Options

The Official Oats Recipes Thread!

So I'm sick of eating the same boring oats, for breakfast or as a quick, day off work dinner... Honey, Cashew Nuts and Blueberries is my latest attempt, TASTY! Must be plenty of recipes about, get sharing image

Comments

• Options

Mix some Marmite in for an interesting flavour.image

• Options
    Sultanas, marmalade and sunflower seeds today.

I also like banana and glace ginger.

Not tried marmite: Perhaps I'll give it a go tomorrow.
  • Options
    Marmite is too interesting for me, blergghhh!!

Anybody tried the egg whites mixed in for extra protein, that's my plan this morning image
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Why not try variety? Muesli with yoghurt, egg on toast, sultana bran?

Some recipes I use:

• Acacia honey
    • Fresh fruit from the garden or whatever is on offer in the supermarket
    • dried fruit
    • Seeds
    • Jam
    • Compote (whatever flavour)

Also try mixing up what you make the porridge with. Not just 'normal' milk what about almond/rice/hazelnut/coconut milk? it'll give the porridge a different flavour.

• Options

tried the egg recipe, do not use 2 eggs, just one! far too eggy :/
    i use almond milk sometimes then top with raspberries.

• Options

I alternate between putting honey and peanut butter in my porridge.  Still not bored of either taste, but then I can tolerate bland foods quite well, as long as I consider them to be nutritious.

• Options

250 gram Oats, 125 Gram of Brown sugar, 125 Gram Butter, and 45 gram golden syrup, 100 gram of raisins, teaspoon of Cinnamon and Ginger

Melt butter, syrup and sugar, pour in the rest mix well and put in a non stick dish, press down to about 1 inch thick and bake for 20 mins on 180.

Perfect way to eat boring oats 

• Options

flapjack yes, i consider it more of a treat, because of the amount of butter i use!

sometimes i make flapjack with dried apricots, oats and flaxseed, little less butter and more syrup to keep it together...

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I had an unbroken 12 month run of chocolate porridge - large spoon of hot chocolate and a little brown sugar, pinch of salt - which only came to an end when my brother came over from Canada at Christmas and brought maple syrup with him.  So it's maple syrup (and a little brown sugar) for me at the moment. (60g oats, 320ml semi-skimmed.)

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Cheese and marmite flapjack. image
    Rhubarb and ginger flapjack.
    Apple flapjack.

I used fruit puree that you continue to cook until golden. You use a lot less butter and syrup in the flapjack than otherwise. I tend not to use any if I'm making it for myself.

if you want something quite sickly then use chocolate milk.

• Options

Nope, I like my porridge just oats and 50/50 almond milk (or oat milk) and water. Nothing else needed! Sugar is the devil's work...

• Options

When porridge I always have it with just soya milk, no milk no nothing else. 50g porridge oats and 200ml soy/almond milk.

• Options

Water. There is nothing else you need.

That said, I've always thought a kipper would go well in it but never tried.....

• Options

there was a great flapjack recipe on here a few years back that used orange juice and dried apricots to help hold it together.

• Options
    I use frozen fruit, blueberries make for an entertainingly purple porridge whereas strawberries and raspberries make it look like an explosion in a pre-pubescent girl's room.
  • Options
    Some lovely visions there!

Might have to try the rhubarb and ginger flapjack image
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I love flapjacks and also use frozen fruit if there's none fresh. I was talking to a friend today and she crumbles up a choccie biscuit in the hot porridge to give it a different taste and texture, that could be an idea?
  • Options

Use the dry skin from between your toes. It's the same consistency as oats. If you want some cheeese, just pick some off your...

• Options

i love porridge, either with golden syrup, honey or maple syrup

sometimes with choc spread in it , or fresh fruits

i make flap jacks, but use treacle instead of golden syrup and put chopped nuts in with brown sugar and choc chips  - mmm mmm  - i have  a sweet tooth

i often eat muesli for breakfast with natural yogurt and a spoon of choc spread or honey  - usually choc TBH  - and add blue berries , raspberries or strawberries , banana , or some fruit i have in house

i like maramite  - but seriously , with porridge? no

• Options
    Peter Everitt wrote (see)

Sugar is the devil's work...

i like this work image i might pass out without sugar , brush twice daily and floss image

• Options

cinnamon, raisin, peanut butter and banana, loads of diced apple image very sweet mind...

• Options

I've got a recipe somewhere (in the Narniaesque recesses of a kitchen cupboard) for a savoury oat bake which, if I remember correctly, has carrots, onions, peppers & garlic in it.
    Very tasty and fed me on many occasions when I was a poor student.
    Just let me get my headtorch and a rope and I'll see if I can find it.............

• Options

not dabbled too much with savoury, but you'll definitely have to have a good root..

I might be a convert haha

• Options

5oz oats
    4oz strong cheddar, grated
    2oz butter or marg, melted
    1 egg, beaten
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 red pepper, finely chopped
    2 carrots, grated
    Half a dozen mushrooms, sliced
    Tablespoon of tomato ketchup
    Salt & pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together.  Put in an oven dish, press down firmly.
    190° / gas 5 for 25 minutes.

Kept me going in the days before I was rescued from the Dark Side (vegetarian)

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

I have this most mornings unless my running mileage drops off for any reason. Favourite breakfast by far. No need for milk; it ends up pretty creamy anyway.

60g (ish) oats
    250mls water
    pinch of salt
    honey (sometimes maple syrup if available)
    cranberries
    walnuts
    raisins/currents
    ground flax seeds

• Options

finally got around to the eggs in oats again!

1 whole egg, 1/2 cup of oats, 250ml of milk, give it a good stir, then pop in microwave for 2mins give it a stir halfway through, top with whatever you like image kept me going till dinner.

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Honey, raisins and walnuts.

Crushed ginger nuts (no that's not a medical condition).

Maple syrup.

Frozen blackberries

Ginger and cinnamon

Coconut.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I love the idea of savoury flapjacks, so I've been in the kitchen experimenting - Pizza flapjacks! 

Recipe

I was pleasantly surprised - it wouldn't have made the blog otherwise! 

I should have had a look on this thread earlier - I didn't think to add mushrooms like in your recipe Nurse!

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

I like the look of the pizza recipe... but why would you put the melted mix on your head?

• Options

I like the courgette addition Sarah.  The great thing about these is you can just chuck in whatever you fancy (within reason!).