A new me......

Evening all!

I have flirted in and out with running for the past year, starting for a week or 2 and then stopping for a couple of months.

At Christmas I decided I really wanted to sort out my diet and get to living a healthier lifestyle. At Christmas I was 13'st4. I'm 5ft9 tall.

After mostly just cleaning up my diet and the occasional walk I was down to 12'10 by the end of Feb. Since then I have worked even harder on my diet and started running again, along with regular walks (on non runing days) Also started doing a press ups app and squats app on my phone on non running days.

I dont follow a C25K or anything, just slowly trying to increase my milage every couple of weeks, at the moment I do a circuit of 2 miles, the first mile non stop but then the final mile I stop 2 or 3 times and walk for maybe 10 seconds. I do my best to do this 3 times per week. I have built up to this over the last month.

Typical diet is

8am- Porridge with scoop of protein

10 am Banana

1pm Wholegrain tortilla with Beef/chicken peppers or beef/chicken salad

5pm Steak/Chicken with onion and pepper fried (1cal spray) served with veg.

or Ommlette with salad

or Tortilla's served with Sweet potato wedges.

8pm Banana or Banana protein shake.

* I know alot of people dont like protein shakes, but the ones I use are low carb and  fat and about 100calories. I use them as they're filling and I quite enjoy them.

Currently down to 12'6 Ideally would like to get to 11'10 and see how I look /feel and go from there. Big year this year as I get married end of August!

Main downfall is weekends as of late I have been blowing all the weeks good work on a Friday takeaway, Saturday Beers and pizza and then big roast and more beer!

But now I'm limiting myself to one ' cheat' meal a week and try and only drink one night per week too. image

I'm going to keep this thread as a little blog of food, excercise done etc....

Comments

• so todays diet was-

Breakfast -9- Shredded wheat and a Banana

Lunch /snack Banana and apple

4pm 2x wholegrain tortilla wraps with peppers, onion , steak with cauli, brocoli and carrots.

8pm left overs from tea small amount of steak onion amd peppers with more veg.

4 cups of tea ( no sugar)

2 1/2 pints of water.

No run today just press ups app.
  • You are quite heavily into bananas aren't you.  Good luck and keep up the good work!

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

I found eating what I would normally eat but smaller portions and no bad snacks helped me lose nearly 2 stones.

I went from 13st10 to 12st0

Good luck to you.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

There is a weight loss thread on here it might be worth joining in on that image

I losst 6 stone 1 lb in the year, i use weightwatchers online, but it's essentialy all about just ensuring you have less calories coming in.  Below around 1500 per day for a woman and below around 1900/2000 a day for a bloke i guess? and you should start to loose weight. 

Basically you need to drop around 3500 calories a week on average to loose 1 lb a week. 

Bananas are great i try and have one every day image

Cutting out unnecessary calories is by far the easiest method if you are serious... as in ditch a lot of the alcohol and replace it with wather or diet drinks and you might be saving over 1,000 calories a week without making any other changes.

• Thanks for all your messages,

I'll definitely have a browse through that weightloss thread, thanks, and over 6 stone, that's amazing!!! well done!

Bananas are my favourite fruit, normally 1 or 2 per day!

Alcohol wise I'm going to limit it to one night per weekend.

Regarding smaller portions, my previous diet was rubbish something like 1 big frozen pizza for dinner or breaded chicken with curly fries, so on the whole gonna try and keep my diet as clean as I can and hopefully finally shift these moobs!!!

So you'd all agrre that running is good for weightloss? I've read/heard a few conflicting articles.
  • Running is fantastic for weight loss. I've lost 37 pounds since the 1st of August - first stone I put down to diet, 2nd stone to walking/gym cardio, and the last 9 pounds or so entirely down to running outside (since December). Haven't lost any for a while but with the running I've maintained without much real effort on the diet.

Good on you for your progress so far! My diet was really about portion control, and calorie counting (not strict, just becoming more aware of calorie values, and not changing the variety of my diet but the volume) and on the basis that it wasn't really a diet but a change of lifestyle. Like you, I cut back loads on booze - 15 to 20 pints/ equivalents a week was fairly normal before, now if I have 4/5 in a week it's unusual (except for big nights out, but they're rare these days as a married parent!). I still have the occasional takeaway blowout but it's once a month or so rather than at least one a week. So far it's sticking.

On the running, it sounds like you're taking it easy which is definitely the right path, up the activity too quick and you get injured. Good luck!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Running is fantastic for shaping your body.  realistically it doesn't actually shift the pounds unless you start putting decent milage in, you need to combine it with a diet. 

Dieting gets rid of the weight, running gives it a bit of a hand each week, BUT, running is out of this world for gently toning your body.  So whilst you are loosing the weight and keep running you will quite quickly change your body shape and look a lot healthier thanks to the running.

If you look at the stark figures 3,500 calories loss is 1 lb a week.  OK well if you are very large you might loose 150 calories per mile running.  When you get slimmer down to 90-100 calories a mile.  So that's actually 35 miles to loose 3,500 calories.  BUT, that is only if you don't put anything else in... so if you have a sports drink that's another 500 calories... oops need to run another 5 miles now....

Don't get me wrong running is great for shaping your figure image but the diet is the bit that you need to do if you really want to keep consistently loosing weight.  On my really good days i eat 1200 calories in the day and run off 1500 calories so i'm actually in negative figures for the day, those days of course running is great, but if I did that exercise then had a take away pizza and a couple of pints.  That would completely blow any weight loss effect of the running.

• booktrunk wrote (see)

On my really good days i eat 1200 calories in the day and run off 1500 calories so i'm actually in negative figures for the day,

VERY negative figures at that rate given the required calories to maintain weight. Not one to be doing everyday of course!

• Thanks all.

I'm totally with the diet now, and to be fair I'm not missing the frozen pizzas etc at the min, Hopefully my milage will increase soon too, but I struggle to slow down and also getting a rythym to my breathing, sure it will come with time.

I'm off out tonight, gonna try and go slow and complete my 2 miles non stop, will be quite late though as I'm at my mom's and shes doing a dinnerimage

Think its Pork chops, mash, veg and sausage, I'll  go easy on the mash and sausage.

Also ended up skipping lunch today cause things were manic at work, so far only had porridge today! ( I understand this isnt a great thing for dieting either, going so long without eating )

• Pork chops AND sausage - that's moms for you!

I'm rubbish at pacing myself as well, I can tell when I'm at 10 minute miles or slower but hate going so slow, I can tell when I'm doing 7 minute miles because I feel like I will die and can't go further than 800 meters if I'm lucky, but between the two I haven't got a clue!

Even with a garmin on the other day, aiming at 8 minute miles for 45 second intervals I ended up doing a range between 6:08 and 7:40..... it said "fast" on the sheet so I went fast (for me!).

• Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)

Pork chops AND sausage - that's moms for you!

I'm rubbish at pacing myself as well, I can tell when I'm at 10 minute miles or slower but hate going so slow, I can tell when I'm doing 7 minute miles because I feel like I will die and can't go further than 800 meters if I'm lucky, but between the two I haven't got a clue!

Even with a garmin on the other day, aiming at 8 minute miles for 45 second intervals I ended up doing a range between 6:08 and 7:40..... it said "fast" on the sheet so I went fast (for me!).

image Yep , have to admit I am looking forward to the dinner though!

Normally with walking my 2 mile circuit takes 21 mins or just under. Ironicaly the last run when I was mindfull to reduce pace to hopefully reduce walking and it was 30 seconds quicker than my previous best, also was my fastest 1st mile too.

• Almost sacked off the run as I was enjoying the Darts, anyway....

Breakfast- 10 am Porridge half a scoop of protein powder.

Lunch- None image

Dinner - Pork chop, 2 sausages, mash and mixed veg.

2 cups of tea,

So glad I did my run, all the way round 'MY' circuit I tried to keep poace and concentrate on completing the circuit none stop for the first time

Which I did, 2 miles and a wee bit, total time was the same as my run and a couple of walk times, but chuffed with completing it, I'm going to go for a good walk tomorrow and Saturday and then add another 1/4 mile on my circuit.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Nicky: yes not that oftenimage

Anyway more on maintenance mode now off trying to stay at around the same weight now that I've lost it image
  • Just done my weigh in was 12st 7 last week, just weighed in at 12 st 4, delighted with that!!!

Knees are abit sore this morning so just going to do a brisk walk this afternoon, tonight I'm going round a mates and we`ll have a few beers and chinese (cheat night) Other than that the weekend will be clean eating!

Feel a bit bad about having the chinese later and beers but that's what forcced me out running last night and I'm planning on doing a 5 mile walk today and tomorrow.

Anyway happy with weightloss and how runnings coming along at the moment!
  • Congratulations on doing the full circuit running, that's one hell of a milestone- you can run further than a massive chunk of the population already! And well done on the weight loss!

Have you got a parkrun nearby? If you can already do 2 miles none stop you could take yourself along and do one quite happily soon, it's a lot of fun running with other folks!

• Thank you Nicky, once I'm up to 3 miles I'm going to do some park runs, I saw on amother thread they they don't like you running with head phones in, is that correct?
  • I saw some folks doing it at my parkrun - others might be more strict. For "proper" races it's usually a big no-no and you could be disqualified.

There is a bit of risk running with other people with headphones in because you're likely to be much less aware of the other runners around you, so blocking, collisions and other accidents are much more likely. Also you can't hear marshalls if they need to warn you of something or direct you.

Personally, I prefer without headphones because I like to enjoy the environment of the run itself, and it's only a shortish run anyway. If you haven't tried running without yet, I'd give it a try you might like it!

• I never knew that! Thank you, I just told a newbie mate whos training for a HM and has his forst five mile race in a couple of weeks.

when my distances get further and Im booked onto some park runs/races I'll xtart without music, im just worried the constant sound of my breathlessness will put me off!!!
  • The race rules will state the attitude towards headphones but it's quite common to see them banned.

• brummie84 wrote (see)
    I never knew that! Thank you, I just told a newbie mate whos training for a HM and has his forst five mile race in a couple of weeks.

when my distances get further and Im booked onto some park runs/races I'll xtart without music, im just worried the constant sound of my breathlessness will put me off!!!

Do you think maybe running without music would help you get a better natural rhythm going to your breathing (which you said you were having problems with) ?  Just a thought.

• Well today (Friday) was the cheat emal day.

Breakfast - Porridge with half scoop of protein powder

Lunch- 2 slices wholegrain toast with spaghetti with sausages

Dinner- Half a chicken chow mein, half egg fried rice and a chicken chilli salt and pepper dish plus 8 cans of Carling.

Right tomorrow going for a good walk and having good clean food!

Knees felt a little sore/stiff today , hopefully theyll be alright for Sundays run!
  • Eat more, and good stuff, at lunch on a Friday and you won't be so tempted to stuff yourself with bad food in the evening?

• Why protein powder in your porridge? 

• Re Protein powder in the porridge, I always had porridge with sugar, having it this way does away with sugar and also makes it more filling!

Saturday-

Breakfast 1 wholemeal muffin with 2 bacon medalions.

Lunch - Chicken salad

Dinner Chicken stir fried with peppers/muchrooms/ courgette onion served with veg.

Also had 4 bottles of Stella.

No running but did a 5.5mile walk.

• Sunday-

Breakfast- Porridge with half scoop of protein

Lunch Chicken stir fried with peppers/ mushrooms/ onion/peppers served with veg and sweet potato wedges.

Dinner- small portion of whole grain pasta in a spicy peperoni sauce ( was making this ready for this weeks lunches at work.

Was hoping to do a run tonight but knees still feel a little sore, ( is this normal?)

Hoping resting up today will have me ready for tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback comments image

• Where did you hear protein powder fills you up more?  And if you don't want to use sugar (can't see why you would anyway with porridge), you can use honey to sweeten it, which is massively less caustic than protein powder.  And cheaper.  Significantly less calories in honey too.

• I havent heard it , just when I have porridge plain, or with Powder, I find it more filling with the powder. Will give hiney a try though, thanks.

• Also I did read that its good to get protein in every meal, so having that if I'm not eating eggs etc is another bonus.

• Today,

Breakfast 9 am Shredded wheat

Lunch 1pm - Grilled chicken , bananna

Dinner 6pm stir fried chicken, in  discovery spices, mushrooms, half a pepper 1/4 onion in 2 wholegrain tortillas.

Will be doing the 2 mile run a little later, (under the cover of darkness lol)