Exe to Axe 20 miler

2»

Comments

• Thanks sideburn good tips .what's weather forcast wet here at moment (Bristol).sounds like trail shoes again.slow 10 for me tonight.
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

The course is dry as a bone.. rock hard.. No significant rain has fallen or is forecast... tough call for footwear....  BBC Weather for the forecast....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2646276

• Good luck tomorrow sideburn have a great run say hi when you pass me will have a redish brown backpack a timberland one and a green sweatband on.early start for me in morning & early night . Do you know how long it will take to get to start from j27 m5.thanks for the great tips.enjoy
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I would allow a good hour, maybe a bit more.

Come off the A361 at Aller Cross (The Northgate Inn) and take the A399 right, turning right again at Blackmoor Gate (towards Lynton) it was well signposted last year (turn left after the station).

I will be in a white Endurance life top and an Inov8 belt bag. Good luck.... weather looks shit..... but not cold image

• Hi sideburn ... Hope you got on ok yesterday how did you do ? ? My feet are battered should lose a couple of toe nails which means it was a great run. That was a hell of a climb first few miles on the second loop it started to turn nasty with the rain & wind did lose my footing a few times but hey ho.it was a great run I see what you mean about the hills think needed hiking boots at one stage.running through valley of the rocks was outstanding and the cliffs was amazing looking across the sea .I finished 6.45 ..great run.
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I am feeling a bit second hand at the moment; I tried to win my age group and went too fast! Consequently I went slower than last year image So I am pleased that I went for it, but looking back I should have added some time because of the conditions. Hopefully my local knowledge helped you; did you see/feel what I meant about the bit between the valley of the rocks and the start of the second loop?

I stopped at the last checkpoint on the way home to see the ultra runners emerging out of the mist coming down from the cairn; it looked pretty grim. I did look out for you; what is your next race? If you enjoyed this race look at the Exmoor Stagger in the Autumn (Minehead Running Club) great race....

• Thanks sideburn local knowledge was great would love to run it again next year think I could beat my time again.what time did you managed ? It was very hard the second loop but good fun .my next run is London marathon then the Cardiff ultra (50miles) then the wall run in June.will look at that one in the autumn how far is it ? Did you start with the ultras.
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

The words, "beat my time" are a sore point... I went half an hour slower this year 5h 10m. I wanted to beat 4h 30m and have run it (unofficially) in 4h 36m so this was not unrealistic. I think the weather was a major factor as the times were much slower this year than last. Next year.... (but I said that last year). I don't know how you could describe that second loop 'fun' and doing the London Marathon next weekend???? My legs are still sore today...

You are making me feel very amateurish! I want to do an ultra but pacing is an issue for me, I cannot resist getting carried away... even in a 10k!

The Stagger is 'only' 18miles but you run from sea level to the highest point on Exmoor and back again; 1600 metres of climbing in total. Scenery is again, world class.

• Hi sideburn my recovery rate is good I add cherryactive or beetactive in my shakes after training .just loaded run on computer best mile was mile 7 in 8.58 the worse was mile 27 in 18.28..my HR avg 154 bpm HR Max 174 bpm ...think the worst part of the day was walking up to the car park.been out Tuesday done 8 ..6 wed. And 10 tonight.rest tomorrow up London sat morning .will see how I tackle the marathon at the half way point may push on or use it as a training run .. Will look at the stagger on sunday.have great weekend .