5 days till London and disaster struck! Help & advice needed

Hi all

First big love to all involved in Boston - tragic times.

Focussing on London Marathon this weekend I'm turning to y'all at RW. 

After an awesome training schedule that saw me smash 2 x half marathon PB's I was floored by a terrible stomach bug at the weekend tht lasted 48 hours.

I'm slowly getting my mojo back but and am rehydrating myself & have been on a couple of very small runs (3 miles max) but I'm not felling strong yet and it's damaging my confidence.

I do not want to pull out of the event but would really appreciate any advice on how to feel strong before Sunday.

Much love and thanks in advace - James

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You won't lose any fitness now so rest and aim to start getting a lot of carbs in from about Thursday lunchtime on. You could try another very short run on, say, Friday, but the worth of doing that would be psychological more than anything. Avoid getting chilled.

You'll be fine by Sunday.

• If you are still feeling crook at the start line... Take it easy, enjoy the day. There'll be other marathons and other opportunities.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Just relax, you need to not run much this week so it's probably good you would just be full of energy going mad.  Just chill out relax and don't worry about it.

All you have to do is get to the start line and the excitement / training will take over from there.

• loving your comments...appreciate it. Also do know the relitive to what's been going on this week this is no disaster

• I have developed a painful knee over the past few days, and I haven't even been on a run! I'll still be at the start...

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    I started with Achilles tendonitis on Thursday so I'm a DNS !,, four months of slog in winter conditions down the drain !
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

James, i had this before Edinburgh last year and I had to pull out, although I got a bug the week of the race.  I was glad I did as I ran about 6 miles on the Monday and still wasn't 100% and no way should  have done a marathon.  However, no one knows how much toll this has taken on you.  You might be fine, you might not. When i got the bug, I entered a different race which was a week later, as a back up, which help eased my panic.

Maybe have a back up and start VLM if you think you are ok.  If you dont feel great by half way, pull out.  A few options are Stratford the week after (I admit, I am on a slight sales pitch here as i have a place for sale, they allow name transfers until 21st April btw) or there is Kent Roadrunner in June.  I did the Kent roadrunner last year when I realised that i couldnt do Edinburgh.

Good luck whatever you do.

• Thanks PipG - saw the doc yesterday and he gave me the all clear! You're right though, I;m going to have to listen to my body as I will not know until I;m in the zone...

I have my number and am feelign mentally strong image