runner dies at brighton marathon

Tragic- londoner in his 20's collapsed at 16 miles mark today, and dies later in hospital. Thoughts to all his family and friends.

Comments

• This is really sad. My thoughts are with his friends and family
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Very sad indeed. Not sure we should be jumping to conclusions like that David. Though it's rare, fit young people do collapse during intense exercise and not always because they've topped up with anything off the menu. Thoughts with his family and friends.

• Upsetting news indeed.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    Very upsetting.

And don't we all put added extras into our drinks? What Claire squires took was legal and on sale in the uk. Although the particular ingredient that caused her death is now banned, and was banned at the time in the US.

All very sad.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

He was the age of my eldest son, I keep thinking of how his parents must be feeling tonight.

• God be with him, rest in peace young man image
  • So so sad. Thoughts with the boys family
  • Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

It sounds as if he had undiagnosed heart condition. Really so sad. I feel for his family, and friends. An utter shockimage

• Very sad news that makes us all realise what a marathon entails . It is not to be taken lightly. Thanks must be said to all those who tried to save his life.
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    Penelope Fox wrote (see)
    Very sad news that makes us all realise what a marathon entails . It is not to be taken lightly. Thanks must be said to all those who tried to save his life.

Were there people nearby who knew what to do? I know I keep banging on about this, but even having basic first aid knowledge could make -A LOT- of difference in a situation like this.

Do you know what to do?

• @SideBurn - medics and an off duty plod attended.  Survival rates of SCA are not good - more often than not about 2%.

• SB I'm first aid trained and they tell you survival rates are low. They always come back in tv and films. Not so in the real world.
  • there must be rapid response at such events? and the Marshall can contact them to respond? i haven't attended a large running event yet, only small ones, but in cycling events there is always rapid response available

i am okay with BLS/ILS due to my job, i do think basic skills should be taught in school, airway maintenance and chest compressions etc, despite knowledge it has be shown in research that bystander intervention is minimal as people worry they will do more harm than good and are understandably frightened in such situations, without a defib available its unlikely that a person will recover from a cardiac event outside of a hospital

• when i say bystander i mean non trained persons , at events i'd like to think that first aiders are ready to respond and in very day situations, i'd like to think that trained first aiders/medical staff etc would stop and help

• first aid and medical support at Brighton Marathon is excellent - I was running it yesterday and saw a number of collapsed runners in the latter stages (most due to exhaustion or dehydration probably) and they were attended to very quickly by the paramedics and marshalls.  and on 3 occasions I saw ambulances were brought onto the course.

sad that these things happen, but unfortunately they do

PS-  I won't bang on about runners in headphones not hearing ambulances coming from behind as I witnessed clearly in one case - until the ambulance fired up his siren which made her wake up with a startle....image

• It says on the news that the guy died after surgery. That says to me that everything that could be done for him was done.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

"Medics and an off duty plod" suggests to me that immediate, within the first 60 seconds after arrest, attention was not given. About 4 minutes after arrest it is generally too late to start an effective resuscitation.

Whilst survival rates are not good, many people have a cardiac arrest because they are old and/or otherwise unhealthy... If this chap was otherwise healthy his chances would have been more than 2%.

I am not saying that someone very close by having first aid skills would have been some sort of magic solution to this tragic event. But having some knowledge can make a difference.

• Let's face it, none of us has any way of knowing whether the first person to attend to him was or wasn't someone who had trained to do CPR. But it could be that the person responded precisely because they had been.

And whether he was subsequently attended by St John's Ambulance an off duty policeman or paramedics, all of those are trained to perform CPR. 

• You weren't there though ? So why try and work out the response time from what little information there is available ?
  • SideBurn - as the 2 above have said, don't speculate.

no doubt there will be an inquest in due course (as I believe this is the case where there is a sudden unexplained death) and the facts regarding the attendance may come out fully then

but no matter what, you cannot EXPECT full and immediate medical care in all cases - it just won't happen.  

• The Guardian reports that "immediate medical attention" was given, from medics, doctors and police.

Chances of recovering from SCA with immediate care from paramedics is ~2%.  Defib within five minutes can push that to 30%.  However, this guy may well have been screwed before he even hit the deck.  Here endeth the speculation.

• When tragic events like this occur I always wonder what their training had looked like - if he had been running 50 miles a week then perhaps we should all be going to the GP for an annual heart check up (I'm not sure if this would help diagnose this risk or not) - if he had done hardly any training then at least we would understand that he was at an increased risk on the day (although at 23 it is obviously highly unusual).

Either way it doesn't make it any less tragic but it would just help us all understand how exposed we are to the same risks if we run a marathon.

• Not sure why all the hysteria? people drop dead going for walks, driving car etc.

Its unfortunate and its life

R.I.P

• Exactly Carbloader.

Someone pops their clogs watching tv and its not reported.

Someone dies in a race and its big news. People jump on the bandwagon saying how sport is bad for you.

Its very sad still.
  • I feel for the medics in these sorts of situations too. Imagine having an apparently fit and healthy young person lying there dead in front of you? Very sad.

• I went passed the sad event, whilst he was getting cpr and mouth to mouth. It was very upsetting to see. He was getting the attention but cannot comment on the people doing it.

I do echo the thoughts of cougie, and until the facts are released will reserve judgment on training etc...
  • Let's wait to see what the lesson is before we try to learn it re: training, medical help available, gels/supplements etc. It's all speculation at this point and not doing much good.