Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Malcs, post marathon I devour about 50 in 2 minutes, but have never tried them during a race. 6 gels do it for me.
  • Malcs..  I use jelly beans, not jelly babies...   no idea how many...  I just have a few when I feel like it...   they do work though...  well worth a try.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hmmm I had 4 gels on Sunday and that was plenty for me on top of porridge and banana for brekkie.  Any more than that would be distinctly image

I have used jelly babies in the past and they were fine but found them a bit sweet.  And they melt.

• I love jelly babies, must have eaten 4 on the way round and 3 at the end. I used 7 gels during the race 4 x isotonics and 3 x carb. Plus porridge pot, banana, croissant, pan au chocolat, coffee and a bottle of orange lucozade for brekkie. That was nice fuelling! I left the rest of the JBs on the table in the pub, I'm sure they got munched!
  • MM - rodent hug.

OK London running people and sympathetic carb loaders - who would be interested in dinner here on the Saturday night (20th) at 6pm? I've checked and they do have tables at the moment, but it would be good to get numbers ASAP. It's fairly central and anyone staying near the start (Blackheath) can get a direct train to Charing Cross.

http://www.spaghettihouse.co.uk/spaghetti_house_st_martins_lane_charing_cross.php
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Jimbob - if I didn't know how we'll you'd done I would have been sure that you would have puked after that lot. Wow

After struggling due to incorrect feeding on Sunday, I've been looking into how many gels I should have taken. I know that they want you to use lots, as they are in a money making business, but I can't equate 3 per hour with not feeling sick or full.

Lets say I was to run a 4:15 (I will !!!) and I were to start taking them at 45 mins and finish at 3:45 then that would be 9 gels.

Jimbob would have been on course for that, if he'd slowed down a bitimage , but does anyone else get near that?

Even using Tricky's technique of adding them to water, that would take some doing - wouldn't it.

Or am I fooling myself?
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hmmm what do you eat beforehand, Orbutt? 

• Put me as Jimbob +1 for now RR. Mmm pizza
  • Still madness in here I see!!!!

I used jelly beans on Sunday, and I thought far better than gels! Just ate a few when I felt like it. Only prob was they got stuck in the tooth I broke last week image

Last day here, at flat all packed and cleaned(a bit)....now just for morning mayhem. Tried booking a taxi tonight but they wanted paying over the phone, if I want to pay cash I hve to phone in the morning?? Any ideas or numbers???
  • I'd struggle with that Orbutt.  I could get them down but I suspect I'd be seeing them again shortly after.  I seem to manage the shot bloks ok though.

• Is there not a taxi rank near Kaz?  They'll hover by big hotels.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    YM - breakfast, porridge and sports drink 2 hours before. 1 hour before, another sports drink.

That's it.
  • Orbs, the porridge and nana was consumed at 5.50. The croissant, coffee and pan between 6.30 and 6.40. The lucozade was sipped for the 3 hours leading up to the start. I got away just after 9. On my training, I've been eating normally the night before a big run and like a king 3 hours before I start in the mornings so my body is used to it and it gave me a lot of energy. It takes two hours to get the food out of your stomach, but constant snacking, rather than big portions has been my secret to getting my metabolic rate up.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RR - Put me down for some carb loading please.

MM - Are you ok? Has news got out from the Isle of Man spies that you said the R word out loud?

Orbutt - I've pretty much stuck to the same fuelling strategy for the last four marathons I've done after lots of trying things out over the years and this is what works for me.

Breakfast (at least 2 hours before the race): 1 porridge pot with jam and peanut butter, a small banana and a coffee and a fruit juice.

Pre-race: A 500ml sports drink to be finished at least 45 minutes before the race start.

Race: 2 x SIS gels and 1 x packet of shotblocks.

I also carry a 500ml bottle of sports drink with me when running, but that is partly as I want to avoid the carnage at water stations and partly as I like to take a sip when I want it rather than have to wait to the next water stop.

• DLR- I haven't seen. Taxi rank all week?! I think taking the metro at 8am is going to be tooooo stressful, and I don't feel like lugging all the luggage up and down steps, and no doubt my wee sisters will be as much good as a chocolate fireguard!!!

Hard Rock Cafe for dinner tonight, Miss A's choice. Waitress heard Alannah say something about her birthday, when she got her pudding it had a candle in it and the waiter/esses. All lined up and they got everyone in HRC to sing Happy Birthday along to sumba drums! I think Alannah was suitably mortified!
  • Orbutt - your question made me go away and check. I had 1.5 porridge pots, plus a banana and a squirt of agave syrup at about 6:30am. During the race I had 9 Shotbloks, which I had at the water stations, so they were about 5k apart - I alternate between eating one or two. According to the packet, that's 300 calories and 72g of carbs. I was surprised it was as little as that to be honest, but I don't think I could at much more or my guts would complain.

Spaghetti House

RR

Jimbob +1

Eggy
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Orbutt - I have breakfast at 6amish and then a gel every 7ish kms.  equates to about 5 gels over a marathon.  I also have about 100ms of water at most stops and there were a few sneaky chocolate covered coffee beans (courtesy of DV), wine sips and pretzels on sunday. image

RR - count me in for pasta!

• I have a whole box of black currant SIS gels, if anybody wants them??
  • Spaghetti House

RR

Jimbob +1

Eggy

Radar Sal
  • kaz1 wrote (see)

Hard Rock Cafe for dinner tonight, Miss A's choice. Waitress heard Alannah say something about her birthday, when she got her pudding it had a candle in it and the waiter/esses. All lined up and they got everyone in HRC to sing Happy Birthday along to sumba drums! I think Alannah was suitably mortified!

Excellent!

• The lack of powerade on course made me decide to do my own hydration. I took very little drink at the water stops, to avoid the carnage, at one point I nearly took someone out. The carb gels worked well, they take 15 mins to work, I took the last at 20 miles. At other races I would probably have just 2 or 3 isotonics depending on temperature. I guess I was lucky that I was able to replicate similar hydration and nutrition used for the winter training. Did anyone else "pig out" or was it just me?
  • I still haven't got my race refuelling right.  Had porridge with fresh rasps and glass of lemon juice at 05h15 then nothing until during the race, when I consumed 3 Shot Bloks, 3 pieces of banana and one gel.  I've had bad experiences with gels so tend to stick to the Shot Bloks.  Oh and also a sample pack of sports Jelly Beans.  I didn't carry water this time but relied on the drinks stations, which were indeed carnage, and often empty. One time I asked a guy if I could finish his bottle if he didn't want to.

I still feel I need a little extra oomph during a mara so perhaps I should try different gels, currently prefer Torq.  Never tried SIS and when I tried a Gu coffee one during the USMC felt my heart take off and my eyeballs spin ...

• The post marathon blues has totally hit me the past few days! Can't wait to resume running next week!

Got my next two races in the diary (if these could be added to the list?)

15th Sept: Great North Run

20th Oct: Abingdon Marathon

I reckon I'll pay a return visit to Paris in 2014!
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Excellent!

NICE!

I do alright at drinks stations.  Always head to the last table and stay well away before swerving in or maybe I've got used to the carnage.  The best thing about paris is they have bottles!!  none of this plastic cup nightmare.

• I'm not sure I should own up to this, but I believe Mr KS was responsible for supplying TJB's vaseline. Although I should definitely say - he was not responsible for applying it (as photographic evidence suggests)!

I use a 500ml bottle of water mixed with SIS energy powder, and a bag of Lucozade jellybeans. I took three every three miles on Sunday, and felt fine. I did take water as well, and at about mile 20 I added a bottle of water to my powder/water dregs. Gels don't agree with me either. I've got nuun tablets which are fine on mid distance runs of 8-14 ish miles - not too sweet.

For London I'll be deploying the same strategy, although I'll be having porridge and a couple of slices of toast for breakfast. Oh, I had a wee bit of flapjack just before I went to the pen as well.

• does it make me a bad person to be slightly pleased I am not the only one who feels cr*p, I felt a bit stupid last night, like I could have avoided if only I had been smarter - but it looks like even running yoda's can get the cold after a Marathon image

To all those who are feeling under the weather .... sympathetic group hug image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I tried to get two guys to hug at work today.  They wouldn't. image

• RS, they were pouring powerade into plastic cups at km 22 when I went thru. Not a bottle in site!
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

TJB - yeah, that's the powerade.  Water was good in little bottles.  I've been known to swipe one of the big bottles of powerade.  You just have to be quick.  not like they're going to catch you at your pace!image

• SD2 there's a crew of us at GNR this year so let's meet for a drink after the race