I have never excercised

Hello, Im 19 about 6" and around mid 13st area. I have been smoking since i was 16 and started to quit a few months ago and that is going very well(Whilst its to early to claim i have quit i am going 2/3 weeks without one). I did not have an active childhood, i was the kid always skipping PE(My old PE teachers would be laughing if they knew i was thinking of running). I really never exercised, i didnt even bother with a casual kick about. Now i want to make a change and improve my general health and fitness. I have tried a gentle jog and manage maybe 300m before i had to give up (I get severe pain in my lungs and/or cramps). I have also had been telling me that i run weird when they have seen me dashing for the bush etc (Always been to embarrased to ask how) and i did read on one forum that this could be due to undeveloped muscle due to lack of use, Any other ideas/suggestions? Any tips/guidance on getting starting (especially on breathing techniques and posture) would be brillaint. Thanks. 

Comments

• Record how fast and how far you run each time. Run a little bit every day. You will gradually improve. The pain will get less, take longer to arrive and you will recover quicker.

Set an achievable target such as doing you local Park run in two months time.

When running always focus on running forward, thus any movements that don't help this are wasteful. E.g arms should be like pistons going forwards and back, not going across your body; your head should be steady with your head up and focused 20m in front, not looking at your feet. Keep your back straight, do short fast steps.
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Have a look at a beginners plan such as the couch to 5k, or the plan below (from Jog Scotland). Depending on your location and time available, groups like JS are great for help & encouragement in getting started:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.asp

Week 1

Tues: Run 1 min, Walk 2 mins, 6 times

Thurs: Run 1 min, Walk 2 mins, 6 times

Sat: Run 1 min, Walk 1 mins, 10 times

Week 2

Tues: Run 2 min, Walk 2 to 4 mins, 5 times

Thurs: Run 1 min, Walk 1 mins, 10 times

Sat: Run/Walk 1 ml and record time

Week 3

Tues: Run 3 min, Walk 3 mins, 4 times

Thurs: Run 3 min, Walk 3 mins, 4 times

Sat: Run 3 min, Walk 1 to 3 mins, 5 times

Week 4

Tues: Run 5 min, Walk 3 mins, 3 times

Thurs: Run 5 min, Walk 3 mins, 3 times

Sat: Run/Walk 1 ml, repeat, and record time

Week 5

Tues: Run 7 min, Walk 2 mins, 3 times

Thurs: Run 7 min, Walk 2 mins, 3 times

Sat: Run 8 min, Walk 2 mins, 3 times

Week 6

Tues: Run 8 min, Walk 2 mins, 3 times

Thurs: Run 10 min, Walk 2 mins, 2 times

Sat: Run 1ml, Run/Walk 1 ml and record time

Week 7

Tues: Run 12 min, Walk 2 mins, 2 times

Thurs: Run 12 min, Walk 2 mins, 2 times

Sat: Run 2 mls and record time

Week 8

Tues: Run 15 min, Walk 1 to 3 mins, 2 times

Thurs: Run 15 min, Walk 1 to 3 mins, 2 times

Sat: Run 2mls, Run/Walk 1 ml or 5k race and record time

Obviously, the days are flexible, the idea being to have some rest between sessions. Also, don't worry about speed - I found when I started that I would try to run too fast when on my own without realising it. Just jog gently at a pace where you can breathe easily - that may not be much faster than a walk to start with, but we all start somewhere, and if you're sensible with it you'll keep going and see the benefits.

Good luck with it. image
  • good luck, the plan above is a good one. I was always rubbish at PE at school too, no-one ever wanted me on their team, but now I have run half marathons and done some triathlons, and I am 45. You are still very young so you will probably be able to increase your fitness fairly quickly.

Make sure you get some decent running shoes - go to a running shop for some advice, and just take it steady. You can always do something like swim or cycle or go to a gym on the days you aren't running to help build up strength and fitness

• I am suffering from the same problem, I have never exercise. But slowly you will get use too. Slowly increase the duration.

ethernet first mile

• mathschick wrote (see)

good luck, the plan above is a good one. I was always rubbish at PE at school too, no-one ever wanted me on their team, but now I have run half marathons and done some triathlons, and I am 45.

Err don't you mean walked a couple of half marathons?

• alex - not sure what your problem with me is, but I have RUN  several half marathons, only walked one because I entered before injuring my knee, waiting for the results of an mri and following the consultant's orders not to run. My walking pace is faster than some people's running pace anyway. If you haven't got any advice or encouragement to offer the OP then why bother sticking your oar in?

• mathschick wrote (see)

alex - not sure what your problem with me is, but I have RUN  several half marathons

And your fastest time was only 10 mins quicker than when you walked. 'My problem' is you saying something your not e.g. even 6 wks ago saying you might do the marathon when you hadn't even run outside for months and now your 'doing' a half  ironman in June and you not running or cycling outside even. Oh and you say keep saying you need to start taking a rest day and then days later you still haven't done any real exercise. A reality check is needed me thinks, if you even did a tenth of what you posted you were going to do it would be a start. Harsh but true

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

Well done at giving up the ciggiesimage, everyone starts somewhere .A fast walk can be the same pace as a slow jog so if your feeling really uncomfortable just walk it .Get outside in a country park with your trainers on and just give it a go .The plans mentioned are an excellent place to start ,you,ll be seeing improvements in no time image.

• alex, that was not my fastest time

however, I am not going to let you hijack some-else's thread so I am just going to ignore you. You actually have no idea what exercise I have or haven't done, or anything else about me. Go pick on someone else

Harison - fortunately not everyone on here is as rude as Alex, hope you just ignore him and good luck with your running

• Congratulations Harison Plant! The hardest part is just getting started and finding the motivation. The advice above is all really good, but don't forget to have fun as well - otherwise you'll lost that motivation.

Following a plan is good to keep your fitness on track, but just being out and about will help your overall fitness as well. Hopefully with the warmer weather (!) and lighter evenings this will make things easier.

Try starting a beginners thread, or finding local beginners in your area to keep things fun. Good luck!

• I am 43 and hadn't done any real exercise for years and then decided I needed to get healthy and loose weight and so since October I have been combining diet with exercise. I am now 3 1/2 stone lighter and ran a fun run in 30 mins and have put in for my first 10km. So if I can do it anyone can.

I would recommend the couch to 5km program, it kept me motivated and it was great to see myself getting better each week.

Good luck and enjoy.

Sara