P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Getting to blackheath seems more difficult than Greenwich. Can you walk from Greenwich to blackheath?

Also number 9064. Blue start - bumped up to pen 1 by my sweet talking welsh accent. Landed! Yes!
  • Mark, yeah travelling on my own but to be honest I think I might be happiest that way. Head down, focus, maybe chat to some other runners. Maybe see you if you're on the tube or the 8.10 London Bridge to Blackheath!

Don't forget we all get free travel by showing race numbers.

• Yeah I understand Al, might see you tomorrow then!

Chris, have you got your strategy sorted for tomorrow?
  • Still undecided whether to overground to blackheath. Or underground to Greenwich and then walk to blackheath through the park. Any advice? I'll be coming from shad well.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ok NP - I am 32957 - will be light blue tshirt. I'll look out for you in your red fetch vest.

• 29569, starting from pen 2 at green. Will be in a white and blue charity vest with my name - Rob - on.. Aiming to start at 6 40 pace and see where I go from there.

Am staying overnight at my brother's in Wandsworth. Planning to get the tube from Toting bec to London Bridge then to Maze Hill. Annoyingly Sw trains don't support the marathon so I will need to buy a ticket for the journey home.
  • Chris,

From memory it isn't that far from Blackheath to Greenwich. But does mean walking up a hill. You should be able to get a train from London Bridge to Greenwich.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Good morning. Anyone else got that pre-marathon feeling of sheer, naked terror?

yeah, totally! Been to the loo 4 times already image. Going for a 2 mile slow jog in a mo. Just to remind me that I can still run ....

• Ran a slow 3 miles this morning, had porridge and crumpets since getting home.  Had a dog incident, first for ages, alsation that some guy decides doesn't need to be on a lead, and he tells me to stand still mate!  I can see on Garmin Connect exactly when it happened, pace stop and heartbeat  shot up!

Heading down to London at about lunch time.

Good luck to everybody and thanks for the great thread and advice

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    On train. Nerves getting the better of me. Have had 3 poos already!

What is best time to arrive at Greenwich park?
  • Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭

Not only do SW Trains not support the marathon, they have also helpfully decided to carry out various engineering works tomorrow, affecting routes into Waterloo. Thanks guys!

Good luck to everyone who is running tomorrow. Maybe see some of you there. I am 29205, pen 5 at green start.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I just tried out the improved marathon time calculation on Fetch and I'm stunned by the results!  Check this out:

This year I ran 1:50:04 at Silverstone, which has predicted marathon time of 4:09:16 while other calculators all predicted somewhere around 3:57:00. I finished Brighton Marathon last week in 4:09:29.

Last year my half time was 2:01:34, from which was predicted a 4:39:04 marathon. I finished in 4:38:54.

Could be a very useful resource!  It's on fetch here

Would love to know how well it works for you guys, because I'm blown away by the accuracy compared to all other methods.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Have now had my last pre-marathon run (4 miles with a friend of my sister's who knows the area) and also shaved my legs, so I am marathon ready!

NP, my goal times are all very close together: a: 3:10 (this is the pace I'll aim for from the start), b: 3:15 (my actual goal), c. 3:20. Apparently my club have all been taking bets on my performance in the pub, grr.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

haha lit, same here. Just shaved my legs too image

4 miles! Wow. I did 4k ...  and I found that plenty. It's 10 degrees and it felt rather warm image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ten, I clicked on that against my better judgment (do I want to know Fetch thinks I'll be slower than I'm planning???) but it's okay, because it came out as 3:15:14, which is around what I'm aiming for. So I won't have to kill you.

Chick, my race shorts provide so little coverage I should probably have had a bikini wax as well. image

Fiona, I have finally got through all that extra cake! Was lovely to meet you and your husband and I'll look out for him at mile 6!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Just got out of expo. Packed in there. They didn't have my pack either so took a bit of time sorting that out. On way to Greenwich now. Lovely day.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Lit, chest and legs shaved hereimage

No run today just a walk up the Mall st James park is packed.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Lit - maybe I should have left it until after the race, sorry about that.  Should give you extra confidence, though, and women do better than men based on half marathon results.  Rest assured I'll be checking out your race pics!!! image All coverage and photo's will be in HD so I'll let you know if you missed anything image

NP - I won't be checking out yours! image

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed you all at the excel. Thanks for the converter Ten- I think it's bollox. Well I hope it's bollox anyway as it is 5 mins slower than many converters.

Green start for me tomorrow. Going out at a flat race pace of 6.45-6.48 and looking to run relatively even with only se slight drift. Did this last year and ended up with a 10s positive so would be more than pleased with that. Can someone with access to a proper computer repost the list? Who am I looking for on green?
  • +1 for bollox to Fetch calculator, predicting me 3:06! Think I'll go with with the other ones that predict me sailing in at 2:59:5x.

Been wondering around South Bank with the family this afternoon but now at home with feet up.

Menn - I'll grab the list

• Name – Bib number – Start – Wearing – Time – Chandos?
    Mennania (Johnny) – tbc - Green - Black with Clic Sargent shirt - sub 3hr - Yes
    Literatin (Katie) - 283 - Blue - Nasty white club vest with two blue hoops – 3:15 - No
    Fiona - tbc- green - green surgical scrubs, white coat and Heart UK vest - sub 4 - No
    No Pain (Gary) - 30752 - red FGFA - Fetch vest - Sub 2:55- Yes
    JF50 – 1317 – blue – orange Arthritis Research vest – tbc - No
    15West (Stephen) – 32957 – red FGFA – blue tshirt – Sub 2:55 - Maybe
    Pottermiss - (Fiona) - 22692 - Blue- Yellow T Shirt Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research - sub 4.15 - No
    Al Runs - 31020 - red FGFA - Blue vest - Sub 3 - No

Needs updating, if you don't see your info here, add it now

• Surrey Runner, 29569 green 2 white and blue vest Sub 3 No. (Even though my great great grandfather used to be the pub landlord)
  • Loaded my gel belt with 6 gels, including 2 special yellow ones. The belt seems to weigh a ton, may slow me down a bit.
  • I'm excited & nervous for you, have a good one all and I will catch up on here tomorrow.

• Name – Bib number – Start – Wearing – Time – Chandos?
    Mennania (Johnny) – 28067 - Green - Black with Clic Sargent shirt - sub 3hr - Yes
    Literatin (Katie) - 283 - Blue - Nasty white club vest with two blue hoops – 3:15 - No
    Fiona - tbc- green - green surgical scrubs, white coat and Heart UK vest - sub 4 - No
    JF50 – 1317 – blue – orange Arthritis Research vest – tbc - No
    15West (Stephen) – 32957 – red FGFA – blue tshirt – Sub 2:55 - Maybe
    Pottermiss - (Fiona) - 22692 - Blue- Yellow T Shirt Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research - sub 4.15 - No
    Surrey Runner - 29569 - green - white and blue vest - Sub 3 - No
    Chris J77- 9064 - blue - tbc - tbc - tbc

• GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!  I cannot wait to come on here tomorrow to see how you all got on.  

NN - right but a very hard decision and can imagine you are gutted.  Big hug chuck.

The Fetch calculator is spot on within a few seconds for me for my last marathon.  We shall see tomorrow how it works for the rest of you all! 

• Name ??? Bib number ??? Start ??? Wearing ??? Time ??? Chandos?

Mennania (Johnny) ??? 28067 - Green - Black with Clic Sargent shirt - sub 3hr - Yes

Literatin (Katie) - 283 - Blue - Nasty white club vest with two blue hoops ??? 3:15 - No

JF50 ??? 1317 ??? blue ??? orange Arthritis Research vest ??? tbc - No

15West (Stephen) ??? 32957 ??? red FGFA ??? blue tshirt ??? Sub 2:55 - Maybe

Mark1981 18447 -blue pen2- white vest,blue shorts&shoes - sub 3- Maybe

Just had a huge meal, feet up now and an early night soon!

Good luck for tomorrow everyone image
  • Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭

Name ??? Bib number ??? Start ??? Wearing ??? Time ??? Chandos? 
    Mennania (Johnny) ??? 28067 - Green - Black with Clic Sargent shirt - sub 3hr - Yes 
    Literatin (Katie) - 283 - Blue - Nasty white club vest with two blue hoops ??? 3:15 - No 
    JF50 ??? 1317 ??? blue ??? orange Arthritis Research vest ??? tbc - No 
    15West (Stephen) ??? 32957 ??? red FGFA ??? blue tshirt ??? Sub 2:55 - Maybe 
    Mark1981 18447 -blue pen2- white vest,blue shorts&shoes - sub 3- Maybe

Go caz, 29205, green pen 5, black, white and red vest, no.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello all. Everyone ok? What time people arriving there tomorrow?
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Sleep well all.  Have a great day.