Should I stay or should I go? ..... leaving DF3 in the dust that is

I can't decide between my obligation to hang around and support df3 through his marathon attempt or whether I should leave him and concentrate on my own race.

Comments

• Run your own race Jindalee and meet David at the end. You've done all the training, it would be daft to waste it.

My OH (when he runs!) runs a bit faster than me and I'd never expect him to slow down on my account.

• Nah not really, he was running regularly last time we did a race together. He hasn't run in a long time now. And considering he's younger than me and only beat me by about 13 minutes I'd say he's the one who should be embarrassed image

And my marathon time is better than his which is the most important thing image

• Plus you don't want to have to listen to him bleating on all the way round making excuses as to why he isn't going to beat 4:30!image

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi Scremapillar, tha'st true, I have been training since middle of December for this marathon but after my 20 miler I have a much better idea how hard the last 6.2 miles could be.... and for some reason I feel I should be there to support him and he couldn't train as he would have liked due to his injury. In HM I have no problem leaving him struggling behind meimage
  • I can't beleive you need to ask. LEAVE HIM FOR DEAD.
  • JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi xyloid, well THAT is a good point for leaving him.image will probably hear enough excuses for the rest of the day anyway
  • JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    That's not a nice thing to say chloella. I won't be doing that!
  • He hadn't trained well before the marathon........

but definitely don't wait for him.unless you are worried about not finishing and you can use him as an excuse...

I would hate my OH to race with me unless that was what we planned when entering one.he has joined me on a couple of ultras and a night race......

but usually we race seperately

• Generally, struggling runners help each other, faster runners don't slow down - it's what happened with Sophie Raworth and Iwan Thomas today. She carried on and he found a couple of other blokes to run with.

Don't worry, he won't be on his own.

• Not nice? There's a reason Mr Chloella and I do not participate in the same sport at the same time...
  • (we can' even play scrabble against each other without recriminations...)
  • when you get a warm day after months of training oi teh cold it causes havoc for some people.also London is a crap marathon to try and run well.......I would never ever try and race it.causes too much heartache and causes too many problems

• Stomach trouble Dave. I think he was expecting about 3.45.

Two newsreaders ran faster two Olympians.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Knew a chap who was probably looking for about 2:35 and came out 2:52. Still a cracking time, but seems stomach troubles ruined him a bit too.

That's another reason to avoid marathons then!

Iwan Thomas is a game lad. Met him at the Great South Run last year. 10miles was probably way longer than he'd like, so over 2 1/2times must have been torture!

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

when you get a warm day after months of training oi teh cold it causes havoc for some people.

But if you trained in the gym rather than in single digit weather the whole time you dont really get this problem.

Oh dear, I havent found ANOTHER plus point for the gym rather than just relentlessly running outside in the miserable cold and rain just to prove youre hard LOL.

Or alternatively, running outside in all weathers because I enjoy it, find it preferable to the mind numbing, stifling boredom of gym running and love taking in my surroundings.  I was going to suggest that if you're doing all your training on a treadmill, you must be very easily entertained, then it occurred to me that you're constantly on here trying to wind people up, so definitely a dullard with a short attention span. 

Here's hoping conditions are kind to you if you're actually going to run a marathon, you're going to need all the good luck you can get.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Which marathon are you doing DF?

• Actually David, you won't even hint at featuring in my thinking.  I suspect I'll be too busy enjoying a run outdoors, in the weather, regardless of what its doing.   

•  Hello,  my name is Tracy and  I am married to the fellow who goes by the name of Waccyracer.   He is also running the neolithic marathon . I noticed that his usual 10 and  20 mile runs this week have all been done with added intensity.  I think  he believes your  old man uses these forums just to gee up, insult and generally  be a bit mean to  people .   Tell me, is he that silly in real life?  

You can check with RW to see if this post has been wrote by Mrs Waccy or not and if i am lying then i will pay  50 English pounds to the charity of your choice.

Oh i'd better  go back to this mornings thread and say sorry for saying your husband must have been dropped on his head when he was born .  Just an old Irish saying to account for someones odd behaviour.

Have a nice  week .  Try to teach David some manners and Waccy my wonderful husband and I may even say Hello at Avebury and Stonehenge.image

• harrys mate.

you must have been married to waccy for a hell of a long time as you seem to have morphed into such similar people.you must be so close that you are almost one person............

• We have been together for over 35 years .  Yes we are very much alike.

I don't usually post on his running sites but when my Paul my husband showed me some of the comments made by  DF3  I though i'd join in the conversation.

Would you like to see wedding photos?

• no...I'm sure you will say hello to the Jindalee and the other forumites at the neolithic.are you a faster runner than your husband as well......

• No i don't run anymore. Too busy with  the grandchildren these days.  

Paul has ran many ultras and over 110 marathons .  His best marathon time was during his 100th marathon( 3:17) which he did last year at Abingdon. 

• shame that they missed him off the results at abingdon........its a great race isn't it.

you should stand up for equality and get him to sort out the granchildren when you run........otherwise it makes him sound selfish

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    harrys mate wrote (see)

You can check with RW to see if this post has been wrote by Mrs Waccy or not and if i am lying then i will pay  50 English pounds to the charity of your choice.

How do you possibly think they could confirm that out of interest?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

shame that they missed him off the results at abingdon........its a great race isn't it.

you should stand up for equality and get him to sort out the granchildren when you run........otherwise it makes him sound selfish

Maybe he used the same chip as that Brighton runner.