Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Outstanding work guys! Well done.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Great report Reikki.  Well done with the pacing and the recovery from the bad period to keep going strong.  Love it!

Choisty - you went out like an express train!  At one point your predicted time was 2:34:45 and I thought my prediction was looking good image  I suspected that heat would play a role on the day.  Great run and another epic time.

mcs - Rosie had quite a long interview in the main coverage if you've recorded it.

I've got some catching up to do with that guy who's run 580 marathons! image

• RR & Choisty - tracked you both and waited for you to tell your own stories.

Fanatastic achievements both, but you had me guessing for a while......and a double for Rosie only about 10 mins behind Boston time is amazing.

• I don't belieeeeeeeeeeeeve it - me thinks oscarr is a witch!!!  Nearest guess on both of youimage

Have heard a few people comment on the heat now - it certainly plays a massive part in my running so you can probably both knock some time off on a day that suits you better...

oscarr - back to what you were saying yesterday - decided to do a bit of research about heart rate and pace training.  The consensus seems to be that the figures below are guides for different distances.  I will try doing my sessions using these this week - I suspect my pace will be somewhat slower than my race times predict.  But I'm happy that I will get a training benefit either way...

5-K 95-97%

10-K 92-94%

Half-marathon 85-88%

Marathon 80-85%

• Also found this - have a play - scroll right down to the bottom of the page for the HR calculator by distance...

http://www.runningtools.com/heartratemonitorraces.htm

imageimage

Enjoy your recovery reiki/Lee - you are both superstars! 

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Great report RR!

SB: Are those figure for HHR or %Max?

Oh, does anyone have any advice on pacing a 1.5 mile handicap?

• Well done Oscarr you must be in tune and thanks for the cheque.

BoD it's half a 5K so I would go out at 5K pace and pick it up if possible after the first half, or after the mile mark, or in the last 400m.  You could think of it as 6 laps of the track if that helps!

SB I'll look at the runningtools when my brain is less vague yet jumpy.  

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Thanks RR! Good advice. image

• Great report RR thanks and well done to Lee too, why a warm day after all that rain, snow and ice!! Must have been tough running in the warmth after all the winter training.

• Sun was strong, I got slightly burnt!

Conditions were much preferable to cold and windy however much of a shock to the system.  

A few degrees cooler and would have been ideal. 

• Afternoon all - I have to admit to being rather lazy this weekend and only going for a swim no running or biking at all. The marathon reports serve as a kick up the backside for me!

I have managed to get hold of some tiny tiny screwdrivers so hope to change my HR monitor battery so might try some HR training as it seems to work wonders for SB and OSCARR.

RR and Choisty - seems so unfair training in  snow and ice then running in heat! Such a shock tot he system! Amazing running from both of you!.

MCS which Hal Higdon did you follow?

Tri update - managed to borrow a racing bike from a friend and adjust the height and saddle so its an ok fit but ... gears don't work properly and it is terrifying as only got breaks on the drops. Also terrified as only ever cycled 20k and that was on a spin bike. Not sure that racing 26k on an unknown bike even if it is a road bike is a great idea and maybe I should slog it out on my ladies hybrid? Just have to accept that I will be slow on the cycle section! What do you think?

SB any advice on HR training (assuming I can get the blasted thing to work)?

• Ten - thanks for the advice re hotels - I live pretty close to Brighton so will drive down in the morning and use a friends house near Preston park to avoid queing for the loos!

• Thanks SB - so I should be working below 140bpm for most of my training (apart from track when I do intervals).

Cool - I am going to try this and see how I improve from my first to my second triathlon!

• Choisty - brilliant run yesterday, well done - I can imagine the smile on your face ans its such a brilliant time.

Reiki - great race report, thanks.

About my rather accurate recent predictions, sometimes you just have bow to talent !!!!!!!!!!!????

Sleepy - will look at that web site later this week on HR but I am very relieved to see the ranges you quoted and in particular marathon at 80 to 85% which is up into zone 4 - on Sunday my last hour at slightly quicker than MP was HR av of 79% so that's pleasing.
  • I did the marathon at between 80 & 85% actually.

Emma if you look back to the weekend of Coniston on this thread [22+ March], SB gave me some excellent HR pointers back then too. 

Looking at that Mark Allen article and comparing it with my log, I was only low enough once in the past 5 weeks, and that was a 3 mile jog on Thursday just gone.  

• Hey Em - yip - that's pretty much the plan - don't be freaked out if you have to walk quite a bit to keep your HR down at first.  It will improve over time.

oscarr/reiki - awesome - my running HR has always been sky high for most runs.  With hindsight I have definitely been on the threshold if not regularly overtraining.  The massive difference I have noticed so far this year is how well I am sleeping.  I find it as frustrating as everyone else going so slow but I'm intrigued to see the difference at the end of the year if I stick to it...

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Emma - you're welcome, though having a friend living locally is a better solution image 

I had to walk initially when I started out HRM training, but now I'm amazed at how fast I can go at the same heart rate - and it just keeps getting better.  I find it a very motivating way of training (remember to keep records).

Reikki - I would like to have worn my HRM strap in the marathon, but bottled it due to chafing issues image  Had I worn it, it would answer a few questions about my performance in the latter stages.  Never mind, though.  I assume you have qualified GFA for VLM next year?  Are you going to run it again?

Oscarr - it will be interesting to see how your predictions stack up against the race calculators.  Perhaps you could start your own race predictor website askoscarr.com ?

• I plugged in some data and this is what I have got ...

Resting HR - 58 (bit high for me so will re test this - although when it got down to 45bpm I was marathon training so think the LSR really make a difference). Do I assum Max HR is 180 as I am 40?

WHR came out as 125 bpm.

What are my % zones based on? and where should I be aiming to do my training?

Is it 70-80% of my WHR added to my resting HR? Arghhh!

That would give 145 - 158 for 70-80% - is this where I should be training generally (apart from my track sessions).

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Morning all. Oh all the numbers are making my head spin.

I went out and did 3 @ 9mm this morning. Think my averege HR was around 145bpm (I had the strange peak at the start reading again) Somewhere around 76/77%. Was gonna to 5, but got this TT tonight so decided to cut it down a little bit.

Went to a meeting last night about starting a Parkrun in Peterborough. Twas very 'interesting'. I was really shocked at the response from a number of the local clubs whose attitude to it was really negative. Just had a hunt around the web and ... wow: POLITICS... Nooooooooooo image

• Hi Em - if you can - go out and do a parkrun/5k and wear your chest strap.  You can use the formula but it's not totally accurate for most people.  Alternatively wear your chest strap to one of your track sessions - you can always change your max as you discover it's different to the formula.  The 180 - age is reasonably accurate for your aerobic max I believe so you're ok to go with 140 (70%) or below for your aerobic work. % zones are usually based on your max unless otherwise stated.  I've known my Hr to go over 190 and we're the same age xx

My HR HMP is just over 1 mph slower than the target race paces based on my 10k.  Felt about right though (assuming our treadmill is calibrated properly of course) and my HRM was much happier.  Today was classed as Tempo + as opposed to Maximum Training which my MP/HMP sessions have been coming out as.  And what's more - I enjoyed it a whole lot more than recent beastings so I'm going with the HR paces with one eye on where I want to end up.  Wonder how long it'll take to get from here to there - the clock starts now...

Oh and more good news - I haven't been in the red zone on my training analysis graph for 2½ weeks now - it's a first since I got this new watch and software.  image

Bo - we've had similar craziness over here too - there's a big black hole of parkruns on our side of the country if you look at the map.  It looks like we're finally getting one in Newark though,  the rumour is that it'll be a 3 lapper which will be draining.  Still - totally better than nothing image

• Right so I nedd to do the following ....

Do a track session or a really fast section at the end of my run tonight to see my max HR.

My resting HR is easy to sort out.

Using the webpage I found and assuming my MAX is 183 ..

MHR = 183

Resting = 58

WHR = 125

70-80% = 146-157

80-90% = 158-170

Red line (mental) = 171 - 183

So I should be doing my training in 70-80% is that tight SB? BTW what were you doing to get a HR above 190?!!!!

What is HMP? Sorry new to this but I like the idea and the session seemed very pleasant too! image

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

SB: That black hole seems to extend all the way down to Bedford/Cambridge area. Hopefully we can sort something out here. Funding secured, local park agency and council are keen...

Emma: My Max HR by age is 185, but I've tested it and seems closer to 197. Not an uncommon thing apprantly. I did this: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/heart-rate-training-find-your-maximum-heart-rate/181.html

• Thank you Craig - will do my run with my training partner as warm up and then I will do three 'bursts' on the way back and get my new Max - bit worried my resting HR has increased so much! will lie down for next reading image

• Em - don't stress - your resting HR can change by the day - mine ranges from 48 - 56 (at 60 I take a day off!)

Ideally most of your training should be BELOW 70% to get the aerobic effect - ie you produce more mitochondria, fat mobilizing enzymes, increase your ability to transport oxygen, etc.  The 140 you quoted would do the job nicely image

If you do a few hill sprints you'll soon get your HR way higher than you ever thought possible image

HMP = half marathon pace - sorry me being lazy!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Lovely five-and-a-bit miles over the Downs this morning.  It's good to enjoy a breeze that doesn't cut me in two like that foul easterly (shakes fist).  Plenty of gliders, hang gliders, and paragliders out today. Very slow, very pleasurable.  Had to resist temptation to run (a lot) further!

Whichever max heart rate test you do - make sure you take a look at the detailed graph to elliminate any obvious spikes in the readings.  I had some silly readings on my run this morning.

Emma - the true resting heart rate is probably even lower than when you simply lie down.  It should normally be taken as soon as you wake up to get the most accurate figure.  I keep thinking maybe I might wear my strap in bed one night and take a look at the chart the next day image

Craig - good luck with the parkrun.  Seems a bit odd that running clubs are so anti, when parkruns tend to steer newbies in the direction of joining a club.

• Ten I get in for 2 consequetive years now, it's not mandatory to do it however hard to resist.

I'm very glad of Oscarr.com, that Fretch prediction could have done my head in the day before.

Emma my RHR can vary a lot, with tiredness, fighting off bugs, caffeine, and I like to measure it before I get up in the morning.  

There's a lot of politics in athletics I find, even within clubs, and when I was trying ti get my project started a nearby club was hostile, attended meetings more or less to keep tabs on me, and did not seem to get it at all.

Partnership working would have made so much sense, and actually my local club is closely linked to 2 ParkRuns, which is awesome and basic good sense. 

Had a massage this moring, was going to go to the sauna but can't be bothered, so am catching up with Made in Chelsea.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    reikirabbit wrote (see)

I'm very glad of Oscarr.com, that Fretch prediction could have done my head in the day before.

image sorry about that. I got all enthusiastic and posted it a bit too early. 

• Ten it's cool, I am used to not fitting the mould with those calculators, I didn't tell my brother what it said for him though!

• Blimey numbers, numbers, numbers everywhere, think I will have to get on this Heart Rate thing if I had time to run much....the Hal Higdon book I have is The Ultimate Training Guide and has a lot of schedules and training advice with a particular slant towards not getting injured as one gets older and mature!!! They are not super detailed but its an interesting book still available, its 1999 edition in paperback my copy. They are online some of his schedules too. All the best.