Hip pain after run

Please see above. Any ideas appreciated. Is it simply too much as I dont think 6 miles is a lot, as 5 years ago that was routine for me. I have set myself two goals by July, to lose 2 stones and run a 10km in 1 hour 5 ish.

Comments

• Maybe you just have over done it ,the jump from 3-6 miles is quite a lot if your body is not ready.

Forget what you used to be able to do,your starting again from fresh
  • YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Hello - I think the jump is too much too soon.  whenever I try and make a large jump I end up hurting too.

You should use your past history as affirmation that you CAN do it - but don't use it to alter your training plan. Go up gently - there is plenty of time to get to 10k before July as most training plans are 8 weeks long.

• Take it easy and build it up slow..sure your be fine
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I think it's generally accepted wisdom that you should only up mileage by 10% per week and every 4th week do a cut back week. Going from 3miles to 6miles is quite a jump. It won't take you long to get there but I think you just need bit longer.

• Thank you for your replies. And Lee no need for that comment. I have subscribed to runners world for 8 years, I have every right to be on here.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi Cath7,

Good luck on your goals. Build up slowly and dont forget to stretch.  Hip pain can be anything, depending on the discomfort perhaps have a professional opinion.  Recently I had hip pain, googled it as ITB which is inflamation of the tissue, fortunately it was muscle cramp. My muscles had tighten up over as I did too much, too soon.  Physio and stretching helped me.

Perhaps run/walk strategy to get you started.

Diet is the best to lose weight, I follow the opinion to cut out the carbs and don't calorie count.  If calorie counting worked then we'll all be looking like Kate Moss.

All the best

• Hi,

I had something similar after starting to increase my distance and doing more hill runs, I went to see a physiotherapist who did an assessment, I think she said I had tight ‘Piriformis’ muscle. The piriformis muscle is a deep muscle located beneath the gluteal (butt) muscles. The piriformis muscle laterally rotates and stabilizes the hip. This muscle is important for athletes who participate in running sports that require sudden changes of direction. The piriformis works along with other hip rotators to turn the hips and upper leg outward (external rotation of the hip). Strong and flexible hip rotators keep hip and knee joints properly aligned during activity and help prevent sudden twisting of the knee during quick side-to-side movements, quick turns, lunges or squats.

The physiotherapist gave me a massage and recommended a some stretches, the one I found really good is to lie flat on your back, raise one knee to your chest, then with the opposite hand pull your foot towards your chest, Make sure your build the stretch up slowly and do both sides, she also recommended getting a hardish ball (eg a tennis ball) and sit and sort of gyrate on the ball, this simulates the massage action, if it hurts as your push the ball into the sore spot then it’s probably working!

I’d recommend doing a google search for ‘piriformis muscle stretches’ and doing some gentle stretching, and going to have a massage.

Another injury I got as a relative newbie and carrying a stone too much weight, was ‘Plantar Fasciatis’ (Pain in the underside of the foot) which was relieved by doing some Achilles tendon stretches and again using the ball.

Its defiantly worth getting yourself a tennis ball to give yourself ad-hoc massages when you get those sore spots. I believe foam rollers are pretty good, but have not tried it myself, yet.

This advice is purely anecdotal, so please see a physiotherapist, the hours session cost £35 and was worth every penny.

• Thank you for your help and feedback, took a few days rest and back running sticking to 10% rule. Its eased off !