RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff from everyone. Keep it up everyone.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Bruno through 35k in 3:13:59. Doing fantastically well. Keep it going for the last 7k.

Dave finsihed in 2:37. What a legend. image

Will through 35k in 3:19:26. Keep it going Will.

Ricky - best of luck with your first 10k.

A fantastic day for running. Going for 6-8 miles later.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Bruno through 40k in 3:46:24. Just 2k more to go. GO GO GO.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Will is through 40k in 3:52:27 so looks like sub 4hours is just out of his grasp today. Keep it going for the last 2k.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Bruno - absolutely great job. You found something in those last 2k to sneak in under the 4hours, 3:59:39. You must feel great. Well done you. image

• Brilliant run Bruno!!!

It makes me want to run another marathon like right now!!!

• Well done Bruno, take a bow my friend that is an excellent performance and makes all those hard miles and last minute worries all worth it. Also you beat Mo Farahimage

I was watching it all on the box when I got back in from my LSR and it never fails to move me, such a great day.

I did my final run and now into my taper image 22 miles in 3:18:14 @ 8:58 avg miles

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Wonder how Ricky did today. Keeping his fans waiting ........

Just off out for a trot. Going to take the parks in and do some hills. Wearing my green Paris marathon finishers t-shirt. image

• Well done Bruno image

Nice 22 miler Oirish 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

6.5 miles from me today on the hills of Hampstead Heath. Really nice out there. Mixture of paths, gravel, trails.

My legs feel good. It is my lung capacity that has not fully recovered from the effects of the marathon. Probably still recovering from the effects of teh flu.

But 10k training starts this week. 5 weeks to go.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

What did others think about Mo Farah running just half a marathon. I thought it was disrespectful to the other elite runners.

I hate it when people say that they are not doing it for the money. £450k is alot of dosh so why not say that he was offered the money to run 13 miles and he decided to take it. I would then respect him for being honest.

No other runner has ever run part of the course the year before to get used to it. Paula Rascliffe moved up from 10k to marathon running without any problems. And I do not remember her running half of London the year before.

• I agree Carl. Why not just do a big half marathon? Still - might as well take the cash while it's on offer..... 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - are you out chasing chickens ?

Ricky - it was only 10k. Or did you do an Oirish and add a little bit on ? image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Evening all. I watched the race this morning and I've been out all afternoon. It was impossible to connect to this site on my mobile for some reason but no problems using the laptop.

Anyway, great running from Bruno and Will today, well done indeed boys. I hope you're both celebrating with a couple of beers.

It looks like everyone else has been out for a run today in the lovely conditions.

I agree about Mo Farrah, I dont think anyone should be allowed to use such a race as a practise. At least he didnt try and take all the limelight by waving at the crowds etc. And to be fair, would any of us have refused that sort of money ?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Something going on with this website at the moment. First it was the small text. That seems to be sorted. Now it is the not connecting via a smartphone. I am sure RW know all about it and are trying to fix it. image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I was struggling to connect at work last week too. I'm sure it will get sorted.

Carl - good to see easing you way back in to it. How are the legs and body feeling now ? When do you start your training for you 10k ?

Spoons - Robin Hood marathon eh ? I've only just seen that they sare staging it this year as there was talk after last year that they wouldnt be having one this year. And considering that it is my home town race I may have to reconsider my plans 

• I don't mind Mo Farah doing what he did but it is just so patronising to pretend that money wasn't a motivating factor, just own up. It's a nice payday for him and publicity for the race so just be honest instead of rolling out all these excuses.

• Bruno & Will - fantastic running today & as Oirish says great to be able to say you beat Mo! Very well deserved & congrats to you both imageimage

Dave - mind boggling fast! Congrats! - we are not worthy...image

Great long run Oirish - nice to be @ taper isn't it!

I have been having problems connecting on my iphone all week - even the lappy seems slow.. hence the delay on my race report... ahem...

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So while Ricky is sorting out his story a few more details about my trot earlier today.

My 6.5 mile run had 3 hills. Now Carter these are London hills and nothing like what you have. You would also be pleased that it was both an on path and off path route that I took.

The first hill was about 0.75m climb up either side of the 1 mile mark and had a gain of 100ft.

The second hill was just over a mile climb from the 2 mile mark and had a gain of 210ft.

The third hill was a 0.8m climb finishing bang o the 5 mile mark with a gain of 150ft.

This was a really good wokout and my average pace was 8:16 min/mile.

This is a daylight hours route as it traverses a large part of teh Heath and goes through the wooded areas. But it is lovely to run off road so to speak.

Need to work on lung capacity as this is not quite what it used be but the rest of me is working fine and I can honestly say that I now have no ide what was going on with my hammy just before Paris. Have not felt it at all this week.

• OK - well firstly sorry for delay... couldn't connect on my phone & after the race we had a bit of a family day culminating in going out for dinner- so not long back in.

Boy - 10k's are quite tough aren't they?! Found it intense!

Weather was quite warm & sunny - 14degC but windy and the odd sun shower (v welcome) mid race.

The course was wide & flat around the Titanic Quarter/Docklands area in Belfast (start/finish only a few hundred yards from the slipway where the ill fated liner was built) ....

The wind was on our back on the way out for the first 2-3k and then made for a tough last few K coming in back into the headwind (quite an exposed course)

Mile splits as follows:

7:10, 7.20, 7.33, 7.29, 7.32, 7.29, 1.48 (6.41 pace)

Official Chip time: 46:20

So my garmin said 7.23 avg pace but it measured it at slightly over distance at 6.27mls .... so accurate avg pace based on 46.20 for 10k was actually 7.28.

Reasonably happy but had secretly harboured thoughts of 45 something... was on for this at halfway but the tougher return in the wind sucked those vital few seconds away from me image

Still... a PB's a PB! image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - that is a stonking great time from somebody in the middle of a taper for a marathon. You have set the bar high my man. You should be duly proud of that. image You have done no specific 10k training and it is a completely different type of race from a marathon. So bask in the glory of a fantastic new PB.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Ricky - as Carl says, you have set a great target for the 10k on this thread. We'd all better get in some serious training to try and match that
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Last week I attended Nottingham university to take part in some tests about exercise induced asthma. I've never been diagnosed with this but tend to cough quite a lot during and after a run. Do the first thing I did was have my peak flow tested. The computer calculates what someone with 'normal' lung function should expect to achieve based on age, weight, height etc. then I spent 6 minutes taking in a cold, dry air which basically replicates how you feel when you exercise. Then it was back to the peak flow tests. Based on the results I don't have exercise induced asthma. My target peak flow was about 570ish and I was hitting about 850. The second lot of peak flow tests only dropped by about 3% which meant I was hitting about 150% of my target. Apparently this means I have a great set of lungs !
  • Ricky - nice PB well done. Good time. 

Carter - I have asthma (allergy not exercise induced). My peak flow gets better each year due to running. I now have the lungs of a 37 year old non-asthmatic image

I've entered Robin Hood Marathon in the autumn - mostly because it was the only one I could find on a weekend I'm not looking after my son! No idea what it's like.....

• Ricky - Fantastic time there my friend, I know the area the course was on well and if it was breezy I can vouch for how challenging it must of been.

Just think of what you are capable of when you give it a decent go image

I had childhood asthma, it was actually what got me hooked on running, I was issued with one of those blowers to be tessted on before and after a little exercise and told I was NOT to do any strenuous exercise. I was a very contrary 11 year old and after doing the tests as prescribed asked my mum if I could do a little more. That was it, I did my first half marathon aged 14. (I don't mean I ran for 13 miles but it took me three years I mean I kept my running up and then entered a HM, just thought I'd clarify that)

The only serious attack I ever had was running (and winning) the anchor leg on a 4x400 relay for Essex schools where I crossed the line and threw up over the shoes of the watching dignitaries before collapsing. My dad who shares my natural contempt for authority and a love of sport cites it as one of his fondest memories of us as kids.

As a footnote a friend was issued one a little while back and we all gave it a go and with a gentle puff I blew the thing off the scale. It goes to show the restorative powers of exercise.

• Hi all,

Thanks for all the support during the race.  I thought I would give you an update on it.

Here are my time details;

5K 10:30:58 00:24:55 24:55 04:59 12.04 10K 10:57:51 00:51:48 26:53 05:23 11.16 15K 11:25:26 01:19:23 27:35 05:32 10.87 20K 11:52:40 01:46:36 27:13 05:27 11.02 HALF 11:58:28 01:52:25 05:49 05:18 11.34 25K 12:19:27 02:13:24 20:59 05:23 11.16 30K 12:48:17 02:42:14 28:50 05:46 10.40 35K 13:20:02 03:13:59 31:45 06:21 9.45 40K 13:52:27 03:46:24 32:25 06:30 9.25 Finish time 14:05:42 03:59:39 13:15 06:03 9.94

I found the first 12-13 miles no problem and was happy with my pace.

Great crowd, the atmosphere really is best for the first 10-12 miles with music and crowds etc. It seems the crowd are more interactive at that point although clearly they are great the whole way round.

I thought I would be able to stay the pace and get 3:48-3:55 range but I really died between 30 and 40 k. I tried to up the pace a couple of times but each time I did I felt cramp beginning and once I slowed a bit the cramp went. While I would have liked to stay at a faster pace I realised if I did that it might have been a 4:30 finish rather than the eventual time I got so I revised my expectations.

I had underestimated how hard I would find miles 20-25!

In terms of lessons learnt for future races I have the following thoughts;

• I didn't lose enough weight- I weigh approx. 13 stone and at my best at football I was 12 stone. If I really want to do a better time in future the beer and cheese toastie fetish will have to go!
    • I think in the long runs in preparation a couple of 22/23 milers are needed. I did 3 x 20 milers but I think the body needs to experience how bad it gets after that
    • Highlight of the race for me was passing Iwan Thomas at mile 16!! I am being childish I know as I realise he was a sprinter!

All in all a great sense of achievement even though I felt I could have done it maybe 10 minutes or so quicker, but I realise how tough the damn thing is so am happy with my end result. I saw loads of people drop out, get medical attention and I realise that could easily have been me. The weather felt very very hot! I know they warn you not to drink too much but I did feel thirsty and very hot. I mixed water with gels so hopefully that was the right approach. Met office said 15 degrees but it felt like 20!

Thanks to all of you here for your advice in training and on the day itself.

Your tips were very helpful and accurate.

Maybe will do Dublin the Autumn!! It is my native city after all

Thanks again

Bruno

• sorry - just realise the splits above and not come through in the correct format

splits were as follows;

5k - 24.55

10 k- 51.48

15 k- 1.19:23

20k- 1.46:36

half- 1.52: 25

25 k- 2.13:24

30 k- 2.42: 14

35 k- 3.13:59

40 k- 3.46:24

finish- 3.59:39

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Yes, terrific stuff Bruno. Hope you've got your feet up today !

Spoons - Nottingham will be a very flat route. The HM route is online already and I often run parts of it during lunchtime at work. For some reason they are saying the full route is not yet available but whatever it is I'm sure it will be a PB chance.

• Flat eh? That sounds good. I'll be sick of hills after the Wales Trail Marathon!