2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• That was a quick first half !!...any news ?

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    He should be very happy with that image
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys 3:16:52 on the chip.

Never reached the 3:15 pacers and the quads were murdering last couple of miles.

Very happy though and will give a bit more detail later.Time for my first beer in 3 months now !!! image and I intend to make up for it.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

FANTASTIC Mace!!!  Great splits tooimageimageimage

• All done in 3.47 which I am happy about considering the conditions which were warm for my liking ,20 degrees for the last 5 or 6 miles plus windy, some nice sunburn on my back following the shape of my vest! But for the first one am pleased image will update later

Well done mace great time image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

imageExcellent result MG, well doneimageimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Fantastic results guys, very well done! imageimage Let the celebrations begin! image

Now I wonder how the Lochaber guys got on. Blowing a gale here but 15 degrees and very sunny.

F

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Mace I was following you on the iphone nice even splits well done mateimageimageimage

MG1 great running saw that it started to warm up but thats still faster than my first and not a wall in sight imageimageimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Got out early very windy and pouring down with rain, 8 miles easyimage.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Excellent running MG1 and Mace!!! Enjoy the celebrations! imageimageimage
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Now for the Scotland twoimage.

• Mace - brilliant running -well done sir !!

MG - well done too....that really is something for your first marathon !!

• Bloody hell mace, that is some going!

MG - great run!

-----

Short summary of today would be great event, shite runner image
  • Stuart. You are not a shite runner no matter how good or bad it went. To even be prepared enough to be able to get to the start line tells me your not. ( Look at me - I did not even make the start of brighton).

Chin up son!!..... image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

SM6- Sorry it didn't go to plan, mate, but listen to AGF

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Really sad to hear that somebody passed away in Brighton Marathon today- he was only 23 as well, apparently. Thinking of his family and friends

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

That is really sad; so very young. Puts everything clearly into perspective.

Stuart as others have said you made it to the start line which many don't. You put in lots of training and have had your injury problems so savour the moment and look forward to the next. image 

Rest day for me - just some dog walking. Gave up on the gardening as everything blowing away!

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Only 12m done today, cos done some extra yesterday- and tbh, 12 was enough! Felt awful! HR high, light headed, no energy..... felt like hard work today, but done and dusted. Note to self: eat carbs before longer runs.....12.09m in 1.27.41 (7.15 av)

• WELL DONE MG1 and Mace imageimage
    Now to the image

SM6 Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good day

Not good at Brighton:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-22145008

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mace,

Well done.

MG,

Well done.  Wish it was 20c here today that's starting to get a perfect running temperature for me.

(((Stuart)))

I'm sure it's not as bad as that!

OH,

Couldn't agree more.  My thoughts are with the guys family & friends.

------

Well done on everyone's training. 

1.25 miles done yesterday & 2 miles today.  Hopefully 3 miles to be done in the week & then starting the 10k plan in preparation for my 2.5 mile race about 20 May & should be able to build on that for the 5 miler in June.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    SM6 you got round lots of people don't even get to the start line well done sir. imageimage

OH, Jason, Fiona ditto thoughts go out to the young lads family a sad day.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Jason just finished my prep of 4 days food as I'm away at work. No carbs till Thursday night after my runimage
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update i am offically a marathon runner felt crap from the get go and adjust pace, willvgive a blow by blow account later

4:28:52

I hurt so much but i am happy to have completed the journey image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Great running SC welcome to the club image
  • Well done StewartC image

welcome to the club (a club that few outsiders appreciate what it is to be a member)
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Fantastic Stewart, very well done! Look forward to the detailed reports. image

F

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart sorry to hear it didn't go well.  It's a cruel sport - months of training and only one or two games a year, where loads can go wrong. 

Stewart fantastic achievement!! Well doneimageimage.  Looking forward to reading the account tomorrowimage

Jason nice 12m

HM well done on the weekend's trainingimage

NP nice (if wet) easy 8m

Hi to AGF, Fiona and OH...image

• SM6 echo what everyone else has said you did superbly to make it to start with the injuries.

Stewart c big congrats on your maiden race , it feels good to be have done it.

Mace fab fast run by you well done again image

Well he goes my report , woke up to find fairly grey sky's which I liked the look of! Hotel breakfast was okay ,then headed back and changed. The hotel was so close to the start it was perfect. Everywhere was busy so not much of warm to be had so did a few short runs up and down pen. Atmosphere was building nice.y with the Dutch really getting into the spirit , then as race started the traditional pre race anthem was sung " you will never walk alone " the famous football song which made me smile, this was followed by the band playing dambusters song which cracked me up. Hopefully no german runners were around .

Then off we went, very slow to start the first mile or so due the amount of runners, then got into my stride for the first half at race pace, at this stage the weather was fairly cloudy still but the wind was increasing which then broke up the clouds and out came the warm sun, up to mile 18 race pace was still on track, but like a bolt I slowed by 15 seconds a mile and everything became tougher. The wind and sun combined was making the going hard, along the route the crowds were great supporting all which did help, plenty of of water and songes available regularly , I never have thought before today how good a cold sponge would feel!

Got to 20 miles and knew I had to dig in but was still hopeful of breaking 3.45 at this stage but by mile 23 I thought that it was unlikely so just a case of getting to the finish as fast as my legs would carry me. Mile 24, 25 were a blur and the saw the finish and pushed to cross the line in 3.47 .28, mrs G was on the finish cheering way which was nice, felt like shite for 10 or 15 mins afterwards but that slowly eased having had water and energy drink.

The overal course is very flat and fast , I think some you guys would be looking big PB potential here.

My result was 2618 out of 8327 so not bad for the first, splits as follows

9.08 8.37 8.39 8.30 8.31 8.26 8.36 8.32,8.32,8.28 8.32 8.29 8.31 8.29 8.22 8.41 8.15 8.40 8.47 8.45 8.39 8.46 8.55 8.49 8.48 8.44

Back to hotel for a beer and shower to see my sunburnt shoulders and back above my vest line, wife's phone said it was 19 degrees so not surprising.

Anyway now I have had food , beer and rest and can say what a top day it was at a very well run , good event.

Thanks for all the support since I joined the thread and at least now I can be officially in the gang image
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    MG1- excellent report and excellent run i would say that those splits look fantastic! Not too much slowing at all- although mile 17 was a bit too fast which looks like what cost you a little! image enjoy the post race euphoria- and the great Dutch beer! image One question- did they have isotonic drink en route?