The Middle Ground

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Enjoyed this week's blog, PRF: get down to the chemist and get lots of cotton wool!

Good to see you putting a number on Mr. V.

Nice trophy pic, Curly: great one to look back at in years to come!

YD: good progress on the treadmill but I am really not sure about running on grass at this stage unless it is a bowling green. The surface is likely to be uneven: the treadmill is a consistent surface and I would go for something more like a cinder trail as an in-between type surface. On grass you also have to push through a greater degree than on the dreadmill. I received similar advice post Achilles surgery to the point where  both the surgeon and the physio said road was preferable to grass. Mind you, have you seen the state of the roads and pavements!

Last three days have seen 3 x 20 mins, mainly off-road, plus some brisk walking. A slow struggle, but continuing to head in the right direction.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Alehouse - Because I only see your updates every now and again, your progress seems very successful, probably more so than it feels from your end. What you can manage now is a world away from where you were just a few short weeks ago.

In terms of VLM, it is wind down time now with just 2 races and 2 gentle parkruns to go before we hit the start line in 12 days.

BR and Hilly are both struggling a bit at the moment but will no doubt be bouncing back to full fitness in the near future.

Kelly - A good effort again when conditions werent going out of their way to help you. You'll hit some of those perfect condition races in the next few months no doubt.

Dash - 'A small PB'? A PB is a PB and was hopefully celebrated appropriately image

Looks like it was a PB day all round for King's Lynn parkrunners!

Curly - Thats an impressive bit of silverware and a good string of recent results. You should be brimming with confidence going into VLM, erm, I mean Brighton image

Mr V - Good solid ropey 10K. A 40;xx 10k on your own as a training session would be a big mental effort so it represents a good training block.

Phil - Despite the execellent weather over the weekend we still didnt see any more runners out and about in Essex than we did in the 6ft snow drifts in sub zero conditions at home last week, ie none. Maybe they're all in Greenwich?

YD - 29 miles on a treadmill sounds like a mental effort and a half!! But logic would suggest that if you can manage 29 miles on any surface then things cant be too bad in terms of thinking about getting back in the swing of things?

Just 12 days to go now before the pint(s) in The Red Lion image

Week 12 of 14

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

alehouse - Good man.

prf - I love the way your taper plan involves the number of races per week dropping slightly!  To be honest, if I had my VLM number I would've already pinned it on by now and hung the vest on the mantelpiece.  I'm all raced out (in a good way.) BTW, someone on sub-3 is asking about carb-depletion meal ideas.  Carb-depletion?  Sounds like torture!  image

I decided that spinning would be enough for a taper-period easy day yesterday, so no running in the evening. Coach Ken's official taper plan suggests 6 x 800 for this evening so I guess that's what we'll do. Very happy not to get carried away with interval sessions now, so it'll be about 90% normal effort I reckon.

• YD, WJH, Phil - Thanks. 28 miles it is for this week then, and yes, Phil, it's all predominantly easy still at the moment. Two quicker sessions this week - what will probably be a final blast at parkrun for a few weeks on Saturday and some intervals tomorrow evening. Will give me about 5 quicker miles, or less than 20% of the total. Considered OK I think? Next week, I'll be looking to get up to the 30 mile mark in a family friendly manner by including a first stab at an easy paced early morning medium-long run as discussed on here a couple of weeks back.

Any thoughts by the way on how important it is to have a deep cutback week from time-to-time? I'm a bit confused by this one. Some of what I've been reading suggests that it's necessary to allow proper adaptations to take place and prevent burn out. It's not clear however how deep this cut back should be, and from reading elsewhere whether it's even necessary at all. Is this something employed by those of you on here?

WJH - I started at the Colwick parkrun, but have switched to Rushcliffe recently where the paths are in a better condition following the grim winter weather, and is based on part of the course where I ran and enjoyed my first 10k. In short...it's quicker!image

Softly, softly, catchee monkey, Alehouse. Further progress too from YD it seems. Good news all round.  

PRF - Enjoyable blog again. Can I ask what the theory / science is behind the 'carb depletion phase'? I'm intrigued.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

PRF – You must be really looking forward to VLM now and be confident of an enjoyable and hopefully fast run. You blog continues to entertain – good work!

Alehouse – 3 consecutive days sounds like good progress to me.

YD – Good to see things improve and good to see you haven’t been lazy with the cross training like I was! I wouldn’t mind having a crack at some short distance races if I can find some open meets. I don’t think I’ll be moving to full middle distance training though as it’s not really what I want to do even if I would be better at it. However as 5k seems to be my best distance of those I run I may well focus specifically on that.  Maybe hit some short, fast tempos and reps in the 200-800m range. At least before my mara campaign starts.

Bob – I think most people agree that in the long term downtime is essential to keeping you fresh and avoiding burnout. How you do that and how much really depends on the individual and their particular goals. Obviously the amount of mileage plays a part as well. You can probably get away with running 30 miles a week (if you an experienced runner) pretty much indefinitely without downtime but at 80 miles it’s a different story. I think taking extended downtime once or twice a year is also good practice when thinking about the long term.

11 miles with the club for me yesterday. Still feeling weak and lacking in energy on most of my runs but considering I was only aiming for easy pace an average of 7.25s was relatively brisk.

• Afternoon everyone, popping in briefly to show I'm still alive!!

If I don't get a chance before Sunday, all the best Curly (& Magpie) and give it hell. 

Some good training going on as well - lots to comment on, so a general "good going" is in order. VLM-ers, enjoy the taper! 

Rather happy after Sunday - cs knocked 30 minutes off her marathon pb to run 4:39:20. Her splits were insane:

10k in 65'36 (6'33/k avg)
    Halfway in 2'18:36 (6'33/k avg)
    30k in 3'18:41 (6'37/k avg)
    Finish in 4'39:20 (6'37/k avg)

So much for the wall! She defied logic by racing up and down Dunnottar Castle steps this afternoon - a clear example of one of those races where everything goes exactly right. 

As for me... training is average. After a short purple patch for the 17'59 it really is a grind right now - either I can get the volume in but there is no pace, or vice versa. Did 600/500/400/300/200 w/next rep length jog rec Sunday (i.e. 500m jog after 600m rep, then 400m jog rec), which came out reasonably well with all reps under 4:45/m but felt like I was lacking a final gear. Then 6*200 w/60s rec today - which was decent pace at 30.1 avg, but I managed 8 reps 2 weeks ago. I suspect it's just me now into heavy training and getting tired, and waiting for fitness to come through. 

Just trying to grin and bear it for now...

• Phil – thanks for the ‘tempo-lite’ suggestion, think I will give that a bash on the treadmill tomorrow.

Alehouse, excellent news on the runs and brisk walking, seems like good progress to me.

Good blogging prf  

Mr V, 7.25s is very brisk easy pace, nowt wrong with your fitness then!

That’s very impressive pacing from the other half Duck, pass on my congratulations. As for things being a grind, I have found they often can be after a breakthrough race, probably just a mental come down. Stick at it and you will be fine in no time.
    Check this thread out, its crying out for some Duck branded advice - http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/12--200m-how-fast-should-i-go/246903.html

Hurrah 2.5mile run outside for me tonight, with only the slightest murmur of discomfort in the last half mile. Took Alehouse's advice and ran on road and track, with three walking breaks so as not to push things too far. Not going to get carried away, but think I can see the path to full training  forming.

Oh and I did my first ever Pilates class last night. It was me and a few old ladies, so to say I felt a little out of place is an understatement, quite funny really. Though I think it was beneficial, so will try to get a few more sessions in as part of the comeback plan.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done YD, but..
    a) hope all is Ok in the morning
    b) build slooowly

Another 20 mins tonight on an off orad undulating course, including my first post injury/post op steep hill. Rest tomorrow after four days of running.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Duck - Congrats to the other arf! Your training looks solid enough even if you're not on fire. Keep on keeping on!

YD - Did you learn much in pilates, like getting the basics right? (Neutral spine and all that caper, isn't it?) I've often thought it would be worth getting a couple of classes in to help out with ideas on core training.  Never got round to it though.

alehouse - Steep hill?  That'll be a little test for the Achilles, won't it?

Taper-sharpener-interval malarkey went according to plan. I let various people (including our 2:19 marathon runner) shoot off ahead of me and stuck to my pacing plan, 6 x 800m, 3 mins/400m recovery: 2:30, 2:30, 2:29, 2:29, 2:27.  So sort of metronomic in a subtly logarithmic fashion I suppose.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Phil: the steep hill tested the rest of me, not my Achilles!And it is time that you, too, visited the local chemist for as much cotton wool as you can afford.

Duck: at this stage I don't think there should be a "final gear". Far too early.

Talking of early, cricket season starts tomorrow, so its a rest day for me as I watch at The Emirates* wearing as many thermals as I can find.

*Old Trafford has been rebranded, or rather "branded" as it wasn't previously named after a sponsor.

• Alehouse – good confidence booster on the hill yesterday.
    Thanks for warnings, there was a little stiffness in the hamstring when I first woke up this morning, but very feint and it has now gone. I will go back to the treadmill tonight and probably tomorrow, all being well will venture outside for a run again on Friday.

Phil – yes that’s it, neutral spine is important as is getting correct posture and keeping your neck long and head centred. The instructor had some phrase that I cant recall to do with getting the pelvis in the right position, basically in a neutral position and centred. There were a couple of moves that I think I will take from the class, especially some of the moves that burn the abs and help with hip strength. At no point did I feel like I was working really hard in the class but I can still feel it in my abs today so it must be doing me some good.
    I will get a to a few more classes I think, I would always recommend giving it a try, its not going to revolutionise the way you currently do core work but every little helps and all that.
    Nice disciplined pace last night btw.

• Mr V - Thanks. I'll keep going as I am for the time being then, but will look to slot a larger cut back week in within the next couple of months. Have a holiday planned in mid-June, so might make sense to take that week off with just a gentle jog or two along the coast.

Nice work from Mademoiselle Duck. And if that training of yours is average...... image

Great news from YD. Must be good to get outside again. image

Good stuff from Phil as ever, and hope Alehouse is enjoying the cricket replete with many layers - and perhaps a beverage or two in the Alehouse, er...Pavilion along the way? I'd say I'm jealous, but as Cricinfo reckons it's 4C at Trent Bridge this morning, which is where I'd be watching my cricket, I'm not sure that I am!

5.5 easy miles on Monday and a rest up yesterday, has me raring to give myself a hard session when I get home. The extended hours of daylight and today's lighter winds mean that a first midweek trip to the long straights of the rowing lake down by the Trent are in order for some intervals this evening. Knocking over 20 seconds off my parkrun time this coming Saturday and getting sub-21 might be a tall order immediately after last week's sizeable PB, but am going to have a stab at running the km intervals at that (sub 6:45 mile) pace anyway tonight and see how it feels.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Hi MGers ... just checking in with the grim news that I'm likely to be out of action for some time. Plantar on my left foot "went" in the last km at Saturday's parkrun ... it's a new one for me and somewhat out of the blue. I think it will take some time to heal up (still limping now), so I'll have to switch to bike & pool and aim for some sprint triathlons in the summer. Really irritating to have slogged through this miserable winter, alongside a manic workload, and ended up reasonably fit. But now, just as the light and heat return, I'm bliddy well benched! Nevertheless, it is what it is, so will just have to suck it up and get on with what I can. Once the inflammation subsides, I'm hoping to be able to start cycling to work again and will switch my Sunday long run to a long cycle too. Bah!

• Dr Dan – sorry about the injury, you are right about it happening at the wrong time with regard to light and weather! Been feeling that way myself recently. Fingers crossed it improves enough soon so you can at least get on your bike.
    Isn’t plantar fasciitis (assuming that’s what you have) one of those injuries that can be managed so that you can continue to run on?

How did the K reps go Bob?

Another decent run for me last night. I ran to the gym (1.5miles slowly) did an extra 5 mins in gentle progressive style on the treadmill – followed by 18 mins @ 14.8kpm, this equates to about 6:32/m, so just a bit slower than MP before injury. Then ran home the direct route, about 0.6miles. So about 5.5miles in total.
    Effort section felt tough-ish, certainly harder then MP, though I find it hard to judge on a treadmill. I binned the effort at 18mins just because I felt my legs (left in particular) tiring, so thought it prudent to back off before I had a setback. No worries this morning though, taking a rest day to ensure any recent improvements have time to bed in. Patience, have to remember to be patient!

• Bad news, Dr. D. Quite a few on here picking up or struggling to get back from show stoppers recently. image Wish you a speedy recovery. 

Hard session for me last night. Probably too hard, felt pretty mullered afterwards and still a bit drained today, so much so, I deferred a planned lunchtime run from work until this evening at earliest, may yet cancel it altogether. Would be the first planned run I've bailed out on since I was ill with a chest infection in the lead up to Christmas bar switching one to a cross-train on the exercise bike due to a calf niggle. Got the option of a joining a pal for a jog this evening though, and he'd be approaching 9:00 mile pace, so might try to do a couple of miles with him to at least stretch the legs out and get the blood flowing to them a bit.

Seems strange now to think that pace is not far off where I was going flat out at the end of last year! I was hitting 6:41/6:42 mile pace for each of 3 x 1k intervals in the latter middle part of last night's 7.3 miler. Just under 59 mins of running in total. with 2km warm up, 2km @ LT'ish (7:22), an easy km, the above intervals, another easy km, and then a final stab at getting back as close to LT pace as I could (7:37, so not very!), before a final easy km to finish. Had to have a few seconds walking break after the last 2 intervals, and around 2 mins in total between them (the rest of it jogged) where I'd normally take 90 seconds all jogged, but still good to hit those paces particularly with an uncomfortable cross wind throughout.

Particularly with some stregthening work when I got back last night, I think that's all probably going to take the zest out of Saturday's parkrun, but after last week's big PB there, last night was more about setting my sights towards the medium and long term view anyway. From that point of view, it felt like something to build on - to put the above into some context, 7.5 miles at an easy pace was my then longest run on 17th February and was quite a struggle over the last mile and a half or so.

And YD - more good news from you on the comeback trail! image

• Been a while. Lazy current page catch-up...

Mr V, I heard you were considering MD. You should 100% give it a go while you're young (even though everybody thinks you're old).

Duck, well done on the sub-18. Well-deserved.

YD, what's the idea behind the treadmill running? I tried a bit when I had my knee problem and thought the treadmill was helping, but on further investigation it wasn't that - it was just that I couldn't spend long enough on the treadmill for it it flare up.

Phil, what is your goal MP? I was thinking of holding up a pair of tiny orange shorts at mile 25 to give you a boost. PRF, what's yours?

Dan, I had a bit of foot trouble a couple of weeks ago. Never really had it before, but it came and went quite quickly. What makes you think you'll be out a while?

Bob, trying to hit LT after hard reps is something that is probably better done by HR or PE rather than pace. If you're going to do it at all - your body's probably had enough by that point and I can't imagine you'll be getting the expected training effect anyway.

Training's been great for me. Managed a 4.35 mile race at 5:41/m average a couple of weeks ago, so endurance is OK. Then did my first hard track session this season: 8 x 400 @ 68" (goal 1500p) with 2' rec. And I managed the last one in 63 which has given me a bit of confidence for 800, which I was considering dropping. Perhaps all the gym work and hills are paying off.

Any ideas on this: lately on easy runs I am finding HR/pace ratio is excellent for the first mile, then it settles down to what I'd expect. This isn't due to a dodgy HRM - effort is also low and I've checked manually. E.g. for 65% MHR I would expect about 8min/mile; but the other day I was seeing 6:30 - 7min/m for the first mile. I've always experienced cardiac drift, but nothing like this.

It's not a bad thing, but I'm just wondering what it might indicate fitness-wise. Obviously, if I could extend the length of time for which it happens I'd be on to a winner.

Anybody doing the Westminster mile on the 26th?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Dan - All the best managing the injury. I've not had any experience of it, so can only offer the usual words of consolation, which include the silver lining of the multi-sporter's other options.  Hopefully it's OK to cycle on, and I guess you can always focus on improving the swimming.

Simon - I pretty much ignore HR during the first mile, not least because that's the time I'm most likely to get erroneous readings.  Also, if I'm in high volume training AND feeling fit, that's when it takes a longer time for HR to level out.  Even on tempo or MP runs after a good warm-up, it can be a good couple of miles before HR levels out.  If anything I think this places more emphasis on the need for good pace judgment when starting out.  Good pace on your 400s. I think you'd be leaving me for dust over 1500 this year then, but do you fancy any more BMC races over at Sutcliffe Park?

I've declared my A/B/C target on the sub-3 thread as 2:33 / 2:34:56 image / sub 6m/m.  In truth I'd be over the moon with anything sub-2:35 and I've printed off a 2:34 pace band for reference on the day.

Interesting final tempo run last night, supposed to be 15mins MP, 12mins "lower end of threshold", 15 mins MP. Ended up as 5:49/m, 5:43/m, 5:52/m.  (9.6M total, 7.3M tempo) Really struggled to pick things up in the middle bit, but MP felt OK so that's the main thing!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Simon Edward wrote (see)

Dan, I had a bit of foot trouble a couple of weeks ago. Never really had it before, but it came and went quite quickly. What makes you think you'll be out a while?

My inability to walk properly 6 days later! I'd love to be proved wrong.

RE: HR at start of runs ...I usually notice the fast pace for HR at the start of a run ... when I do my sub-LT session by HR, I run the first few miles to pace and then start using the HR as a ceiling (otherwise I run way too fast at the start).

YD ... promising progress! Be patiently patience.

Bob - looks like things are coming aloing very nicely!

Phil - 2:33!image Looks like things are going really well for you! RE: multi-sport, I spotted this yesterday when looking for events for my son ... I've run the cycle leg before and it was a hard hard climb, so can't imagine doing it on a bike (in fact I over-took some cyclists the day I ran it) http://www.toughnutevents.co.uk/?page_id=436

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

"...do not fear, we have only taken out some of the easier sections."  Ha!!  Interesting that they call it their answer to the Ballbuster.  From your description the climbing sounds a lot tougher than Box Hill, which is admittedly quite tiring the fifth time round but altogether quite gentle in the grand scheme of things.

I've now got my eye on the Powerman UK duathlon in August.  This is the same weekend as the World Duathlon champs in Canada (which I will probably qualify for) but the more I think about it, the less likely a trip to Canada appears to be fitting into my summer plans / finances.  10k / 60k / 10k sounds doable; the longer course would involve far too much long bike ride training! 

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Dan – Sorry to hear that as you’ve had more than your fair share of injury problems. Crack on with the cycling and swimming.

Simon – Sounds like you are flying at the moment.

Phil – Make sure you repost your number so we can stalk you online on the day! I'm going to have about 20 tabs open to keep track of everyone I know who is doing it image

YD – Good stuff. Keep up the patient approach.

Things continue to be a struggle for me with what I assume is some underlying issue. 3x1 mile @5k effort a couple of days back came out at 6.13 average. About 40 secs a mile slower than I’d expect. 10 miles last night completely wiped me out. I thought I’d sorted my issues out with giving up gluten but I feel I’m back to square 1 again. The last couple of years of running seem to have been a continual cycle of 1 step forward 2 steps back. I’m really at a loss to explain my current situation which is definitely more than just lack of fitness. All the while my motivation to train properly continues to decline. I’m just trying to keep in mind how good I felt at the start of the year. Surely I can get back to that again?? Apologies for self indulgence image

• Phil, I'm definitely up for another smackdown at some point. Those 68s are goal pace though - definitely not current fitness. Are you and Duck up for getting Team MG back out for the Battersea Park relays?

Mr V, sorry to hear that. It did seem that the gluten-free switch worked almost immediately. How long has this current bout of feeling bad lasted?

• Dr Dan - Bugger!! That sounds painful. As with most things, it will probably fix itself well enough, it's just that lots of that stuff called patience is required which is not what runners like employing. Best of luck with it.

YD - Can be summed up in one word - promising! image

Phil - Tasty numbers but remember that faster isnt better, it is all in the aesthetics of the number combinations. Not that you need telling that basic truth of course image

Simon - I don't think in terms of targets as such, just get stuck in and see what comes out of the other end. I would like to think that a comeback PB will be on the cards, ie faster than 2:55, and then anything else is a bonus. As always with marathons though, it could all go spectacularly tits up....so we will see in 8 days time.

Mr V - Your situation sounds horribly frustrating. I hope you see some light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Curly - Best of luck on Sunday. It looks a bit windy but apart from that conditions look good. 1 day 19 hours 22 mins 47 secs to go.........

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Phil ... yes, it's a cat 2 climb on the way up to the Holme Moss transmitter and then a cat 3 on the return climb ... nevertheless, despite it's aparant toughness, this route still only forms a minor part of Stage 2 of the Tour de France 2014 stage. 

MrV ... sorry to hear that. Very frustrating for you!image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

MrV - Horribly frustrating.  Hang in there.  I presume you've done all the allergy/intolerance tests going??

Simon - The relays have been discussed with other club mates so there might be split loyalties there!  On the other hand, there is more than one race. image I reckon we could knock half a minute off last year's time between us.

prf - Another target for me: match the 5th ranked UK female time for last year: 2:33:44 by Amy Whitehead. I bet she enjoyed that!

I'm trying not to get too hung up on specific time targets, and in this spirit I do have some non-time-specific (and therefore weather conditions-independent) targets in mind, which may help me focus and keep the faith when it starts getting messy:
    - Team prize
    - A decent V40 ranking (top five??)
    - Top 100 overall (2:36.xx last year)

I hear Curly is all packed up and ready to go.  She's remembered the Vaseline.  I predict a cracker!

• Simon – treadmill running is pain free, though I have not run for more than an hour on a treadmill. Running outside has been painful from either the off or after a short time of setting off. However, I ran 2.5 miles outside the other night with only a hint of pain after 2 miles, I am hopeful that this is something I can build on. Though the issue is clearly not resolved.
    Good to see you posting again. As for your HR question, what Phil said really, I wouldn’t pay any attention to HR until you have run a couple of miles and things have settled down.

Bob – that’s was a bloody hard session you attempted the other night. Though I think it is a good idea for those on lower mileages to try to hit a mix of quality paces during a single hard session. As your fitness is improving all the time at quite a fast rate, you never really know what your threshold is, what VO2max pace is. If you do ever pin it down, it often moves on quite quickly. So mixing the paces up a bit increases the chances of hitting the right zones.

Phil – I predict an A target if conditions are favourable and a B if not image
    Nice sessions the other night, I always find HMP tough after MP.

Sorry to hear that Mr V, back to the Docs?

Yes prf, but it will be a while before we are smacking-down again I fear.

Good luck Curly!

Was planning on going to the gym tonight, but feel a bit blergh today. Probably my body fighting something off, doesn’t feel serious though, an early night will probably sort me out.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Simon – Hard to say exactly. I think it started around the time I got injured. I was struggling a week or 2 before that but assumed that was due to it being really snowy and several degrees below zero (and maybe it was). Then obviously when I was out injured I couldn’t judge how my running would be. When I came back from injury I felt rubbish but then that’s expected when you haven’t run for a while. It’s only now that I’ve been back 7 or 8 weeks that I can say with confidence that its more than just a fitness issue. It’s weird as I was feeling so strong at the start of the year. In the couple of weeks before injury I ran Newcastle parkrun at a fairly relaxed 10k effort in strong winds and mud in 18.06 and felt like I could have gone round again, I knocked out a comfortable sub 40 10k at the end of a 17 miler and a hilly 10 mile MP run in 65 mins. I actually felt optimistic that I could have got close to a sub 80 at the Brass Monkey and a sub 60 at Thirsk. I think I’d struggle to break 90 for the half right now.

Curly – Good luck! You are in great shape so make the most of it image

PRF – I like your attitude and I’ll know you will enjoy the day whatever the outcome.

Phil – Sensible to have the non time related goals as well. I do hope its good conditions for everyone though as there are so many potential big performances waiting to happen!

YD - Perhaps, though last time he said if its not gluten he's stumped. So not sure what he can do!

• Phil, fine. I'll grab a couple of 4:20 runners from Croydonimage The one in July clashes with a club meet so I'm only free in August.

YD, I suppose having control over the running surface is the key.

Mr V, I can imagine how frustrating it is. Maybe the switch to gluten-free did work last time and this time round it's just a lingering virus and a coincidence. When I was suffering at the end of last year I just stuck to plodding for a while until I felt better. Perhaps you could try a change of focus for a bit, such as getting down the track and doing some easy, but speedy, reps. E.g. 10 x 200 @ 1500 pace with plenty of recovery.

• Simon - Thanks. Yes, was a bit of a cobbled together session when I remembered I wasn't going to get the originally intended 4 x 1k repeats in due to some 'road' works on the path around the Holme Pierrepont rowing lake meaning having to scale and descend a very steep, grassy bank part way round. As YD suggests though, I quite like these mixed pace sessions as I'm never really quite sure where I am due to the swift nature of the 'new to training' gains I'm still enjoying. With hindsight, that last km trying to get back to LT pace was a bit random though! And sorry to be noobish, but PE? Perceived effort? Sounds like you're going very nicely yourself there BTW - fantastic paces.

Dr D - Thanks too. Yes, very pleased with my progress, though need to avoid getting carried away and overdoing it with too many sessions like Wednesday evening!

Sorry to hear about your latest setback, Mr V, particularly after things looked much  more positive after your Portugal trip.

Hope the early night does the trick, YD and good luck from me too to Curly. You're surely going to go well on the back of some great training. 

Did go for the little jog last night with my pal, and with him having had 3 weeks off running (he's more of a mountain biker) and plenty of chat, the 3.5 miles came out at about 9:40 pace in the end! To be honest, it was just what I needed in the circumstances, felt much better afterwards, and spot on again today apart from a little residual tiredness in the legs, so have set myself a couple of nice round numbered targets for tomorrow's parkrun, pacing by the km rather than mile as I normally would. 

The ambitious target that I'll set off at has cumulative splits of 4:10, 8:20, 12:30, 16:40, 20:50 for a sub-21, and the fall back position if I'm struggling, but which would still give me a small PB is 4:15, 8:30, 12:45, 17:00, 21:15. Both are hopefully nice and easy to remember even under the stress of hard running. Anything under 21:24 would be a PB.

• Mr V - we seem to mirror each other. Really sorry to hear you are struggling. I've been ill for 3 weeks now and think I have only run 5 times in the last 3 weeks, now that is saying something for me! Just when I think I might be coming back and then something else. Supposed to be doing a race on Sunday but haven't yet run since last Sunday. We'll see.

Could it be something that you are eating that is hidden gluten? Have you made any dietary changes recently? Hope you get it sorted.

Curly - best of luck on Sunday. Enjoy it.
  • Chins up Mr V and Kelly ( not that you have many) although your thing sounds more complicated Mr V; get some tests immediately.

YD, sensible and methodical approach as always. Always the strategist ( even your boozing sessions are planned to the finest detailimage )

Dan, i feel your pain..literally! Like you I have a plantar issue as been hobbling all week so zero training but that said I got up today and it felt better ( after daily icing, tens machine, anti-inflamms, stretching etc) and did parkrun. Will prob regret it later but I've had enough of cotton wool.

Simon, welcome back!