Sweaty pits!

Hi all - please be very gentle as this is my first thread. Anyone got any advice on the use of deodorant pre exercise. I've been tending not to use as I feel it's probably better to 'glow' naturally. But I am acutely aware that standing down wind of me may not be the most pleasant of experiences, particularly in the gym, not so concerned outdoors. Any advice? Do you all deodorant up or go 'au natural'?

Comments

• I'll try and be gentle!

Eww wear deodorant!!
  • Yes I do but I can't honestly say it copes that well with vigorous exercise.

But in any case fresh perspiration shouldn't smell - as long as you shower straight after there shoudn't be too much to worry about.

• You must be lucky to be able to go au natural all day without exercise.....i would soon start to sweat which would then turn sweaty afterwards......

I always wear a really powerful deoderant for running......

but if you only glow and then shower straight afterwards then you would be ok......#

I stink

• I do glow bright red! And I to have failed to find any deodorant which copes with vigorous exercise. Is the body not designed to naturally cope with extra heat via the sweating mechanism and stopping this might lead to over heating?
  • Caroline Martin 7 wrote (see)
    I do glow bright red! And I to have failed to find any deodorant which copes with vigorous exercise. Is the body not designed to naturally cope with extra heat via the sweating mechanism and stopping this might lead to over heating?

No. You don't just sweat under your arms do you? Think about it.

• mitchum 48 hr for men.........stops any problems in the under arm area

• I would never dream of using an anti perspirant specically for exercise, I jsut dont think it would be worth it?
    As Screamapillar says, fresh sweat shouldnt smell, it may well be that what you are smelling (if indeed you are) is stale sweat on some of the technical fabrics which can be sorted out with something like Miltons

• You need to sweat. It's essential to cool you down. At fast speeds most of your energy is going into keeping yourself as cool as possible.

And as has been said - fresh sweat doesn't smell. Just shower after. No problem.
  • I wouldn't be caught dead leaving the house without deodorant, let alone actually exercise.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I've only ever noticed what anyone else at the gym or at running club smells like if they've sprayed on some strong-smelling deodorant. There was a bloke out running once where I had to move away from him because the smell of his deodorant or aftershave was making me feel a bit sick. Whereas gyms are full of sweaty people and you don't usually spend your time in there thinking 'god, everyone stinks!'

• I don't put any on specifically pre exercising , normally on morning runs I get out of bed and go out before showering , and shower when I come back , or eve , I will have had some deoderant on after morning shower , but tbh that would have worn off after a day at work , I run then shower before bed.

I don't see the point in being fresh and clean to go out and get purposely sweaty , and I'd never put deoderant on unwashed skin, because that has deffo got to be worse than natural scent !

Just wash after you finished exercising then deoderant and perfumes are nice for usual daily activity