P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• And don't forget to pick up a pacing band (they are free) as well Mita. Good luck.

So the beetroot / shots - are they worth bothering with or not?!!

• I've taken the Beet-It shots before a few long runs and my tune up HM. Can't say I noticed a difference but I bought a job lot of them at the start of training so I'll polish off the 5 remaining before Sunday.

The only observation I made was that my heart rate seemed a bit higher than usual but didn't seem to drift upwards very much. But there are so many other factors that make it pretty much impossible to quantify any effect. But hey the placebo effect is a real thing, so if you believe...

• JF50 dont forget to let me have your mobile number...maybe we could meet at the RW stand ?..

Mita there are pacers at the start who wear T shirts and carry small boards with the pace they will be running at ..eg..sub 4 sub  3.30 whatever, just decide on your pace (which you will already know)  and tag on to the runners around them.

NP so are you trying to say the Rhinos have enough to carry without having a carb loaded granny hanging on to them ? image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Surrey Runner & JF50, I think I read that cooking the beetroot gets rid of the magic placebo ingredient. I don't see why eating it raw shouldn't work just as well as juice, though.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

I think people who commit attacks like the one yesterday, whether they are nutjobs working on their own or part of a larger political 'cause', feel threatened by mass events like marathons because they involve large groups of people enjoying themselves, communicating with each other, having a spontaneous feeling of community etc. So although I think we all feel a bit ambivalent about Sunday at the moment it still does seem appropriate to see it as a fun, celebratory event and enjoy it.

Chris J77 wrote (see)

Yeah. I'm coming around to your way of thinking Lit. Sorry for my miserableness earlier today - I think it just depressed me so much that I lost my mojo. I'm going to go out for a run tonight and try and get it back ready to smash the arse out of Sunday and stick two fingers up to all the morons in this world.

well said, both of you

Beetroot imageimageimage   tried it last year before a half and if anything it made me slower than ever and I DNFd (well that was due to foot injury but still ...) Not going there again. I also needed more than 4 poos ... beets and I just don't get on.

NN: great attitude!

Found a black armband at home. But apparently Hamburg marathon organisers will also provide black ribbons, if they can get them in time.

5 miles for me, alternating easy and MP. I feel slow and fat image. I had Oreos yesterday afternoon image. Boss kept me in the office for much longer than I had planned to ("going to finish this right now -- can you stay a bit longer and translate it"? Took him 45 mins to finish the bloody thing. Got angry and needed sweets to calm me nerves image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

image Si Go+Nitrate gels are pretty grim too. Can't they put these nitrate things in a pill?

As Chickadeee demonstrated, don't try anything new just before a race.

On race day I'll be eating instant porridge oats with a cup of tea or two - I'll be in the Greenwich travelodge which should really be called the Deptford travelodge. From there it's about 20-30 mins walk to start.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/08August/Pages/BeetrootJuiceExercise.aspx

Meant to post this link previously. It probably wont wok but you can C&P it.

Given that SIS now put them in their gels they clearly beleive there is a marketable advantage, or equally they understand how desperate and gullable  we all are

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes - we are all looking for that magic pill. Maybe we could try some of the stuff Armstrong was on...?

• I'm in 15W. Now where did I leave my needles and blood bags?!

• whatever happened to Goji berries? They were all the rage a few years ago.

• After a quiet day on here yesterday it's gone lively this morning, must be all the beet and nitrates (I thought they were good on the garden!) being consumed

I haven't really started loading yet, was going to start tomorrow, or do you all think pigging it today would help?

• Chick ...you  are feeling slow and  fat ?? imagine how I am feeling image..its been 15 days 15 days !!!!!!!! since I last ran, that the longest break from running since I had overactive thyroid problems 8 years ago !!! and if anyone else says the break will do me good I will actually kill them image.

Decided to leave a warm top with RW at mudchute then if it really is going tits up I will stop there..and save myself several more months of non running

weather looking perfect at least.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I was going to start tomorrow with a giant bowl of macaroni cheese.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

The break will have done you good, NN...

...*runs away* image

• Lit you are a dead woman ...when I catch you, which will be never !!! imagine how fat I will be if I carb load then dont  manage to run more than a couple of miles !!

• I'm just enjoying looking at menus at the moment and thinking eating that much surely can't be good for you, but if needs must.  Macaroni cheese seems a good place to start.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Guys, don't trust in dodgy vegetables or berries:

/members/images/411726/Gallery/P4050170_-_Copy_0_2.jpg

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

mmmmmhhhh Maccaroni & Cheese image

• chickadeee wrote (see)

mmmmmhhhh Maccaroni & Cheese image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

NN - sorry to see you've had such a poor fortnight image  I hope you make it after all the effort you put in.

Men - you're term "marketable advantage" says it all really, and Chick's picture emphasises the point with all the subtlety of a flying hammer image  Having said that, I wonder if I would have gone sub-4 if I had taken a couple of Beet-It shots before the marathon? image  (I already know the likely answer)

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Start 3.30pm Thursday JF50. No earlier, no later. Maccaroni cheese sounds a bit high in fat content if you ask me....

• 15West wrote (see)

Start 3.30pm Thursday JF50. No earlier, no later. Maccaroni cheese sounds a bit high in fat content if you ask me....

Bugger, think I might have started

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

Balls, thats no good, I've been scoffing malt loaf since Monday.

Just 4 miles with 2@ MP this morning for me, rather than the 7m in the schedule.  Mainly due to time constraints.  Thats my last early morning before the marathon image

• Ten its really odd but I dont actually feel as pissed off as I would have imagined I would be if I had been told this would happen, disappointed yes, but its not the end of the world, and VLM really isnt the be all and end all for me, I have done it 4 times and it will be my 8th marathon, I would rather take it easy re assess my time and see how I feel, if I have to stop I will..no heroics from me 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

actually there are so many different theories and opinions on carb loading I would just eat your normal diet for most of this week, i.e. eat if hungry, don't eat if full....but in last few days increase percentages of carbs...so more rice/spuds/pasta/bread on your plate, less protein/fat.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

F*ck that, I'm not eating the macaroni on its own.

Actually though, my normal diet does involve quite a lot of cheese (I used to live in France), so combining it with pasta will just increase the carb ratio.

• I have cut down on carbs the last few days even had mackerel for breakfast ..love fish anyway..had no bread pasta rice potatoes or cereal since before the weekend..and will start to eat more from tomorrow, but not too much as it makes me feel heavy and sluggish

• Balls, my body still seems to be affected by whatever I had. My 2 marathon pace miles were hard and way up in the LT heart rate zone. Sweated way more than usual and now feel ill. Sorry for moaning but I'm not feeling good about my target. I'll give it til my last recovery run but might downgrade my plan to just coast round and enjoy my first VLM.

Off to the expo shortly. Will report back with my expo-erience.

• AL hope you feel better soon...enjoy the expo..

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I have been persuaded to run for a charity, so decided on Leukaemia and Lymphoma as my OH's dad died of Lymphoma last year. Here is my donation page, feel free to ignore!

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/StephenWelling