P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Living in Cardiff now 

• Ah. It's a small world. I work in Cardiff. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I'll be in a green and black porthcawl vest. Enjoy the weekend.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Thanks, yer_maj, and congratulations on your Paris time. I'll try to look out for you!

I have started carb-loading by having slightly more granola than usual with my breakfast stewed apple and yoghurt. Crazy stuff, I know.

• Congratulations yer maj, great margin on that PB

Off to Expo today, should be meeting NN, we're going to eat the place out of cake!

6 miles last night with 2 at MP, felt fine but left quad felt like it had run 24 miles, what's that about!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Cheers yer_maj and well done on your PB.

Lovely weather up here today. Not. Forecast for London on sunday is worryingly perfect at the moment. If that comes off we would have been pretty lucky when you consider how the weather has been...and set to get more unsettled from next monday too.

5 easy miles today, and I guess I need to start to carb load. Not going to eat that much more than usual today, will probably eat more tomorrow.

JF50 - don't worry about that quad - will be fine by sunday.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Morning all - started carb loading too ... 2 slices of toast instead of one and slightly more porridge for my 2nd breakfast at 10am. 200g of pasta for lunch (that's LOADs image) ... not sure I'll be able eat much more than that. Maybe some cereal for tea.

Fiona J wrote (see)

Chick - you may have a crap accent but fantastic english.

image   thanks, Fiona. It's what I do for a living - translating that is image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    It's still bloody winter here rain and cold..... Forecast looks good for Sunday almost tropical and 12c with no bloody wind image

Jf50 you will be fine by Sunday image don't go OTT with too much food difference. Between normal in take and what you need can be done tomorrow and Saturday.

Last few things to pack now image
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Chickadee - if meal sizes are a problem keep snacking instead...

• Chick - like Lit I assumed that you were a native English speaker living in Germany.  I'd never managed 200g of pasta I was planning 100g for tea tonight! 

Lit - I also pushed the boat out and had a slice of toast with my morning porridge. My favourite thing about carb loading will happen in about half an hour ... I'm going to have a chocolate muffin with my coffee imageimage Our canteen does these great warm double choc muffins with a coffee for £1.40 and I try very hard to resist the rest of the time.  Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yer Maj - that is a spectacular PB well done

• Mmmm chocolate muffins. I loves them!  

Force fed myself weetabix this morning (i hate it) and some flapjack for seconds. I have a French stick on me at all times this morning to snack on - its either a French stick or I'm very excited about this marathon malarkey! 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Might have to pull out - my pre-marathon haircut looks a bit sh!t.

• last "session" completed last night. Ran home from work. The plan was 3x 1mile reps with a warm up and cool down. I did the reps in 7:32, 7:38 and 7:42. Felt really tough. I felt heavy and bloated, and my legs felt like rock. There were some quite strong headwinds and it was warmer than it's been of late, so i'm not worrying too much that I've suddenly bonked.

Apart from the 12mile run on Sunday, all the remaining runs before Manchester are now a short, and at a fairly gentle pace, except for a couple of miles next week at marathon pace, which should hopefully feel fine.

Just need to keep myself ticking over for another 10 days.

Out of interest, what are your views on cross training during taper? I cycle to work (only 5 miles each way) and it's too busy to really get any decent speed up (40-odd sets of lights in 5 miles), so it's a fairly gentle exercise. What about swimming. Is it advisable to have a few additional sessions of cardio to maintain fitness, or shoudl I just allow my body to rest more?

• Let the carb loading commence!

Pizza Express (chicken pasta spotted on the menu) booked for Saturday lunch.

I want to write my name on my race number for crowd support. This is fine right? I was going to use a black marker to write AL in big letters on the top bit over where it says Virgin Money. Surely no official will have a problem with that? Please stop me if I'm being idiotic... 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ag - you should taper your cross training too - I wouldn't do too much extra. If you're legs are aching though you could swap a run for a swim.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Where's HeOw gone?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Thanks guys - I love this style of training and will be sticking with it from now on.

You all sound like you're ready to rock - enjoy the carbs.  I'm trying to cut back a bit as I'm having a few weeks off to let a niggle recover properly so can't stuff my face like I could over the past few weeks image

• By magic 15W, here I am!  

Is everyone getting nervous?  I hope so, if you aren't then you ain't trained hard enough!  I am shitting my kecks for youse!   Weather looks good for you all. 

NN - I am glad you have decided to do it, you will be fine on the day, I am sure.  I agree re Boston marathon tragedy has definitely made me reassess things with respect to getting a grip on doing X time etc.  I am a runner, I have put my everything into training, I did that more because I love to run and the icing on the cake will be a PB at Manchester.  If something went wrong on the day, nothing is lost, my training has made me a better runner, not the time I finish in.

Agent I swapped the intervals for a 6 miler with 4 at LT pace.  I truly cannot see what good they would do for me.  I did 6 miles, 2 easy 4 at 7:30m/m pace in howling gales.   I purposely went out because I am preparing myself for Manchester and surely, what will be, horrendous weather! image

Agent, do not add any extra activities in whatsoever next week - you will gain nothing.  I only ran 1 x 10k week before Chester, felt fresh as anything on the day of race.  

ON the subject of beetroot juice, I made a juice last night with two bulbs of raw beetroot, 2 raw carrots and 2 apples.  Did my run well, can't say I felt any different but bloody hell, my bath was like a jacuzzi.  So, beetroot makes me fart like Rab C Nesbit.  Won't be doing that in a hurry. 

• Nervous and excited HeOw, hope you're feeling good for yours in 10 days. Thanks for the windy reminder on the Beetroot juice, time for my shot.

Anyone, writing on race number? Safe to do or risk of DQ??

My favourite Smashing Pumpkins song just came on the radio and I had a private rock-out. Cherub Rock.

• Aww shiiiittttt Al, I had completely forgotten I was running a marafon in 10 days...  Thanks for the reminder! image  I am starting the penultimate phase of taper madness, wondering why the fuck I started training for one in the first place.  Ohhh Smashing Pumpkins...!  Never heard of em. image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Smashing Pumpkins remind me of being a moody teenager. I don't know about writing on the race number but I have (rather tragically) put my name on my club vest using iron-on letters.

I'm persevering with the carb-loading and have bought a sandwich for lunch instead of making a salad. But despite looking quite substantial, the nutritional info says it only has 30g of carbs in it! That's not going to get me very far round the course. Clearly this carb-loading thing is harder than it looks.

• Hi fellow P and D ers.

Good luck everyone!!

My Dad and Step Mum are over from Canada so not getting online much, went to the expo yesterday so number collected and now trying to think of things not to forget image

I hope everyone achieves what they wish for (and have worked so hard for).

BTW I am in pen 6. 

• For anybody that was interested I now have a number for Sunday. I can't for the life of me remember where the list was so I will just put it here for anybody planning on stalking.

HeOw - I think you need to do the beetroot thing for several days as it is a build up thing and not an immediate one.

Lit - now you know why I find carb loading difficult. I'm having baked spud and beans for lunch. It is my least favourite combo but has more carbs that cottage cheese which I love.

Pottermiss - hope you are having a great time with your family.

Al - can't see why there would be an issue.  They tell you to put a red dot on your number if you have blackouts.  But don't really know so don't hold me to it.

• Literatin - I often ponder putting my nickname "FANNY" on my vest.  

• Oh Fiona, tell me more.  Do I need to juice a couple of those bulbs of it or just one? 

• HeoW - I'm sure that would go down well with the spectators. image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Fanny HeOw now stop farting in the bathimage just wait till your pee turns pinkimage

All packed for my holiday now can't wait to get to the expo and that's where I start to get butterfly's image
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Iron your name onto your shirt al - Call yourslef Big Al or summat and the crowd will shout it out more. Fortunatley I have a comedy name of 'johnny' which was extremely popular last year. Really gives you a bit more bounce in your step.

I dont like carb loading - have managed 186 out of the 560 so far and have a sugar hedache already.

• HeOw - I don't really know, I just read about it somewhere and seem to recall that you should do it for several days.  I did just read somewhere else about those gels with the nitrates in and they said take 2 of them 5 days before. I think they may have had something to do with whatever company makes them.  But if they say that sort of time frame then I guess that is what to do.  As for how much to juice - haven't a clue.  I'm sticking with Cherry Active which I could drink all day.

• The brand on my vest is Gore and my name is Al. If I write it in the wrong place people may think I'm the former US Vice President and environmentalist.

• Men - so far I've stuck to the complex carb types (except the muffin) so the sugar high isn't such a problem.  I am trying to maintain my love of malt loaf, not extinguish it completely.

NP - are you going straight from London on your hols without going home first?  That must make it tricky to make sure you remember everything for running and hols - or is there an assistant to help with that?