Tramadol

Does anybody have any experience with taking Tramadol or any other strong pain killer before or during a marathon? Good or bad experiences. Thanks, Wayne

Comments

• Didn't you ask this same question recently?

If it wasn't you someone else did - everyone said it made them throw up. image

• No not me, any idea how long back? ill see if I can find it the thread.
  • A couple of months ago I think.

I'd say use the search function, but that never works on RW...

• It's a funny drug. I took it for back pain and I felt completely away with the fairies. It is highly unlikely to be a performance enhancer.
  • its pretty heavy duty - i had it post op  for pain relief, i could barely walk straight (not from the surgery lol) , it kind of felt like being tipsy , but not in the fun way, and i still ached , so not fun at all , but i wasn't on it long term and am a bit light weight with meds , paracetamol does me fine

gah! if you need tramadol to run, i would re-think running plans ! its script only , surely whatever it was  prescribed for would contraindicate running such distances?

• Wayne.. I am running London this weekend  and was perscribed Tramadol by doc for a niggle... I was completely fine when I ran using it (trying it out) bit spaced out when I stopped running. Hopefully will not have to use it on Sunday!

• Strong painkiller, are you going to take 100 mg before the race? the maximum you can have is 600mg per day
  • Fenn wrote (see)

Wayne.. I am running London this weekend  and was perscribed Tramadol by doc for a niggle... I was completely fine when I ran using it (trying it out) bit spaced out when I stopped running. Hopefully will not have to use it on Sunday!

what kind of niggle prompted treadol?!

• After my 20miler (3weeks ago)...had a bruised inner arch on right foot. (No brusing or swelling, its just best way to describe pain). The brusing senstation/pain went after three days and since then feel no pain when walking. I can only feel it when i run, doesnt affect pace and isn't painful...just know something is not right!

Have been to a pyshio, and had 2 sports massages and docs,,, no definate answers other than its nothing wrong with my foot and likely to be tight calfs muscles which are now loose. So fingers crossed for no pain on Sunday. Prepared to drop out if needs be, but havent enjoyed the training so don't want to defer...going to stick to half marathons from now on.
  • I am no expert but I would not recommend taking any opioid based medications before running. Pain is an essential neurological function to modify a persons behaviour away from engaging in potential activities which may cause or exacerbate further injury. By taking the medication it maybe possible to increase tolerance to pain enabling you to cause significant and lasting injury which may have previously been avoided.

I recommend avoiding the use of analgesics whilst running. Some persons highly recommend using NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.) but these have been reported to have an adverse effect on kidney function, which can lead to significant impairment in endurance atheletes. It appears that trying to identify the root source of the pain by examining running style, gait and form, maybe more beneficial in the long term.

• I have been prescribed Tramadol in the past and after 1 dose I refused to take anymore. It made me spaced out with halucinations, I had hot and cold sweats, severe shivering and vomiting among other things..... And this lasted for about 18hrs after taking them.

It was the most horrednous experience ever and I would seriously suggest you DO NOT take them before running a marathon.

• Yes- vomiting is common, and I suspect that there is a real risk of side effects being worse during a marathon.

+1 for the warnings about ibuprofen- stick with paracetamol until after the race.

• I used trams for a 6k (id just done the 3 peaks challenge so was in pain) literally 15 metres from finish was throwing up. If you use trams to increase endurance you need to make sure 1, You are getting enough sleep, trams will mess your head up when it comes to sleep patterns, 2. water lots of water, they dehydrate you. Just realised im. 7 years late in replying lol