VLM baggage trucks

This is probably mentioned in the magazine, but I don't have one and the PDFs on the website are not clear on this.  Does anyone know what time the baggage trucks for the blue start leave?  Just trying to figure out what my Sunday morning looks like!

Thanks!

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I can't find it in the magazine, it just says that there'll be an announcement on the PA systems telling you when to put your kit bag in, and that you do it just before going to the start zone.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think it was about 30 mins before the start last time I did it.
  • The trucks don't leave until after the race starts. They make several announcements telling you how much time you have until the start so you can judge when to drop it off. They always hold one truck/van back for the people who completely miss the caravan.

Also, as someone who has both run the marathon and collected bags with the scouts at the start, here's some two top tips:

-Don't rush. It's not worth the stress. Double check that you have everything out of your bag that you'll need for the race. Give yourself plenty of time to drop off your bag and get to the start in time.

-Before you hand it in, make sure you have EVERYTHING (gel packs, phone, lucky talisman) you need for the race. Once it's up in the truck it can be impossible to find it again. It sounds crazy, because it would have just gone in there, but with hundreds of bags in the same spot, it's hard to fish it out again. 

Hope that helps. 

Good luck to everyone on Sunday.

• Yes I think it's about 30 mins or so before the start.

I'd not risk the last truck - if you do that then you might miss your place in the pen.

You need to be at the start an hour before. Take a black bin bag or old kit to wear whilst you wait in the pen.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Why do you need to take a phone with you for the race?
  • I didn't bring a phone with me, but some people do. Maybe they use it for music or to get in touch with people during the race. Whatever works for them, I say.

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

I have taken my phone before just to contact people at the end which was useless as everyone else is doing it and couldn't get through.
    What I did do was use a rucksack small enough to fit in the bag they give you. Easier to pack and secure things in and easier to carry to start and from finish.

• Agree.  I JeremyG - iy amazes me the number of runners who dutifully place everything in the kit bag and lug it to the start.  It can be quite a long haul and the bags are awkward to carry and not very good for the back.  Even worse at the finish when you've got a heavy goody bag as well.  Pack kit bag in rucksack to travel to race, not vice versa.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'd also remind you to use the kit bag that you'll get at the expo - they wont accept anything else. I'd recommend to put your existing bag in the vlm one so it's easy to get out at the end.

• As Emmy said, use the bag you get from the Expo, they're fairly large. They don't normally accept anything else and given events at Boston i can't imagine them making any exceptions now.  I would also allow extra tme for added security checks. I'm working all day on the finish line and i'm banking on all them bags being searched as they're handed over.

• Marathon Mum is right. The lorries defnitely don't leave until after the race has started and they do also have the facility to collect latecomers' bags so don't panic if you are a bit late.

And, as BBH says, those in the know pack their bag into their rucksack then swap it over when they're all ready to go. 

• Its the London marathon. A bugger to get into and you've trained for months.

Don't arrive late for it and mess up your preparations at the last hurdle.
  • have a good run everybody running on sunday i hope you all reach your goals or pb's which ever it is and sorry 4 being a pain image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Lady Wot Jogs wrote (see)

As Emmy said, use the bag you get from the Expo, they're fairly large. They don't normally accept anything else and given events at Boston i can't imagine them making any exceptions now.  I would also allow extra tme for added security checks. I'm working all day on the finish line and i'm banking on all them bags being searched as they're handed over.

You're there again this year? image I wish I was running it again just to see your smiley face at the end!

• Hi Emmy

Yes i am.   I'm tag cutting this year, or leg molesting as i've told members of my running club.  

• cougie wrote (see)
    Yes I think it's about 30 mins or so before the start.
    I'd not risk the last truck - if you do that then you might miss your place in the pen.
    You need to be at the start an hour before. Take a black bin bag or old kit to wear whilst you wait in the pen.

Thanks Cougie - I'm having to do an overnight coach trip from Devon, then get over to my friend's place to pick up my race pack.  I'll probably be there in plenty of time, but just wanted to check!  I've done other major events before, just not this one.. plus I only decided to go ahead with it on Monday night.  I haven't had enough training, so just aiming to get round — I'll walk it if I have to.

• One more thing - I'm just letting my friend know what they should be picking up at the Expo.  Is this everything?

Race number Kit bag Sticker with my race number, to go on the kit bag Timing chip
  • check they have the riight authorisation.i imagine the security checks should be higher this year with making sure the correct people collect the numbers

• What to do if you can???t attend the Expo

Although we encourage everyone to register for the Virgin London Marathon in person we know this isn???t always possible. Here???s what to do if you can???t attend the event:

Nominate someone to attend the Expo and collect your runner number for you.

Your nominee will need a letter written and signed by you, giving permission for them to collect your number. They???ll also need to bring a copy of your identification.

Sign the declaration on your registration form. When your nominee gives the form to the Registration Clerk, they???ll check your details.

Your nominee will also need to bring some identification (for example, their passport or driving license).
  • Just realised that copy & paste screwed up the line spacing on my previous post, which may have confused my question.

I've already spoken to VLM and they confirmed she'll just need a letter and her ID.  I've sent her a copy of my ID and place confirmation just in case.  I really just need to know what she should expect to be taking away.

The list I have is:

Race number
    Kit bag
    Sticker for kit bag
    Timing chip

Is there anything else she needs to bring back from the Expo?

• That's it ibecks!

They give you everything you need.

• Thanks reikirabbit.  My friend successfully picked up my race pack today.  Roll on Sunday morning! image

• Yey!!!  get some sleep and eat lots!