again when opened. Already trying to psych myself up to fight the mental demons on the power station stretch.

Bronze sub 4; Silver sub 3.47 ( last years time); Gold sub 3.44 (2011 time).

I've enjoyed reading all the posts.......we're all in the same boat really whatever our standard. We are indeed privileged to line up at the start of an event like this.

Good luck to all on Sunday.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    John - hope your parkrun trial event goes well. Definitely need another parkrun on Brighton as Hove is very busy.
  • Funny, everybody talks about the dreaded power station stretch as being awful. I recall thinking how cool it was running in such an urban setting, going into territories you'd never normally get to run....

(Yep, positive power of thought people...)

A colleague at work is running her first London, and she twigged I'm a marathon runner already, spent the whole afternoon convincing her that the nerves, excitement, taper panics are all normal and part of the journey. She thinks I'm crazy, and swears she'll only run one marathon!! YEAH right! I said, watch this space.
  • GCE I'm with you on the power station - I sometimes go and run around there in training and I like the fact that it's a bit gritty - I think it's a nice contrast to the crowds you get running through Hove and then the final stretch on the seafront.

Just done a final very easy 6 miles along the seafront - the barriers are all there ready to be out and the water station signs are up image

• is there anyone staying at the Hilton Metropole on the beach - and what sort of time should I leave there to get to the start - plan to get a cab via Dyke road - cheers - first timer very nervous - been reading this forum - first ever half was Brighton last year - cheers

• Hi Aimingforahalf, it's a couple of miles from the Metropole (nice hotel image) - if you're coming up Dyke Road, it should be pretty clear of traffic so won't take much longer than usual. I'd go up Dyke Road, then go down Old Shoreham Road and the taxi will be able to drop you off at the bottom on the A23 (London/Preston Road) and then it's less than 5 minutes walk to Preston Park.

• So done my last slow 4 miles around Preston Park and here is what I learnt:

- It's a lot colder in Brighton than Haywards Heath today!

- A lap of Preston Park is approximately 1.3 miles, staying within the park itself.

- If you didn't know otherwise, there is barely any indication that 10,000 runners will be descending upon the place in 3 days time. Although 2 big red lorries turned up just as I was leaving.

Feet up now and watching the footy, and possibly the golf!
  • Found a lovely part in 'The non-runners guide to the marathon' talking about how tapering will make you feel:-

"You are going to become like a race horse before a race: prancing around full of energy, straining against the bit, anxiously waiting to enter the starting gate. The heightened level of energy is exhilarating; the sense of power is exciting."

So giddy up, my fellow race horses! We're nearly there!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Hopefully we won't fall at the first hurdle and get shot.

• Cant wait for sunday 1st marathon but struggled all week with heavy cold hope it wont hinder me too much hoping for 3.45 Good Luck Everyone!

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

Hopefully we won't fall at the first hurdle and get shot.

There's HURDLES?????