Is there any hope?

Hi, Im new to this site. I suppose like others my story is familiar. Im 39 years old, slightly over weight and an ex smoker of 20 + years. I gave up smoking in the new year and decided to try and do something about getting healthier. I started the run/walk way of getting in to running but haven't progressed beyond 30 sec run 2 min walk for approx. 10 reps before im out of breathe and ready for the oxygen mask. I stupidly started smoking despite having asthma!!. One thing Ive wanted to do for a long time is to run cross country. Am I beyond help???!!!

Comments

• Hi Mat, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, good work on giving up the fags.

Secondly, sounds like you're running your 30second reps too fast. You can get rid of any preconceptions about what speed "running" means. If you've ever overheard someone saying they've been for a run, almost certainly they weren't going hell for leather like Usain Bolt. You should aim for a pace where you are able to hold a conversation. At first, and for a while, it will feel only slightly faster than a brisk walk.

Be patient. Take it easy at first. Stick with it. Use this forum, the people on it are pretty helpful and happy to give you advice, which you should of course take with a massive dose of salt, and adapt as necessary, as you learn what works best for you.

If you're so unfit at the moment that you pant when you walk normally, then see a doctor before doing any of this. In fact, if you've not exercised for a while, popping along to your GP is not a bad idea anyway. All they'll do is take your blood pressure and pulse and make sure you're not about to keel over.

• Thanks for the reply. I do a lot of mountain biking and can quite easily do 20 + miles but Im finding starting running really hard going. I know biking is very different. Im a bit worried that not being able to go beyond 30 seconds of running is really pathetic. Thanks

• Well how long have you been trying?  If you keep at it long enough there HAS to be an improvement!

• You probably are going too fast - I certainly did when I started. Think "jog" rather than "run".

Are you looking to lose some weight too? You will need to have a think about your inputs as well as outputs to manage that, there are also some great support/weight loss threads around here.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Mat, don't worry & slow down.

Im an ex mountain biker, and had regularly ridden for over ten years before starting to run.  I thought it would help, but unfortunately its different muscle groups & consistent effort (whereas MTB is more pedal hard, coast, pedal hard, coast, etc).

It will get easier - when I started I had a 2.5 mile route that I ran/walked, building over several months to the point where I ran without stopping.  In a couple of days I'll be running 26 miles (hopefully) without stopping.

• wow thanks for the messages its great to know theres people out there who can offer advice and support!!! Ive only been doing running/walking for about 3 weeks, approx. 3 times a week so I am probably running before I can walk so to speak. Thanks for the advice!!!!