Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Mrs RR cut back on the booze about 12 months ago and I now get grief for drinking in the house on a Friday and Saturday night but we don't go out with 2 young children and no one to babysit. Don't tend to drink during the week or on a Sunday night unless I'm at the match and nowhere near what we used to consume.

I did 13 miles on Tuesday and that was my last double-figure run, did 6.5 this morning, same again tomorrow then 6 on Saturday. Going to enjoy a few drinks Fri/Sat night and a couple of rest days plus the match and a pre-match pint on Monday.

Same as Jedwards next week, 3 short runs Mon, Wed, Thurs then Fri/Sat as rest and carb loading days, lots of sleep and no booze. I have got a couple of bottles of beer saved from Christmas as they're special, v.strong real ales and I'm hoping to savour them post race, at home on the Sunday afternoon, while watching United seal the title at the Emirates on SKY

Still no number though the road closure signs are multiplying

GP - I came across Geordie Shores the other night while watching late night TV , v scary! Have had some great nights out in Leeds though and you can't beat Manchester's Northern Quarter

Sally - Try the 9 minutes, I've been hovering 20- 30 seconds above that in training and I think I'm going to try and keep up with the 9 minute pacer on the day and see how it goes but like RP says, just looking forward to the buzz of crossing the line and the sense of achievement that goes with it

Have stuck religiously to the training programme from January through to this week so I can't complain for lack of effort

There's some pretty serious runners on this forum who I doubt I'll see for dust on the day

Interested to see whether any local or other celebs are running, Steve Coogan ran it last year

• ha ha RR....ex drinkers are nearly as bad as ex smokers!image.

I get miffed when I see the other half sinking ice cold beer on a Friday night, especially when he tells me how much he is enjoying it!   Re celebs....Haven't heard of any.  I did see that bloke from Emmerdale (Tony Audenshawe) and he was grinning like mad, seemed a right happy sort, despite the weather! He is a really decent runner I think.  Not sure if he is doing it this year as I saw he is going for a good time in London.

Ha Auntie...Maybe we should just run the relay to make sure we get to run some of the marathon!

Ha Molly...I just assumed you name was, well....Molly! I will look out for you.  I don't know how you can comprehend shopping afterwards.  Mind you, I can't abide the Trafford Centre at the best of times!

Welcome Jim...hope you get the time you want.  You never know, it could go your way, a nice fast course...just need decent weather, like you say.

Panda

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Tea and cake plod - well a slowish run with friends and lots of cake afterwards! 

I also seem to have inadvertently cut out the booze and am desperate for a good night out!  Off to see Alan Davies at some Arts Festival down here, then tapas afterwards, and I'm driving, which I would never normally do - rather stay in!!! So, not sure how I'll get on with everyone getting slowly drunk around me!!  I sound like a lush - not really, the drinking days are long behind me but I do enjoy a good night out now and again - suppose it's called binge drinking but I reckon I'm too old for that!!!

Reckon I might sign up for another marathon (can't believe I said that, before I've even done this one!!) - and it has meant I can eat my heart out whilst everyone at work is on a diet!!

RR - think I'm going to try and find the 4 hour pacer too and lurk somewhere near them if I can - might see you!!!  Mainly I want to finish the race without collapsing and getting jelly legs though!!  I also have stuck religiously to the plan with (touch wood) no injuries, colds etc - oh god, I probably spoke too soon.

Can't decide between a vest or a short sleeved top (important decision), depends on the weather, but neither will have my name on.

• Hi good to read all the posts,going to plan about 3 more runs prob no more than 10 mile for each then rest up,no beer,just eat plenty of pasta. Not sure how many days before to completely stop so that i Will b fully recovered,but finish work on Tuesday so can completely chill out.
  • RR - well done for sticking to your training plan and I hope you do the time you want

Jim - fingers crossed you'll do sub 3.20. I full agree -  I hate wind.

RP - I don't want to go shopping after but I've promised my daughter (silly idea), can you imagine trying to avoid people when you've got dead legs. Mind you if i don't get changed and washed after, they'll all be avoiding me image

I haven't got the number BUT I've got the P&D book - so that's my bedroom read for tonight. Too late for Manchester but I'll try and get some go-faster vibes off it!

• Redpanda wrote (see)

Ha Molly...I just assumed you name was, well....Molly! I 

Guess it wouldn't work though?  Half-Marathon Heidi?image

• I can only think of horrible words that start with H: like "hefty" (who would ever guess I had a weight complex?) so I chose Molly because it ryhmes with "jolly"

• I like your thinking!image

• Hi have everyones race packs arrived? I'm still waiting..its adding to the nerves

• Got mine about a week ago,nerves still kicking in though. If u go on greater Manchester wesite their is a number u can phone to ask them,I had heard the last batch were being sent out this week. Hope that helps mate.
  • Oh dear, I was hoping mine would have turned up by now then. I will give them a call tomorrow.

• HI not got my number yet neither, but the email sent with the marathon booklet, said the last batch of numbers was to be sent out on the 15th and to contact them if it doesnt arrive by the 22nd. Theres an  link on the booklet e-mail.

• RP. Tony is doing London, he is one of my running mates from Stockport Harriers, don't want to tempt fate but he should do a good time

Did my first run since Boston my legs are still a little sore but will be fine for Manchester.

I'm pacing a few from the club sub 3 , so if any of you want to tag along feel free, look out for yellow Stockport vests.

Sounds like your all fit and ready to go
  • cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    Whoah, forum has taken off! Still no number for me either j5mm. Kind of feel safety in numbers at the mo. if its not here by Monday I'll be giving them a ring.

11 miles for me tomorrow. Three runs next week and lots of rest. Starting to feel lots of twinges and am getting paranoid!

Can't wait for next weekend, just heard my uncle and auntie who live in Urmston and who I only see about every two years are coming out to watch and shout me on. Well chuffed!
  • jonah, you were is Boston? Jeez, take it you weren't badly caught up in the carnage then?

7m GA today with 8x100 strides.  Last decent run tomorrow and then all 6 mile or less runs.

• Wouldn't want to speak too soon but right now that's not looking so bad. A bit windier than I'd like but nothing like last year. Of course there is plenty of time for it to change - but last year I got obsessed with the weather forecast with around this long to go and it proved horribly accurate.

• The race pack says that if my race number hasn't arrived by Monday 22nd to give them a call. Does anyone know what their plan is? Courier it? Recorded delivery? I have had bad experiences trying to track down recorded deliveries as they seem to struggle with the idea that you work for a living and will not be at home to sign for a parcel when they call.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    No number for me yet either image

I'm getting a bit concerned too, Ginger as I live on Isle of Man and the post can take a bit longer to get here sometimes.

And I concur with what some of you have said about feeling sluggish/achey/heavy legged during taper....I'm not feeling the slightest bit 'fresh', despite the additional rest and the reduced mileage. Hope it's all in my head.
  • cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

11 miles done this morning. 5 miles at marathon pace. Last double figure run for me. Felt really good and comfortable. Weather was quite mild and a bit damp. At one point the sun came out and I thought 'It would be so nice to have a bit of sunshine on my back while running'!

AG, not sure what their plans are for no show numbers. Lots of people havent got them yet so not going to panic just yet. If it's not here by Monday I think I would prefer to pick it up on the day rather than worry about if the postman is going to deliver on time.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm off to watch my 11 year old in a football cup semifinal tomorrow ...... I must control myself!

• My number's come this morning, yeahhhimage

• Shazmo wrote (see)
    No number for me yet either image
    I'm getting a bit concerned too, Ginger as I live on Isle of Man and the post can take a bit longer to get here sometimes.

And I concur with what some of you have said about feeling sluggish/achey/heavy legged during taper....I'm not feeling the slightest bit 'fresh', despite the additional rest and the reduced mileage. Hope it's all in my head.

I don't think it is in your head.  I've definitely felt more "leggy" and niggly during taper than at any point during training.  it's the body readjusting but i'm sure come the day, it will have righted itself and we'll be in tip-top shape for it.  That's the whole idea behind the taper, right?

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Was just thinking this morning that my legs feel more achey than they've done over the last few months!

Oh very nervous. Everytime I think about it the butterflies start.  Excited too though...

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm sure you're right SB and it will all come good on the day. This is the worst I've felt during all of my training too and so puffed out on my 'easy' run last night. But if I remember rightly, I was the same last year in the run up to the race, but was fine on the day.

Quite a few of my friends are leaving the island for London today - so excited for them

Molly - I'm well jell about you getting your number....

Last year they posted an entrants list on the website, showing everyone's number...hope they do the same this time....
  • SB- I managed to get under 3 hours so I was holed up in a bar about 1ooyards away on another block .

I didn't hear the bombs going off but got caught up in all the aftermath near by.

It's a shame because it's the best marathon I've ever ran in, the locals love you to bits and are very proud of the event.

• Taking comfort from previous few posts, I'm not alone in feeling more niggles on shorter runs and less mileage than I was running 18-20 mile runs, that makes me feel a little better about things. There is an underlying cold that is trying to break through and might have to have a visit from Dr Crabbie and Dr Mack if it persists

One thing I am enjoying about the taper is the shorter runs, really enjoyed my 6.5 miles this morning, might also have something to do with having to wear fewer layers and doing the run in mainly daylight

I am thinking that I perhaps should have chopped and changed my plans for the last couple of weeks so my bigger runs fell at the weekend. I did my last big run on Tuesday so it will have been 10 days or so when the race comes as opposed to a week for most people. Also debating which days to have as rest days next week but think running Mon,Tue and Wed and then having 3 days off might be a bit too much

Starting to flit between nerves and excitement, I always find those first couple of miles quite hard going but I think once I'm heading down the A56 from Stretford toward Sale, I should settle into my rhythm

Was going to use the relay points as a mental way of breaking up the race but I don't think they are 4 equal portions

• jonah8 wrote (see)

SB- I managed to get under 3 hours so I was holed up in a bar about 1ooyards away on another block .

I didn't hear the bombs going off but got caught up in all the aftermath near by.

It's a shame because it's the best marathon I've ever ran in, the locals love you to bits and are very proud of the event.

Christ, that's all pretty sovering stuff mate.  Obviously it goes without saying that i'm glad you weren't directly affected but still must have been a harrowing experience to have been in any way caught up in that.  Such a pity that there are people in the world so willing to commit acts of total indiscriminate slaughter in this manner.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Rocky, for a Sunday race, I usually have my last run on the preceding Thursday, giving me a whole two days off.

Just had a mini heart attack - opened an email saying that because I live 'overseas' my number isn't being posted out and I have to collect on the day!! Collection on the day is a major ball ache for me. I gave them a quick call and thankfully they agreed to post it out to me today...should be here tomorrow or Monday image Getting excited now image
  • Awesome,well I have just done a 5 half mile run,will do 10 on Sunday after watching the London marathon AMD a couple small runs mid week and that should do and hopefully b ready for my first marathon in my home city image