ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Reg - good to hear from you. Well done on Brighton and a massive PB. What was your time? I hear it was pretty warm and windy and the last 5 were into a headwind.

You must be chuffed with yourself!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Reg! - Welcome back sir, great to hear from you!

Brilliant result in Brighton, you must be very pleased.

How did the race go? We demand a full report (though not as much as that pink sock wearing friend of ours provides, we don't need War and Peace image - sorry RRR, you know I love your reports!)

Don't leave it another 4 months for crying out loud! I'm having to do the double act on my own and am in danger of developings schizophrenia! 

Tigger - after the two weeks I've just had I'd agree with Sarah - looking after kids definitely counts as excercise, physical but mainly mental, depending on their age image

DS2 - Happy Birthday! No apologies required for promoting good causes here. I was about to drop some money into Reg's knee replacement fund but I've diverted the cash to yours instead (sorry Reg, you'll have to wait until pay day). 

I am absolutely champing at the bit now. I just hope that the weather is ok. Mine is in Llanelli Dave and so far it does look like it may be around 10-12 degrees. All depends on the cloud because the sun can make a huge difference and then of course there's the famous coastal wind! Last time I did it was 20 degrees, sunny and there was virtually no wind at all. 

22 degrees is my idea of hell (for a long run anyway). And then you had the wind too - not nice at all. Glad I'm on my taper image

Yes, terribly sad about the young lad who died.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks malcs - it is very much appreciated. My sister lost her son at the same time we were pregnant with our eldest daughter. it was a terribly traumatic time not helped by the fact that my sister lives in Canada. Being as he would have been 18 this summer - and the charity has done much in the area of stillbirth i thought it made sense to have a tribute page to him.

Reg - yes, it is good you are back. I saw malcs at the Surrey Spitfire 20 and he kept having arguments with himself. I, also, second the request for a full report. Nothing better to inspire than a successful marathon effort. The 4 in Paris produced fantastic reports and more are needed.

My geographical knowledge of Wales is non-existant. Apologies! I shall be praying for an overcast day for you and sarah!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tigger - Reg is back...hmm, are you thinking what I'm thinking? Reg, do you know how pretty the Derbyshire countryside is in July? I really think you'd love it...image

DS2 wrote (see)

Reg - yes, it is good you are back. I saw malcs at the Surrey Spitfire 20 and he kept having arguments with himself. 

• Haha REG you made it sound like this is confession or AA!

and yes MALCS I thought exactly the same! Derbyshire has to be the best place to race on the weekend of 26th July for all those true runners that enjoy a challenge image

Yes have spent the last two weeks running around with them..... but also lots of picnics, junk food and well of course...... alcohol!

• btw definatly entered the Medoc Marathon competition... it has my name written all over it!image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Tigger - you really shouldn't feed your kids alcohol!!!!!!!image

• Happy belated bday DS2, what a nice way to celebrate it with your father aswell. I will happily sponsor you but could you remind me in two weeks, sponsored 4 people already this month. Please do remind me though.

York marathon have opened up some more places if your interested? http://theyorkshiremarathon.com/?utm_source=YM150413&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=YM150413

Congrats reg on a marathon PB in awful weather conditions....just think what you could have done in the ideal conditions. At the moment it looks good for VLM, but they never seem to get it right so I'm not getting excited just yet! Reg do you fancy joining the team to run at TR24 in July?

Not long now Malcs, almost there.
  • Forgot to say, weather in shef was great for the first hour of my run on Sunday but it became quite windy for the last 40 mins...everyone seemed to struggle with it.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sarah. I have been conscious of it being 'charity season' so been waiting as long as I could. I will keep posting the link.

I reckon your weather looks spot on. The weather fronts look like being easy to predict so I have all my fingers crossed for you and Malcs.

It was good to spend the day with most of my family. My Dad's days are probably numbered so we make the most of the opportunities. Believe it or not he has survived two ruptured aneurisms in his life including a renal artery 17 years ago. Bit of a miracle he's still here!! The brilliance of medical science and the NHS!!!
  • Thanks for the welcome back on. I had to divert my humour to another part of my life for a bit, work. But that's a different story.

I have been reading this and trying to keep up as much as possible.

Makcs, missed you.

Well as for a report. Let me sort the children out with tea and a bath and I'll sort one out later.

Sarah, Malcs did contact me about the tr24 but I am away on hols.

My time on Sunday was 3:55:53.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Wow Reg, that's a big step forward. Well done. Inspirational.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Reg - It's been a lonely four months for me too image

Two posts in one day smells awfully like a comeback to me. Make it a hat trick and you'll never escape! image

Great time dude - look forward to the report!

PS. oops - forgot I'd asked you about the TR24 ages ago

Sarah - 5 day, 13 hours....and counting....slowly....too slowly....

• What race are you doing Malcs?

I'd entered Brighton a long time ago even before the Asics competition so was always going to do a marathon this spring, just thought that doing two in two weekends would be fun!

Before the race, training had gone really well, better than expected really. Consistently ran 5 times a week, whilst also roughly following the My Asics app.  I mainly got my training from the Marathon Talk Jantastic challenge. Which is a brilliant motivator I must add.

After a pb at Bath Half of 11 mins in a time of 1:46:04 I was kind image of confident of a sub 4 hour at Brighton. All my long runs were at target pace and felt good leading up to the race. Even with a slight left knee niggle a developed a couple of weeks before.

Before I give my overall opinion, I must mention that the death of the young man did affect me, as I passed him receiving treatment and at the time it was upsetting to see. My thoughts go to his family and does make you think, when challenging yourself to do these kind of things.

Overall the race was very good, relatively flat course, great atmosphere most of the way round, doubling back on ourselves a quite a few of times was a bit strange and I found myself looking for my fellow club runners. I suppose this took my mind off the knee giving me jip at first and then the event as above.  By about mile 15 the sun started to show and immediate panic started to set in. Not just for the hydration or fueling strategy, there was enough Gatorade to go round (which is disgusting really) but from those who are follically challenged, like Malcs and I, meant one thing,a sun-burnt slap head. I am in pain today as my head and shoulders which has not seen the sun in months are redder than a baboon's arse. After sun everywhere in the Reg house!!

Coming into mile 23 back along the seafront was really nice and with a refreshing breeze gave me the incentive to really think I could beat my target. Especially as the 4 hour pacer man came up behind me and I thought right Reg lets go for it. Well pick up the pace to 8:54 min miles at least. 

Accross the finish line and boom, 3:55:53 very pleased and nearly shed a tear as all the hard training had paid off.  

I can recommend Brighton, its a nice course with plenty of atmosphere, a bit undulating, with good scenery (apart from the Power station) good marshalling and good local support.  The finish area is a bit chaotic and could do with clearer direction and the goody bag is a T-shirt banana and Gatorade!

We made a weekend of it and took the boys down, they loved the pier and sealife centre. And as I had never been to Brighton, despite the rumours!, I thought it was a good place to Marathon and a welcoming city.

Think thats it for now but if anything else comes up I will post.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Great report Reg. I certainly feel your pain re. the sunshine issues. 

I will be back to comment further but I just saw what happened in Boston.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Terrible thing to happen. I wonder how VLM organisers will react?
  • Aboutely awful. No-one seems to really have any information and they don't seem to have any idea who is responsible - no one has come forward to claim responsibility.

So so sad.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Ahh - nice to see you back on here RRR. The place will be all the brighter for your presence ..................and those of your socks!image

I did think about you when I heard about Boston last night. I take it you won't let the b*stards put you off running it next year? You worked so hard to earn the right to be there, afterall!

How are your legs doing?

• DS2 wrote (see)
    Thanks Sarah. I have been conscious of it being 'charity season' so been waiting as long as I could. I will keep posting the link.

I reckon your weather looks spot on. The weather fronts look like being easy to predict so I have all my fingers crossed for you and Malcs.

It was good to spend the day with most of my family. My Dad's days are probably numbered so we make the most of the opportunities. Believe it or not he has survived two ruptured aneurisms in his life including a renal artery 17 years ago. Bit of a miracle he's still here!! The brilliance of medical science and the NHS!!!

Wow, thats very impressive. Your father is def a fighter image

Im still in shock about Boston. I cant get over that people would do that to other human beings, its terrible. Give me two weeks and I will sponsor you...a fresh month so I wont have people telling me off (mainly my parents and chris) for giving all my money away to chairty!

• Reginald wrote (see)

Sarah, Malcs did contact me about the tr24 but I am away on hols.
    BOOOOOOO!

My time on Sunday was 3:55:53.
    Fabulous result, congratulations

• Malcs wrote (see)

Sarah - 5 day, 13 hours....and counting....slowly....too slowly....

Hahaha, has the taper madness returned?

• Hi Reg, that poor guy at your marathon, do they know what happended? His poor family too, my thoughts go out to his family and all those involved in Boston. Running is supposed to be about keeping fit and happy and not death and war, its so tragic.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Me neither Sarah. I can't seem to erase it from my mind. I have decided to enjoy marathon day whatever it brings after the tragic events of young Sam dying at Brighton and yesterday in Boston.

Just did an easy 6 miler and it made me realise how lucky we are to be able to contemplate running 26.2 miles and how precious life is. In a way I seemed to run with more enjoyment.

Keep safe everyone and enjoy our sport for the joy it brings!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - totally agree. It's so sad but it really does make you stop, think and appreciate what you have. I've felt quite low all day but I know come race day that this will make me more determined than ever to get round.

I believe that VLM are going to be handing out black ribbons at the expo. I'm sure there will be similar tributes at races all round the country.

Reg - sorry your return has been overshadowed by the events across the pond. You seem to have had the perfect race there. Must have been a bit nervous when you had the pacemaker breathing down your neck? Ady had a similar experience in Paris I believe.

RRR - good to see you popping back here!

Sarah - just looking forward to the race I think. It'll have a different feeling about it now though. We all need to go out and do it for Boston!

• Sarah - The reports say that it was a suspected Cardiac Arrest but no further information, can't seem to shake it from my mind at the moment all I can think is moment I passed him.

Malcs - I will be popping up from time to time, although Mrs Reg has literally just said your not back on that forum are you? I was a bit nervous, but just glad I had enough in the tank to motor on.

Its events like the past two days that bring communities, local and wider, together and peoples determination to show that they won't be beaten.  The report of the Boston runners going to the hospital to give blood just proves that.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Reg - ha! It's like you've sneaked out for a cheeky pint with the lads image Better watch that you regulate your posting then or she'll have the rolling pin out!

Sorry, missed your question earlier. I'm doing the Great Welsh Marathon in Llanelli. It's a nice small race along the coastal path and except for a few smallish hills that go over the railway line it's flat as a pancake. Mind you one of those hills is just before the 26 mile mark so there's a real risk of getting beached image. At least it's then downhill all the way to the finish. 

No running for me today. I have made my shopping list for the carbo load. Looking forward to taking on the food mountain. I hope I don't bin out this time.

• DS2 - Legs not too bad thanks and feet absolutely fine! Can say with pride all toenails intact. Apart from the middle one on the right foot which doesn't count ...! Still will be planning to run Boston next year if I can.

How's the Halstead training going?

Malcs - Good luck with the Great Welsh marathon! That seems to come round quickly!!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

RRR - feeling a bit flat with my training to be honest. I'm jealous of you lot having done paris and the others all doing VLM this Sunday. Also, I seem to have developed tightness in both of my calves. I'm due to do a track session tonight but might give it a miss and spin on the bike facing the garage wall instead.

In need of some motivation I think. One of the problems of doing a spring marathon in May. Hopefully next year I'll be running in April and I will feel in line with others.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Evening all, my computer is playing up, or is it the web, each time I've written a post it vanishes before I hit submit!! this is my third day of trying.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Noooooo it did it again!!!!! and i'd written a long post! messages to everyone!!!!!!!!