RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Carter - looks like you are sorted them. We must pull together a list of all the races that folk are doing for the rest of this year.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carl - sounds like a great run.  I feel fortunate to live both very near the sea and also Dartmoor.  I occasionally go out purposefully when it's blowing a gale or there is thunder & lightening in the air to run near the sea (when and where it's safe to do so obviously!) as it is somehow inspiring and refreshing - I always come back buzzing after those runs, even if it's only 3 or 4 miles.  I tend to leave the Garmin at home on those days too, or at the very least cover it up so I'm not checking paces etc and am just running for pleasure.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carter - We must pull together a list of all the races that folk are doing for the rest of this year. Indeed, lets keep this updated as I keep losing track of who is running when

July - Lake Coniston trail marathon - Carter

August - Long Tour of Bradwell (50k) - Carter

September - Ladybower 20 - Carter

October - Chester marathon - Carter

• Carter - as Oirish says, an Autumn marathon would be better but, as CD says, 6 weeks is perfectly doable, the key being that you treat the marathon as a LSR.

June - Wales Trail Marathon - Spoons

July - Lake Coniston trail marathon - Carter

August - Long Tour of Bradwell (50k) - Carter

September - Ladybower 20 - Carter

October - Chester marathon - Carter

• I soooo want to do another race...but am sticking to my guns and waiting a while yet...I will still be hanging around here though, cos I'm not losing touch with you guys till I've beaten Carter- I need witnesses!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Spoons - Chester is my 'A' race now. The other 3 will be,as you say, treated as LSRs. My training plan has now extended to October to include those races as such. Is the Wales marathon an undulating course or will you be looking for a PB ?

Rachel - are you definitely waiting til next year to do your next race then ?
  • Who knows Carter..I desperately need a goal to motivate me to run consistently, but am going to wait a bit till I'm sure my alopecia is resolving. Every week is better, and I have another derm. appointment in a few weeks, so we'll see what he has to say!

• I haven't thought much beyond Limerick on 5th May other than my postponed Larne HM which has now been rescheduled to 8th June and probably Dublin as an Autumn Mara.

We have an HM series over here which is basically a championship of10 HM's with best 6 times to count (3 races must be pre 30th June & 3 races must be post 30th June).... so I might give that a go.

Rachel - I'm like you ... I enjoy training much more if it has an end goal such as a race.

Oirish - great run from you... cracking pace on mile 9!!

Did my first taper week LSR of 14 miles tonight (swapped it from Sunday as I'm doing the Titanic 10k instead).... windy & showery all the way - ran last 4 @ MP and averaged 8.57 pace for the run.

Encouragingly, whilst my right knee has ben gradually improving, this was the first run that I didn't feel it either during or after... so touch wood I think it has sorted itself out image

• Carter - that's great and will build you a strong endurance base for Chester

Wales trail marathon will not be quick. It's all offroad running round Snowdon national park. I hear many of the inclines are walk only steep....

Good news re the knee Ricky

• Oirish - very sorry to hear about your difficult times.

Thanks to you and to everyone else for the advice head of VLM on Sunday.

I have decided to aim for 3:50 but if I don't make it, not the end of the world and will be happy to just get round on my first marathon. My running number is 38897 in case any of you are watching. Its a canary yellow 'Dog's Trust'  vest I will be wearing, the charity I am running for. The chest infection is 80% gone and still 36 hrs and a few more antibiotics to take so hopefully will be okay. Did a 5 k on Wednesday and Thursday and felt okay on each day. resting up now.

Thanks again to all and I will of course let you know how it goes

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Go on Bruno. Best of luck !
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Bruno - best of luck on Sunday. First marathon. Enjoy the experience. Let the crowd on the embankment carry you home.
  • Fantastic Bruno - very exciting image ..... will keep an eye out for you & keep tabs on your progress with the tracking app!

Best of luck, enjoy.

Looking forward to the race report!!

• 4 miler tonight to assess race pace for my inaugral 10k on Sunday... first two miles were uphill & splits were:

8.06; 8.01; 7.06; 7.10

I am thinking 7.20/7.30 pace will be about right.... so I guess I am looking at about 46/47 mins... whatever it is it will be a PB (as long as I finish that is!)

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Have been down in west Kerry for the last 2 days and despite having 3G Internet connection could not get it to open these pages.

Back at my mother in laws house now and it is a little better. Must install a wifi connection he in the summer.

Some great advice on these pages in the last 2 days.

Carter - Dave is right. It is possible to do enough in 6 weeks as you have built a really solid base with some great training. But I am more in the Spoons camp of building it up slowly and therefore would focus on the Autumn marathon. I see that you are lined for for Chester with the other races more as training runs. I suspect that if you are standing on the start line of Lake Coniston (I think this is what you are doing but cannot check back as it will take another 20 mins) that you will be tempted to race it. Avoid that temptation unless your body is telling you hat it can do it.

Ricky - hard to believe that you are in your taper and you are about to race a 10k. As you say it will be a PB come what may and if you manage those paces you are a superstar.

Oirish - about 3 weeks for you to your race. You have had a really tough few weeks of it. What are your plans for your taper. Clearly running will be a bit of a release for you this next week or two .

Somebody asked me today if I was running London on Sunday. That got me thinking that running 2 marathons in the space of a few weeks would be a great little challenge. Might have to put this into my long term plan.

Got out tonight after the showers. Ended up doing a progressive 5 miler with the first mile all up hill. Really enjoyed the run. The hills, the country roads, the harbour with the wind blowing nicely and carrying the sea air with it.

First mile completed in 8 mins and the fifth mile in 7:13 min with an overall average of 7:33.

Probably tougher than I am supposed to do during recovery but it felt good. Will run again on Sunday back in London and then ease into a 10k training plan during next week.
  • Carl - re: running marathons close together, my experience is that if you treat them as LSRs that's fine. I ran 4 marathons in 4 days in 2011 and people do the 10 in 10 challenge up in the lakes. If you try and race them, very few people have success and those that do often seem to have a massively long recovery period after the 2nd and often pick up injuries.....

That said, someone on the sub 3:30 thread ran 3 x 3:30 marathons in 3 weeks last year. Although I suspect he was capable of runnng 1 x 3:15....

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Carl - my intention gas never been to race Lake Coniston. Having seen the course profile most of the first 15 miles are uphill so there won't be any PB hunting. I spoke to a chap on another thread who has run it before and he said that the course is about 45/60 minutes slower than a flat road marathon. There is a half on the same day so that is always an option too.

Running 2 marathons close together sounds like a challenge too. Have you got any idea of when and where ?

Ricky - have a great race on Sunday. You knocked 2 miles out @ 7 minute pace in your last run, do you think you could hang on for 6 miles at that pace for a 43ish minute time ?

Spoons - are you still going to spectate at VLM tomorrow ?

It's a lovely day up here today, perfect for a run. My race number for Manchester has just arrived...
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    The two marathons together is just an idea at the moment. Must not be running enough to be thinking such mad thoughts. I think my primary goal is to get sub 3:30 and if I can find the right two marathons along the way that could act as really good training runs then I might just slip them in. This is probably a next year activity and will depend on which spring marathon I do.
  • Not going to London now. Will do an early run, then come back and watch it on TV whilst tracking runners online. Much easier and I'll see more!

• Bruno - Best of luck tomorrow, like Spoons I will be at home tracking your progress with interest and looking forward to hearing all about it.

Ricky - Same for you, good luck tomorrow 46 mins is very doable for you.

Carl - Of out early tomorrow for my final 22 mile LSR. Going to take it nice and easy, my training has been pants this week so I think time on my feet is the order of the day. After that it is a 3 week taper which is when the madness comes so I believe image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Oirish - I think the madness comes well before the taper but we are too exhausted to articulate it.

Best of luck with your 22 miler tomorrow. I think I might do 6 or 7.
  • Carter - hang on for a 43min 10k?? not a chance ... if I can go out at 7.20 pace and hang on that'll be my limit I reckon!

Bruno - best of luck & enjoy.

Handy link for tracking tomorrow:

http://results-2013.virginlondonmarathon.com/2013/

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So tomorrow from here at the VLM we have :

Bruno  - 38897

and from the other thread most of us drop in on (Rachel's) we have :

Will - 47136

Cheerful Dave - 821

and of course Ricky is running his first official 10k.

Good luck to everyone. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Its going to be a warm one today.

Go Go Go .......... imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• And they're off! Go Dave, Bruno & Will!

What a cracking day for it.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    This page is taking ages to load. Any news of our runners ?
  • Dave thru halfway in 1:18.18

• Will thru 15 k in 1:23.38

Bruno thru 15k in 1:19.23

• Will thru halfway in 1:58.26

Bruno thru halfway in 1:52.25

Might be last from me until later - off out to my 10k soon.