Boston Marathon

Comments

• No way will I be changing my plans and letting these sickos win - I shall be in London this weekend.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Ip.none that we know of so far..

there are so mnay rumours coming out.....I expect we will have to wait for the facts..

one thing is for certain....its pointless to change plans.....

even if there was a bomb somewhere.you are still much more likley to be killed getting yourself there in a car than if you are actually there......

otherwise you might as well stay in your house......

My thoughts and prayers are with those involved and all their familes and friends

• Thanks Seren good to know.

We'll be at Mudchute as normal

• I will be running London this year,my first time,this won't stop me and i have no doubt it won't stop the majority of Runners and spectators from attending

• apparantley the boston marathon is the most televised sporting event after the superbowl.....so that could explain why it was targeted......biggest impact on the country as now americans all over will be staying in doors for a few weeks....

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I think we all know which fun loving religion is responsible for this.

I think you will be proved right........its most likely to be the extreme right wing christian unbringing that usually causes most of the major incidents in America...image

• If terrorists stop you going about your daily business then they have won.

An IRA bomb went off in the building where I worked and a second one outside while we we being evacuated.

We all went back into work 5 hours later.

• So, in the light of wishing to minimise risk, but accepting that there is no such thing as Zero Risk, I'd suggest that if you are going to go to London:

-get through Docklands as quickly as possible (nasty big towers)
    -don't loiter around the baggage reclaim/ family meet & greet/ Trafalgar Square areas
    -run it in something like 2:30 to 2:55.

These eejits want quietly locking away for a very long time. Public humiliation only promotes their sick cause.

• We'll be there at Mudchute - no question at all.
  • Terrorists, assuming that's who they are, target events like this, not for maximum carnage but for maximum effect. All those people who can't wait to post "shocking" and " absolutely devastated" the minute it happens like gossip mongers trying to be the first to get the news on facebook are playing into their hands. My response in the cool light of the morning is that I'm firmly in the fuckem gang.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    One great thing about social media is hearing that runners you know are safe. Definitely a welcome assurance.

My thoughts are with the family and fellow runners
  • I know. But the real point I was making was that we all went back to work afterwards. In other words "fuck'em" was the order of the day.

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

If terrorists stop you going about your daily business then they have won.

An IRA bomb went off in the building where I worked and a second one outside while we we being evacuated.

We all went back into work 5 hours later.

The first bomb is to get your attention, where you will inevitably move from the scene, congregate and watch, the second is designed to catch you as you regroup. Horrible tactic that was used by the IRA and killed Children in Warrington 20 years ago

No the second is for the emergency services/military and is usually in the obvious RVP point

• but that wasn't the cae here as here were only a few seconds between bombs.....or explosions....maybe there others that din't go off.....

its all designed for attention and to put fear into people....

• There were two that didn't go off.

Major respect to this guy though:

Boston's Mayor Thomas Menino was a victim, taken to hospital with a broken leg before checking himself out and taking up his position at the city's command post.

"The marathon is a great day in the city of Boston, but we had a tragedy," Mr Menino said from a wheelchair.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

There were two that didn't go off.

Unkown for certain, the carried out numerous controlled explosions on bags etc rather then take a risk of more going off, some would have been bags dropped by spectators/runners.

• Well maybe, maybe not but this was reported in the Guardian:

As many as two unexploded bombs were also found near the end of the 26.2-mile (42km) course as part of what appeared to be a well co-ordinated attack but they were safely disarmed, a senior US intelligence official told the Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

The authorities also admitted that they had to check dozens of bags left by runners and spectators so it looks like both are valid.

• its awful. the wee child.

it's sad to recall being in Boston pubs, and being asked to donate to the IRA.

• It's so incredibly sad and tragic...my grown up son (21) was just saying to me this morning...that could have been us (they've spectated at many races we've been in) - he's actually really shook up by it...I was quite shocked as he's really a sensible lad.

(I think there are many pictures circulating of more gruesome injuries than those that are going around mainstream media - tumblr and such)

All my kids said that they are so grateful that I'm not running London next week as was planned...I'm deferred to next year because of sickness.

• When I was young and they bombed Harrods I remember thinking that could have been my mum. Targeting innocent people whether they are in marathon or anywhere else is the product of a sick mind no matter what their cause is.
  • Speculation is pointless, it just accuses whoever you feel bad towards, and says more about you than those you accuse.

I agree with Sussex on this one, sick minds and no cause is worth taking the life of a child.

• I read this morning that one of the victims was an 8 year old boy who was killed whilst watching for his dad who was running the marathon. It's so sad and unexpected. I feel for the people whose lives have been turned upside down by this.

On the subject of risk, I work in a large building in the centre of London, and travel through London every day for work, and run past landmarks several times a week. If you had to pick out possible terrorist targets, I am within blast range of a number of them daily. Contrast that with the fact that I grew up in a dull, medium-sized town in the North West of England, where nothing much ever happened, yet I was in Boots when the first IRA bomb went off in a bin outside Boots on Bridge street. Everyone in the shop froze for a second or two, then dashed for either the front or back doors. I ran out the back with my mate. Some of those who went out the front were caught in the second explosion.

You can not predict when events such as this will affect you. There's no way of knowing whether an explosion at a major sporting event in the near future is now more likely or less likely.

And I will stay resolutely in the fuck em camp.

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

Dreadful events, made more chilling by the amount of footage that we saw very quickly indeed. As a runner I've nbeen on the course, and in the crowd as a supporter. Certainly makes you think.

Am a slightly seperate tack, I find myself scanning the net looking for updates. We have become used to live news feed and now pretty much expect immediate updates and information. Part of me feels uncomfortable with this. Human nature fueled by instant technology. Where does the border with goulish lie, I wonder?

• i think rolling news is more annoying that anything.

ghoulish..maybe. inaccurate? definitely. but largely it's a force for good. Look at warfare. some say the inexhaustible poring over every death in war and terrorist attrocities is mawkish and self-serving. maybe it is. but the greater scrutiny leads to fewer casualties.

WWI/vietnam wouldn't have got past day 1 if it had been on CNN.

• I'd like to think that was true Dude but I'm not so sure.

During the American Civil War people were witnessing battles in their backyards, in their orchards and on their farms. 

News wasn't instant but it was fast and it was the first major conflict where photography was available to record the events.

Similarly in World War I the British and Germans weren't able to watch events unfold with their own eyes but French and Belgians were.

Conflict was taking place under people's noses and still went on for years.

• It's a very sad day for all runners and anyone who's ever supported someone at an event. http://trytotrihard.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/a-truly-black-day-for-running.html?m=1
  • so you were so moved by the events that you thought the best way to mark it was to make your only post as a way to advertise your own blog.....image

• the american civil war was an entirely different kettle of fish, though. in a civil war, who can trust anybody, let alone trust any lines of communication?

twitter was full of 'WHY DO WE LIVE IN A WORLD LIKE THIS??" type posts last night, and fair enough, but by any yardstick, this is the best time ever to be alive. fewer atrocities, better life expectancy, a fraction of the war fatalities.

unless, like me, you live in Glasgow.