The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - this week

Phil..  TMB are back in London this weekend at Shepherds Bush Empire with the Lamb show..   Friday and Saturday night.

I can't remember if you are going....    I'll be there on Saturday...  I'll buy you a beer if you are around...?

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

DV - Go to a gig the night before a marathon?  Do you think I'm quite mad?!  image No, I'm there tomorrow night, will be allowing myself precisely two beers - which I think at Shepherd's Bush means either Red Stripe or Guinness.  Maybe a lime and soda chaser.  Hmmm...

Hope I don't get home too late, but at least I can have a lie-in Saturday before finishing off the carb-load.

Enjoy the gig!

• You have a good one too..   and I hope the London marathon on Sunday is good for you   image

• First time I ever heard a swear word on a record was Lamb Lies Down on Broadway,cannot remeber which track but the word was Sh*t...image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

"Back in NYC". Track 1, side 2.

• Did you know that on Grand Parade there are something like 16 different vocal EQ changes...   to perform it live, the sound desk is pre-programmed with the EQ levels and as long as the song is performed at the right speed, the desk will automatically change the live vocal EQ at the right time to get the sound that you are familiar with on the record.  

I think Shepherds Bush has a 'no pyro' rule so when Rael throws the petrol bomb there won't be a explosion and neither will there be a pyro flash at the start of It.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Uh-oh.  I'm being out-nerderied by DV.  That's one of the tracks where Brian Eno gets a credit, isn't it. The last time I saw them do this (Fairfield Hall??) that was one of my stand-out tracks.  The drumming's absolutely ace.

I was watching a few docu-stylee clips on youtube not long ago where they were talking about some of the keyboard set-ups and guitar pedals they use, to get as authentic a sound as possible.  Attention to detail is pretty staggering.  I want a Mellotron!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hackett's doing a tour with Genesis tracks. 

Got a book by Armando Gallo. Genesis. Evolution of a rock band.

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

Hackett's doing a tour with Genesis tracks. 

Indeed he is..  and what a superb album he has produced...  once you get over the different vocals and actual listen to the detail of the songs, he has done an excellent job with them.  The drums and sounds of thr keys are particularly good.   I'm going to the Aylesbury show and the Royal Albert Hall show.   Very excited to be able to see Can-Utility played live again.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Genesis. Evolution of a rock band.

I always thought Genesis was more about Creationism.

• It is here...

It is tonight...    and tomorrow...  image

So many favourite parts of the show...  I particularly like the bright white lights at the end of The Waiting Room, the Lamia sequence and the speed of the keys on Rapids...

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Rapids?  Riding the Scree surely?!  I used to flip over my TDK AD90 on the Walkman when it got to a certain point on side 3, to listen to the keyboard solo again.  (I was such a cool teenager in the '80s, listening to '70s prog.)

• yes.. yes..   of course I mean the Scree...  image      well spotted!

• How was it last night..?   Was the band on good form..?    I'll be there tonight...

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Absolutely fantastic. Sort of predictably so, because I know how good they are, and yet there's always a track or two* that I hear in a different light after hearing them perform it.  Either the tracks were genuinely much better live the first time round or they've given them a bit of oomph somehow, hopefully the former because I know how they have such attention to detail.  is it me or has the lead singer's voice got better? I still think he struggles to sound completely Gabriel-like on the quieter stuff because he's simply missing that gruffness in his tone, but by and large he was absolutely spot on.  Great stage show as well.

Last night's (sometimes surprising) highlights:
    Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging.  The weird vocals, weird noises, absolutely brilliant drumming.
    It.  Those mad intricate twiddly parts that the keyboard/guitar play together - absolutely nailed! Much more powerful than studio version.
    The Waiting Room.  Wow! Thought this might be the weird bit where a few people go off for a toilet break, but it sounded incredible.  How the f*ck do you recreate such seemingly random but brilliant, scary, strange shit?!  image

{That's not even considering the more predictable favourites - Scree, In the Cage, Fly on a Windshield/Broadway Melody, The Lamia, Colony of Slippermen...)

I also rate Shepherd's Bush as a venue. Nice intimate stage setting and you can actually see what's going on.  A real "theatre" feel.

10/10.  Magic!

• Cor...........this thread took me back (Counting out Time perhaps) Had to get on to Spotify and play the whole lot.

Reminded me of sixth yr at school where we had an old record player with the head weighted down by an old threepenny bit sellotaped on. Once a record had been played on that it was not capable of working on another record player as the grooves got dug too deep.

Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Billion Dollar Babies  and Hunky Dory were three albums that got the treatment.

• The show on Saturday was the best gig I've ever been to..   they were perfect.  I couldn't fault it..   I had such a great night and the place was packed...  standing ovation and cheers went on and on...   that was an epic performance and I very much doubt Genesis themselves have ever played it better..

Jaw droppingly good...   

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The 'A Trick of the Tail' cassette is getting the once over again.

🙂

• I having a look through some stuff and found this, which will be of interest to you...  its the original hand-written lyrics by Peter Gabriel to Rapids and the recording desk track sheet for some songs on The Lamb album...   I'm pretty sure I've got more somewhere...  I think I've got the Cage and the Lamb track too...  I'll keep looking....

/members/images/98627/Gallery/374578_455888677823540_353703598_n.jpg