Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Ten that calculator gives me 4:12:59 from 1:51;31, whereas my half time was 1:54ish when I got sub 4?

Mike I like your style.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

In the email they say that if a woman and a man run 90 minutes for a half, then the woman will beat the man by nearly four minutes in the marathon, and the difference gets bigger as the pace reduces.

Perhaps they should have a male/female version of the calculation?

The bad news for me is that to get to 3:45, I would need a HM time of 1:40:29.  I suspect that this will probably be true image  It won't stop me trying, though.

• Ten - put my HM race time in from last year (5 weeks before Abo marathon) of 1:44:30 and it predicted 3:55 and my time at Abo was 4:05 - feels about right and is what i am aiming at later this year (after boosting my endurance)

• Oscarr I reckon your endurance will be through the roof, and will translate well this autumn.

Cheers Ten that's interesting.

• Wow, what a fantastic LSR run this morning - really liberating and exciting - 3.75 hrs of dreaming in a crisp, clear blue sky, sunny morning - out the door at 8:30 (unheard of for me)

21 miles in 3:46 @10:48 HRav 69% including six 5 min walk breaks after each 25 min running - running pace 10:22.  Very comfortable.  Gradually increasing the pace keeping HR well inside zone 2 and it seems to be working well.

Sleepy - have reviewed where i am now and what's left on the schedule and how i feel and have decided to do the following;

week 8 - cutback week after the previous 3 week buildup of 58/64/62 mpw

week 9 - heavy week with 7.5hr B2B

week 10 - cutback week to prepare for CW and travel up there

week 11 - heavy week at CW with "run all the way" marathon at end of week

week 12 - cutback week to travel back from CW and other activities

week 13 - heavy week with 9hr B2B

weeks 14/15/16 - taper

Reckon that's a good balance of doing the long runs while giving my body chance to adapt and hopefully leaving me still fresh for The Wall.

• Oh, forgot to mention that i still have the 3 hr LSR (with last hour at MP) to do tomorrow morning to finish week 7. Daren't watch VLM cos i will get tempted to enter the ballot !!

• LOL

reiki I drop 0.5mph when I find the pace too fast and see how it feels then.  In theory as long as my HR is 150-170 I'm getting a speedwork benefit. (80 - 90%).

oscarr  - looks good to me.  I'm doing more than the programme on the wall but slightly less than you due to jog/walking on HR but I think it'll be ok.  I think we have a pretty good mix of endurance speed and pure endurance training.

Oh pants forgot to try Ten's calculator - back soon...

• Here I am...

I put in my 1:45:01 half from when I was training properly and it said 3:56:25 but I ran 3:49:06 that year so I think it's either the male/female thingy or underselling itself.  I find all calculators a bit different but great for giving you a guideline for training - no one can ever know what will happen on the day me thinks... image

I shall persevere with my 3:36 paces until I run said beast - or get banned with my zimmer frame - not sure which one will happen first but I can but try! image

• Oh right SB I forgot about your mph thing, brain is mashed!

• Just left the expo and on leaving I saw a lady wearing a Boston jacket...it was Rosie, after hugs it was great to catch up she is still shaken up seeing the immediate aftermath. We will salute all those at Boston tomorrow
  • Sleepy - agree very much - i think both our training is going well and i am sure we will have similar fitness at The Wall at a level which will mean we will definately enjoy it, in particular the last few miles on Sunday.  

Remember that with your age gain on me i need to train that bit harder to keep up with you imageimage

• I too tried the Fetch calculator:

Most recent 1/2: 1:30:14

Calculator result: 3:21:8

Actual (Boston) 3:21:09

How spooky is that?

• Very!

It's way out for my brother as well though.

• Kick that ass, Reiki!  Knock em out Choisty!  Good luck to both of you.

• Go go guys looks like a great day to run cool and calm, have a fantastic day and leave it all out there, look forward to reading those race reports......all the best.
  • Just rolling out my feet ready to go. Have plastered knee in tiger balm & woodlock.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Rosie was interviewed in her Boston top.

I ran five miles early this morning, all below my recovery heart rate.  Made for a slow run up the hills, but I could have a bit of a blast coming down again.  Beautiful day.

• Sleepy - my endurance certainly seems to be improving - after yesterday's 3.75 hr LSR i did another 3 hrs this morning with stats;

- first 2 hrs - 10.9 miles in 2:00 hrs @ 11:00 HRav 68% - incl 4x5min walks

- last 1 hr @MP - 6.83 miles in 60 mins @ 8:48 (target 9:00) HRav 79% - no walks

The last hour at MP was great and it felt great to open the legs up a bit.  No ill effects at the finish and i feel relaxed at home now.

62 miles for the week - now for a cut-back week - yipeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sleepy - a comment on your training paces for MP based on your 10k time - i set my training paces on what i know i can achieve at the distance or what i feel is a reasonable target - this means that my 5k/10k/half paces are based on proven best possible times in races with my marathon pace based on my target pace of a 3:56 marathon vs my PB of 4:05 cos i know i can run most of the way in a race at 3:56 pace (and one day maybe i can keep going to the end at that pace) - if i were to set my MP training pace based on my 5k/10k/half times it would be too fast for me.  Just some food for thought.

• Reiki kicked ass big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! imageimageimageimageimage

• Hey oscarr - I know what you mean but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway - Last month the lesser paced 3 mile MP session felt just as bad and was much easier the following week.  I won't be targetting a marathon til 2014 (Kielder is the plan) so I'm keeping one eye on the MF paces as being where I want to end up.  If they feel too hard on any given day at this stage I'll just drop em a bit and aim to build towards them.  My 3:49 was a very comfortable experience from memory so I think I probably could go a bit quicker... guess we'll find out (at some point) image

This raises the whole dilemma that I have with the Target 26.2 thingy - the training is very pace orientated vs heart rate based and whilst it does work - I think it'd probably injure/kill me personally.  It's no surprise to me when the superstars that get thru get ill along the way. 

Just been out and done 2h 45 (was meant to be 3hr but miscalculated) of offroad plodding.  Really wasn't in the mood today but enjoyed being out in the fields more than I would've staying on the road.

She did indeed - can't wait to hear the full story imageimageimage

• Was there a three in the time? What about Lee?
  • Sorry for teh delay guys, was dying to talk to you, but pesky laptop and phoen wouldn't let me get to this page for ages. 

I felt you out there today and god it was tough.

The wheels came off for a mile @17, and I then had cramp for two miles, had to dig really deep not to freak, way overran for 26.8 in 3:57:28!

Have to be happy with that, it worked out 8:52 average but the crampy miles meant I needed a few storming classics to balance them out, or er maybe cause them, eh?

WIll give you a full breakdown mile by mile soon, maybe tomorrow realistically I;m sure the crash is coming!

• Excellent congrats RR.

Did I see Rosie on the highlights show on the BBC I think I did! Well done all great viewing......
  • I had another epic saga, for which the basic stats are :    3:57:28 for 26.80, average 08:52:00 / mile, average HR + 159.    It was murder getting out of Pen 5 on Blue, even though I went to near the front of the Pen, so it wasn't til after the largely downhill mile 3 that I was averaging 9 min miles even.    I did keep calm, head up, was very conscious of doing that throughout actually, and of not sitting in the bucket at all, light steps, great cadence, knee niggle from mile 5 remained but did not progress or affect stride, I hit halfway in exactly 1:58:00, what's not to like?   Even the Isle of Dogs seemed easier than before, and then came the 17 mile marker and the wheels came off, or so it felt, although mile times still scrape under 9 for those couple of miles that felt hard.   I battled through and hit a patch of awesomeness from mile19 which saw a surge in pace, and indeed ths may have caused the next issue - my first ever calf cramp, tuggy pully thing that lasted for 2 miles, and for which I effectively used EFT and kept running through as it eased, but slowed a lot before picking up with around 4 to go [the way I run it!].    Between 25 and 26 I thought I was going to have to stop for the loo [another first, and slowed after a fun fast mile piling through the field].   Disaster averted, I went on to finish strongly despite them moving that control cord to thwart me just at the wrong moment in the last 800, still got to be happy with the overall result on the day.    Related issue = I had decided [and had to repin the gels to my tights] to go with 5 x ZipVits, a caffeinat one at ed one at halfway, and otherwise at 5, 10, 17, 21, with a small accel protein/carb [aha!] one for emergencies [turned out to be @ 24]   I did try to keep with the blue line, and was often right on it, but sometimes nowhere near it, and trying to dodge carnage of bottles etc.  Got hit with just one almost empty bottle this year, and the weather suited me well enough.    Was overtaken by the 3:45 pacers at 8.4, 9.5 and 9.7 miles, and one of the 3:56ers jumped out from peeing on the IofD to shoot across me and sprint ahead, only for me to overtake him a mile later, and he finished well after me.   Had a blast out there as always, and can't wait for York now, I would like to see how I do when I can run to my own dictates and hopefully less far.     I got sub 4 with no nausea or despair, which means it was easier, and I felt I could have had a bit more without the cramp and/or with a less congested start, I felt energetic afterwards.    Mile Splits [all rounded up] :    09:27 08:49 08:33 08:41 08:51 08:59 08:51 08:46 08:54 09:00 08:57 08:56 08:49 08:48  08:57  08:33 08:56 08:33 08:57 08:31 09:10 09:10 09:04  08:43 08:14 09:06 0.8 @ 8:38 pace       That's all for now.          
  • I had another epic saga, for which the basic stats are :    3:57:28 for 26.80, average 08:52:00 / mile, average HR + 159.    It was murder getting out of Pen 5 on Blue, even though I went to near the front of the Pen, so it wasn't til after the largely downhill mile 3 that I was averaging 9 min miles even.    I did keep calm, head up, was very conscious of doing that throughout actually, and of not sitting in the bucket at all, light steps, great cadence, knee niggle from mile 5 remained but did not progress or affect stride, I hit halfway in exactly 1:58:00, what's not to like?   Even the Isle of Dogs seemed easier than before, and then came the 17 mile marker and the wheels came off, or so it felt, although mile times still scrape under 9 for those couple of miles that felt hard.    
  • Apologies for the above mess, the blue line never went across first time so I thought I'd better start copying and putting in less per post...but no, it had taken all along.

• That was hard today 2:48 and the heat meant no epic time but more than happy now sipping champagne with a smile on my face. I promise a report tomorrow. But in general great to halfway in 1:18:36 good to 20 in 2:03:06 then tummy troubles (too much lucozade) and cramping calves from 24 slowed me rather. In all I gave it my best and I am happy with the result.

Congrats RR that is fantastic running
  • Cramping calves and gut rot, but still a very worthy performance on the day.  Even my seasoned brother ended up walking 2 miles and went over the 3. 

So the winners are?  If anyone has any mental capacity please work it out, I am feeling dazed and confused [that's caffeine for you].