P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Cheers NN - I will deffo take some pre-race!

JF50 - hope you weren't referring to inserting buses! image

Mace - thanks for bus info.  We'll catch one this evening to go down to Jamie's Italian.  Walking will be minimal today.  Haven't decided what to eat yet... oh wait a minute.... I'll have pasta image

Lit/Fiona - I hate Facebook and Twitter TBQH.  They should do a web page like the VLM, which is less hassle.  There's also an app for iPhone, etc and Android, but it's overkill I think.  Anybody that can update via mobile during a marathon isn't running hard enough (or is at least a lot fitter than I am).

• Ten - I only use Facebook to look at the parkrun updates. Never used it for anything else. So I thought I was doing something wrong. :/

I agree that if you update while running you aren't worki g hard enough.

Enjoy your pasta
  • Ten..if you use the whole country's supply of Immodium before I get my London stash, I will not be very happyimage Best of luck tomorrow to all doing Brighton, look forward to hearing your reports. Done my final long haul, turned into 18 miles because the sun was shining. Do you think P and D will come round and kick my buttimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

You lot not running? to much reading back lol.

Ten all the very best for tomorrow and you Mace and see you in London for tea and cakeimage

JF50 I think 30 years is long enough and some of the stuff here was enough for anyone, I don't see how the Government thinks Firfighters getting out of the big red lorries and using zimma frames at the age of 60/65 to rescue people is a step in the right directionimage But for the past 30 years I have paid 11% of my salary towards my pension I didn't see anyone complain about the low paid firemen back then, no pay rise in the past 4 years then got one of 1% and my payments for my pension go up by 3% so still worse off......

Sorry about the rantimage think the Nurses are in the same sort of positionimage

Lit nice running.

1 mile warm up followed by Parkrun 1 mile at MP and 2 miles at 5k pace 1mile cooldown enjoyed this as I ran the first mile of the park run with a mate before changing gear and running through the field to finish 9thimage 8 miles easy tomorrowimage

• No Pain wrote (see)

You lot not running? to much reading back lol.

Ten all the very best for tomorrow and you Mace and see you in London for tea and cakeimage

JF50 I think 30 years is long enough and some of the stuff here was enough for anyone, I don't see how the Government thinks Firfighters getting out of the big red lorries and using zimma frames at the age of 60/65 to rescue people is a step in the right directionimage But for the past 30 years I have paid 11% of my salary towards my pension I didn't see anyone complain about the low paid firemen back then, no pay rise in the past 4 years then got one of 1% and my payments for my pension go up by 3% so still worse off......

Sorry about the rantimage think the Nurses are in the same sort of positionimage

Yes !!! but dont get me started...

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Men, 15West, Al-runs this is what I will be wearing so if you see me at the start please come over and say hi.

/members/images/370100/Gallery/London_2011n.jpg

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Will you be pulling that face, though?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

jeepers, NP - what the hell did they shout at you to make you sooo angry??

Best of luck tomorrow, Ten and mace. Don't be shit guys image

I only need to win the lottery this weekend. Then I will retire too image.

6 miles for me with 3 @ MP. Totally forgot I was supposed to do 7 miles, no MP but strides image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    That was at mile 13 waving at the Fetch peeps on the otherwise of the road, sorry about pulling a funny faceimage
  • NP, that wasn't somebody having a go at your pension was itimage 

Good luck to you, I think we all imagined we would be able to give up work at a good age but the goalposts are definitely a lot further away for some people now, I pity young people starting work today, who knows when they will be able to retire.

• NP - us also. We work for nhs too. Sadly I still have a hundred years left and probably won't get Amy pension by then.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I studied for 10 years and only got a full-time job at 29, so I'll probably have to work till I die, if there are still any jobs left in my field by then.

On a more positive running-related note, I did some extra strides today because it was sunny and my legs felt amazing.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ten - good luck tomorrow. Stick to your pace, and enjoy.

I've got a question about VLM supplied kit bags - how big are they? are we only allowed to store the kit bags provided?

• Yes you are only allowed the bags provided..they are about the size of a bin liner lol..so plenty of room..

• 15W - I saw people last year manage to get a small wheels suitcase into then so they ate quite generous.
  • what kind of stuff will you be putting in your kit bags? Trying to work out what I will need at the end and all I can think of is wine! 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Change of clothes including pants, wet wipes, phone, comfy shoes, flapjacks, vaseline.

I'm not sure you'll need the wine actually in the kit bag.

• I'm hoping my wife will be carrying all that. Lucky wife eh?!!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Thanks for your answers - I will be travelling down alone so will need to store all my stuff. Sounds like the bags are plenty big enough, even for all my grooming equipment.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, depending on where she is spectating you might want some of the stuff before she is able to meet up with you. Perhaps she should just carry the wine. And the corkscrew (unless it is fizzy).

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

current forecasts are that it could be very nice next weekend in London for any spectators, and a bit warm for us runners.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Had my last pasta meal at Jamie's (hurrah).  The wife, being sympathetic to my plight, had the mixed grill image  I've been making a real effort this year and I'm in the ballpark for the carb count. 

Looking forward to a really good night's sleep image

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'll try not to be shit!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    I can get a rucksack in it so plenty big, you are also given another goody bag with a drink, a can of beer, apple and other bits of stuff. I normally pack a recovery drink in my own bag. Plenty of bars around horse guardsimage and Chandos but its worth going back to the hotel first to freshen up.
  • stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

15w, I had the same concern as you and some other forum had last years bag as 21" x 23", so just check your weekender bag easily fits in those dimensions.

• Chris - I would definitely put some stuff in a bag for before you meet your wife. It is a bit of a walk to the meeting points and very busy to get through the human traffic, although you'll be earlier so it should be too bad. I had drunk my recovery shake before I reached my husband and I definitely wanted a sweater.
  • so. recovery drink and sweater. anything else that anyone would reccomend to include? I mean essential things as the wife will have most things. 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Cheap phone, money, painkillersimage,flip flops, aftersunimage, grand designs magazine*.

Got a sore throat. Bastard.

Good luck Ten and Mace - and if you are reading this and its Saturday night - get to fuckin bed!!!

*Not necessarily true.

• My youngest son is very sick at the moment. And as tempting as it is to not go near him all week, I haven't got it in me. So he's currently cuddled up watching the Masters with me. And I'm hoping and praying that whatever he has is nothing serious (for him first and foremost) and not contagious (for me secondly). Talk about sods law! 

• Chris,

I use Vicks 'First Defense' at the first sign of a sniffle and sometimes even when someone sniffles near me.  Only had one cold in two years and that wasn't bad enough to interrupt my training.