Options

Ironman Wales 2013

Comments

• Options
    I might try a recce of the Wales course, maybe if anyone fancies a peleton of pain we could coordinate? RV I'll look out for you at Marlow if I can get the entry fee together!image
  • Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

I look just like my Avatar.

• Options

Good to hear that the road surfaces have improved.

Hoping to sneak down there early one Saturday/Sunday morning to remind myself of the course, and try it out on the TT bike before I make a decision on gearing etc.  Might swap to a compact, or try out the WiFli option.  BE good to have a nice easy gear to spin up the hills, especially at the end of lap two.

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

What did you do it on last year & what gearing out of interest?

• Options

I now have a nice easy gear for the hills...trouble is i'm still crap on the hills

still mlots more weeks to practice...got a hilly 100 this weekend a a hilly 90 the weekend after

then maybe fit in the IMW the week after that

• Options
    Final RV wrote (see)

What did you do it on last year & what gearing out of interest?

50/34 and 11/28, but new TT bike has 53/39

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

I look just like my Avatar.

• Options

I did part of the course back in Jan, to make things a little more difficult a farmer hard cut the hedges, so spent a few miles dodging thorns image

Seren are you doing the Hay sportive?

• Options

Hi all, hope all is well and training is going to plan. I've got a cold (again!) so I'm taking an unscheduled rest day and looking forward to an early night.

I've posted a new entry on my blog, so please have a look:

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/my-mate-marmite/

• Options

Training seems to be going OK, hitting all my sessions, and last week should have been a good week, in theory.

3.8km pool swim Friday, 2 mins quicker than the same distance a week before, ao a plus.

17km run Friday evening, and also Sunday morning, nice and hilly, felt strong all the way with no issues, so a plus.

73km bike on Saturday, felt OK'ish, but boy, it was slow, 3:35.  I know race day everything is quicker, I'll have a few more months training in my legs, there won't be stops at lights etc, and I'll be able to eb on the aero bars for longer, as won't have to watch out for car doors etc as much, but since swapping to a TT bike, it just seems to be taking a while to get really used to it, so I guess it's down to muscle adaptation to the different position.

Might also have been down to doing too much Friday evening, 17km run, 3.8km swim, but just looking back over recent sessions, and I'm not quite where I'd like to have been.

Anyhow, sorry for the ramble, need to look forward, and be positive, all sessions generally being hit, and no real niggles.  Onwards and upwards

• Options

when ever i do a hill at the moment i keep pushing as I always have IMW in my mind

MTri.those sessions look good from here,.and as you say a long time to go till the race

• Options

Yeah, cheers Seren, just a little confidence knock, don't normally get them, but still a while to go.  Only concern is I've got challenge Vitoria 6 weeks before Tenby, and it's my main goal, so also need to recover and train between the two.

all will works itself out

• Options

my A race is 9 weeks before...and i need more recoverey than you............I suppose it depends on what you wnat to get out of Wales......I just need a finish ......but i will spend my time between the two carefully...

for now I just loved cycling yesterday in the sun.........made such a difference

• Options

Sun did make a huge difference, positively warm at one point, and even overdressed

• Options
    The sun and late evenings really add a feel good factor eh! Anyone following Fink had to juggle days. I've had some last minute stuff crop up at work this week and have had to swap tomorrow for today.. Feels weird only getting one session in after a rest day but I literally can't get to the pool in time. Got to try to get used to these aero bars too at some point I reckon... Everyone still feeling strong? Got all their races mapped? I've got a weeks holiday in Greece coming up so plenty of swimming lol
  • Options

After the little 'blip' of the weekend, back in the pool last night, and felt good, nice and relaxed, lomg strokes, good breathing, and real plus.

Run tonight, or maybe bike, see whatthe weatehr does

• Options
    I had a total melt down in the pool today, really don't know what happened.. Couldn't get into it, have realised my weak side really is weak and felt shattered After shifting my breathing to that side. Felt panicked the works... Hope this doesn't develop into a mental block!!
  • Options

CJJ .. i think everyone has sessions like that .. i know i do .. some days you feel you belong in the water , others you seem to suck in a lung full of water with every stroke . Stick with it .. stay calm , it'll all come good

• Options

agree with slag.........

I ran today and hopefully its the return of my running mojo.

• Options
    Cheers guys, just back from my run, finally feeling strong, maybe tomorrow will be a dolphin day! image
  • Options

All quiet on here image just got back from Greece where highlights included getting lost and turning a 45 min run into 2.5 hrs in bad heat.. Getting chased by dogs and lots of sea swimming. Just dropped my first brick in back in the UK and felt strong so the greek heat has helped the tired body! How are we all getting on??

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

Almost at the end of week 13 of Fink, surprising myself with some of the stats I'm getting, average speeds & distances covered in the alloted times, feeling tired today, did a 3 and a bit hour ride with 1200m of climbing and a 30 minute run to end with, horribly windy today as well.

• Options

Good luck with anyone doing Ironman Wales. If anyone needs any local info or help around race time then let me know as its almost on my doorstep so happy to help in any way ii can. 

• Options

All ticking along nicely I think. No real Niggles. Most sessions being hit. Enjoying the bike, and riding lots of hills, just haven't got any long rides in, and no real speed in the bike. 

Been using the turbo, and getting used to the TT bike on the rollers. 

• Options

Been hill walking in Yorkshire this weekend. Not really orthodox tri training but hiking for 23 miles/8 hours in sleet, rain and wind up three very big hills was tough and excellent training for Ironman.

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/

• Options

Time in the feet is time on the feet. It'll all be a benefit

• Options

Just come back from a brutal sports massage... Gonna feel it in the morning but boy was it worth it!

• Options

Off down to Tenby on Saturday, and plan on a quick swim at North Beach, first OW swim of theyear, and a test to see if the wetsuit still fits

• Options

I went last weekend, sea was lovely to swim in. Have fun!

• Options

M tri.was in the Taff on Monday.it was like a mill pond and not too cold.didn't need the booties, hat or gloves......lovely..hopefully going back next thursday