Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Lombster - as predicted, I missed #themerge. How was it? Any sign of the red mob coming down Preston Drove when you got to the park?

Really enjoying reading everyone's race reports and training analysis. I did dead on 600 training miles in the 16 weeks pre-race, far more than I've done before. At the time (some of you may remember) I was panicking that I was not as fast as the same training runs completed the previous year, but the wise words of this forum were 'trust in the mileage' - you were right. My fastest miles were the last 6 on race day.

And today...? No aches or pains anywhere. Damn it! Does that mean I could have gone faster? Will I have to run it again to find out?
  • Oh...and Toby, I needed a hug as much as you did. Marathoners are allowed image
  • Two bombs went off at finish line of Boston Marathon according to Sky News. Three dead, many injured. Bloody hell.
  • Has anyone seen the news?

Two explosions went off by the finish line of the Boston Marathon today, at around the 4:09:37 mark according to the footage. The bombs were in a hotel literally right next to the finish line where all the crowds were gathered. There are reports of another bomb in another nearby hotel.

There are reports of a large amount of injuries, some very serious. Unsuprising considering the force of the blast was knocking people off of thier feet. The medics who were expecting to deal with race injuries have now turned to helping those hurt.

There's no reason given yet for the explosions. So I don't know if this is a terrorist attack or not but whoever did it need to be found and dealt with.

• 2 confimed dead, 23 confirmed injured.

My thoughts are with the family of those deceased and injured.

• Can't believe it. Yesterday was such an amazing positive day that would have been similar in Boston - achievements, warmth, pride and support for all ..and then such horror! I just can't understand it. My thoughts are with them
  • our thought go ou to all caught up in thisimage

• Just awful. To try imagine the excitement and energy on those streets, before it happened. It's just evil for somebody to have attacked an event for innocent folk.

As I watch the news, and consider the poor chap that died yesterday, all the frustration of missing PBs slips into such insignificance.

My thoughts go out to those people who've died or injured.

I vote we get out on the streets of London this Sunday, and make it the best marathon ever to prove the evil of a small minority won't effect the good of many nations.
  • A sad, sad day.
    Heartbreaking and my thoughts go out to those involved.

Those responsible are evil, evil b*stards. 
    So much good attracting so much evil.
    Truly a sad, sad day. image

• For me, marathon days epitomise everything that is good about humanity. Whether you're a runner who has dedicated months of your life to raise money for good causes, or you're doing it for your own personal achievement, or whether you're one of the people on the other side of the barriers who cheers for people you don't know and have never met because you want them to achieve their goal. There's something about a marathon day that just makes you feel good. It takes a particularly evil person to target something like that.

GCE (8357 Red) wrote (see)
    I vote we get out on the streets of London this Sunday, and make it the best marathon ever to prove the evil of a small minority won't effect the good of many nations.

This! Emphatically this!

• Injury toll increased to 57, no more deaths as of yet

• Would have been posting how much I enjoyed sunday etc etc but this evening's explosions in Boston have put me in a more sombre mood.  People caught up in it are just like you and me and all the friends, relatives and unknown supporters there just like ours yesterday.  Maybe as it was Patriot's Day it was a 'local' idiot and not a terrorist attack.  Will be tough for those doing London this weekend.

My thoughts too are with the families of the deceased and the injured.

Was going to ask for a replacement medal as mine was damaged in manufacture.  Seems of no importance just now.

• Green Fairy: Do it, you earned that medal. Sunday was an incredible experiance for all of us and if we let it ruin it for us, then the evil gits who bombed the Boston Marathon win. Don't let them.

The London organisers have already said that they're looking into their security measures for sunday so hopefully nothing like this will happen again.

• This is so awful! Thoughts with all those involved image
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Yesterday's new left me feeling sickimage(

Green Fairy - congratulation on finishing your 1st Brighton marathon image Ask for a replacement medal, I did at Halstead last year.
  • Green fairy you should request a replacement medal. What was your time by the way?

Did someone on here say they didn't use gels for a marathon? What did u use to fuel u during the marathon and did it work? I have digestive issues that means I cannot use gels and even sports drinks don't sit that well with me but am keen to avoid hitting a wall. Have done up to 16 miles with just water but feel I should now look at something more.
  • Very very sad news from Boston marathon. I cannot comprehend, that an event, which epitomises all what is good about human nature (the elite runners running unbelievable times, Mr and Mrs Joe Public who will never achieve greatness but spend months training for personal goals, and then the tens and tens of thousands of people who give up their time to spectate or volunteer) would be targeted in such a way. Words fail me sometimesimage

Green Fairy - I think I saw you running out of Brighton towards Ovingdean as I was running back along the seafront, I gave you a big wave.

Tillstar - I can't take gels either as they make me sick. I use Clif bloks but only in moderation as even too many of those will make me feel sick. One of the best things I have learnt to do is fuel with 'proper food' so I use nuts and mini piece of flapjack for training runs and marathons. It has really made a difference as I feel it gives me a lot more 'proper' energy rather than the quick hit that you get from a gel. The best advice is to test what works for you as there is no right or wrong way to fuel, just find something that you can digest and agrees with you.

• VieuxLilleBlonde wrote (see)

Well done everyone! You must all be super pleased with some brilliant PBs.  So glad the sun came out!

I had to pull out at 14 miles, pain just got too much and I didn't want to ruin my chances completely of doing a PB this year.

How did you get on, SDR Gaz?

Sorry to see you had to pull out, but at least you can recover properly now.

I struggled this time. I came in at 4:21 but wasn't surprised.

I changed my goal to 3:40 from 3:30 this year and was bang on target until mile 14. My calf held up but just after half way I felt a twinge and lost confidence in it. From then on I suffered with horendous cramping, everywhere. Obviously my legs telling me that I hadn't managed to get enough training miles in this year. There's always next year.

A huge well done to everyone, especially those who PB'd.

I saw the young lad in a bad way, and now the news from Boston. Puts everything into perspective. Regardless of times, we're all here to run again.

• Must say I also noticed the crowd more this year and they were absolutely fantastic. Choked me up at times. I love the last leg along the front.

Brilliant, thanks if you were one of those people image

• If you neeed 'natural' energy, try raisins.

They have more carbs per 100g than most gels.

• I will be doing Beacy Head on 26th October, count me in for that!

Also the GSR on 27th, and Dublin Marathon 28th.

All for a good cause image

• nice picture of Picklelilly in the Argus paper today

• Will add you to the list for Beachy Matt.
  • Well done everyone,some fantastic stories and runs. I've just noticed this page - I took part in the first and second brighton marathons and will do next year hopefully, does anyone know when entry opens? Is it via the website?

Awful news about the poor boy who passed away. Also awful about Boston image

I've used raisins before during races and love them!
  • Lillias Griffiths 2 entries open midday today

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Will add you to the list for Beachy Matt.

I think you should start a Beachy Head 2013 thread then Sussex

• Thanks. Is that via their website?
  • I can't understand why anyone would want to hurt runners and their supporters. Runners aren't making a political statement or trying to hurt anyone. In fact the majority of marathon runners and their supporters raise huge sums of money to try and make the world a better place. Senseless.

On Sunday I was watching my husband with my 5 and 8 year old sons - not a consideration that someone would want to harm us or the runners. London will be tough but must go ahead and I am more determined than ever to complete Brighton 2014.

Wel done all you folks who ran on Sunday - it was a wonderful event to witness and support.