P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• My 7mi recovery jog at lunchtime turned into a 6mi marathon paced run, as I went out with some colleagues from work, and we struggled to find a pace that we could all match. Still, the pace felt pretty comfortable, so it's reassuring.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Hi all.  Rather than clutter up the thread with my verbiage, I have posted my race report in my "five year plan" thread.

If you are interested, you can find it here

I hope the recent dreadful news does not cast a cloud over your race day and that your tapering goes well.

•  

Cant defer now, seems a pathetic excuse in the grand scheme of things, a niggle in ankle, when people have died and lost legs.

Sunday will be a very moving day for all..

Did pilates this morning no spinning or anything else now(apart from pilates tomorrow) till Sunday

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ten, I already read your report. Four poos!

NN, I've got pilates tonight and need it - after only running four miles this morning I've got way too much energy.

I think people who commit attacks like the one yesterday, whether they are nutjobs working on their own or part of a larger political 'cause', feel threatened by mass events like marathons because they involve large groups of people enjoying themselves, communicating with each other, having a spontaneous feeling of community etc. So although I think we all feel a bit ambivalent about Sunday at the moment it still does seem appropriate to see it as a fun, celebratory event and enjoy it.

• Yeah. I'm coming around to your way of thinking Lit. Sorry for my miserableness earlier today - I think it just depressed me so much that I lost my mojo. I'm going to go out for a run tonight and try and get it back ready to smash the arse out of Sunday and stick two fingers up to all the morons in this world.

• Chris, couldn't have put it better myself.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Lit - I suppose it's a new technique of carb-unloading image  It's a good job the hotel was near the start area!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Regarding Boston, as desperate and tragic as it is can I propose that we follow Ants lead from another form;

'I think the best thing we (as a thread) can do is not waste any more time on the despicable, cowardly perpetrators of this outrage, but move on, without forgetting or forgiving, and talk about what is really important in our lives, i.e. self-improvement, sacrifice and solidarity as encompassed by this passion we all share.'

Chris - have a nice SLOW run tonight - no more than 3 at MP please! I am going for 4 at slow.

Illness abounds and I am doing well to have nothing more than a sore throat presently. Theres a cough every 30 secs between my wife and daughter. Hope I can keep it at arms length until next week.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I have just tried my first Beet-it shot. Blurgh.image

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

15w - I am getting used to them now

4 gentle miles ticked off and starting to get the first rumblings of nervous excitement now.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    2ltrs of beet root juice in two days still of the carbs 4 miles with 1.5 at MP 4 easy tomorrow.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Mennania wrote (see)

4 gentle miles ticked off and starting to get the first rumblings of nervous excitement now.

Are the rumblings of nervous excitement similar to the time Ten had four poos?

• Men - you will be impressed. I did 5.5 miles SLOW (ish). nothing faster than 7.30's though. Quite enjoyed it. I'm with you on the nervous excitement. I kept thinking during tonights run there is no way I can keep this up for 26 miles and that was my easy pace. I love self doubt! ha. 

No Beetroot juice for me. Its rank. Makes my poo red. And its not prescribed by P and D. I have just had sasuge, egg and chips though - I'm sure I saw that in the book on the chapter on nutrition. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Chris! What are you doing?! You're supposed to have sausage, egg and chips on Thursday! You've blown it now.

Tuesday of 3rd week taper is curry followed by rhubarb crumble....perfect combination of protein, carbs, nitrates and spices. Also - gets the shits out of the way now.

I see VLM organisers are going to be handing out black armbands to wear, and we'll be having 1/2 minute silence before start.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Are the rumblings of nervous excitement similar to the time Ten had four poos?

This will pass into folk lore. I shall regale my future grandchildren with tales of my legendary bowel movements. 

• I'm moving on to tiramisu. It's all very 80s tonight. Definately blown it. The pasta loading starts tomorrow!
  • Unbelievably windy on my 8 mile GA with strides today, I was getting it from all angles, borderimg on a joke, legs felt heavy from Sundays race and I just couldnt get into it, maybe it might of been the fact I had work in the afternoon also.  

NP - This beet root juice, do you get concentrate & mix with water?

• No beetroot juice here either, not that I dont like beetroot I just never thought of getting any..I think it will take more than beetroot juice to get me round...if you see a woman with a yellow vest black shorts and bright pink tape strapped round her lower leg piggy backing a Rhino...say hi image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Beetroot juice not the concentrate Craig drink 1 ltr a day for 5 days, yep everything pink image T en would like thatimage

NN 2011 finished went back to the hotel, cold bath changed walked back to the finish just in time to see the rhino's. It amazes me how people can carry things that big and heavy round for 26.2 miles how the hell do you train for that?

15 west regarding your question, no but I have to many memories of others stored away in a black file set deep in the recesses of my brain, it's a place I don't try to go to if I can help it. It's a coping mechanism. I also think Firefighers or when I joined Firemen have a black sense of humour a lot of people would thinks some of the things we laugh about very strange but again it's a coping mechanism. It's only in the past 8 years or so that we have had counciling made available and are more awear of PTS. Years ago we just had the sense of humour and each other within the teams that we work.
  • I have been eating real beet roots, rather than joice for the last week. Does that count?
  • Anyone else going to the expo today? I should be there around 11.30. Morning off today so will do my 2MP miles then to expo. Sill feeling a bit ill, heart rate was 10% higher on my recovery run yesterday than it has been through training. Hope today feels better.

Beet Shot loading starts tonight for me!

• I don't drink the juice but love the real thing and probably eat it most days in my salad.  I'm not sure that should be a recommendation therefore, it hasn't changed meimage

Meant to be a 7 miler tonight with 2 at MP, might just chop a bit but still run the two MP miles

I was on a long shift yesterday and didn't finish till about 10pm, was funny watching Chris' carb loading as it happened sort of thing.  Sausage, egg, chips and tiramisu all as prescribed by P&Dimage

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

VO2 and Beets

This may be more pertenant to endurance athletes

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

well - I have a mixture of beet-shots and Go nitrate gels. So there. 7 miles today with a couple of MP miles - and will be stupidly windy again I think. Weather forecast still looking ok for the weekend.

• Hey guys,

I am running the London Marathon alone. Would be great if someone here in the forum would like to keep me company?  Going to collect my running number today at excel exhibition center.  If there is a group which you accept such a late entry that would be great.

• All the carbs have just come out JF so to speak - talking of real time carb watching - ha! Maybe we should make it a TV programme. It can’t be worse than Big Brother. Though I think Ten would make the most riveting viewing going by his movements on the morning of Brighton.

Continuing on a carb theme I am currently sat at my desk with a bowl of Weetabix and a few slices of lovely tea loaf made by the wife. Today I will mostly be eating.

• Hi Mita - check out the pacing groups. They should have a stand at the expo. Find the pace that's right for you then you can be with a group the whole way round.

• Thanks for the response Al, much appreciated?  So  should I be looking for these stands on the day of the marathon , are they somewhere near the starting line?

• Not sure but they will have a stand at Excel so they will be able to tell you everything you need to know.