ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

...................Just before the 26 mile mark I hit the final hill which would have been a struggle but for the one woman support team that is Jen! She very kindly ran with me, dragging me up the hill. Some other fella next to me got dragged along by Jen too and was so grateful. She is clearly a man magnet, albeit sweaty, half dead men.

We reached the peak and over the other side we picked up to 7:30 pace. It was an amazing feeling. My first sprint finish ever (well it felt like a sprint). Crossing the line was just the best. It is now Tuesday and I am still beaming.

• That was a fantastic read malcs! even I'm sat here smiling! Bring on York!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Great report malcs.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cheers image Yes, well it's little by RRR's standards!

My only issue about York is, what's Jen doing that weekend? image

• Good Point! probably papping herself as its the week before snowdon!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

So here's my splits. The orange bars are sub 8:05mm, yellow are sub 8:30mm but all were less than 8:20mm pace. Looks like I was up and down a little but had a nice orange patch between 17 and 22. Dipped a little at the end but was speeding up just a little for the last two miles. 

/members/images/448713/gallery/splits.png

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Just seen the race day vid for Paris is up. Fantastic viewing. Have your tissues handy image

• I know I'v just seen it as well! WOW I however would have been in tears are the end! I will definitely be entering next year!!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I was going to ask who will be entering Target 26.2 next year?

I know RRR got to bootcamp last year and has now gone all the way this time (in style I might add).

Having done my race on Sunday I've been reflecting on Target 26.2 and I have to say that although I didn't make it to the final 5 this has been in no way a winner takes all competition. Aside from the free kit and Paris trip I honestly feel like I've gained almost as much as the winners themselves.

I'm not just saying this because I'm still on a high. Bootcamp was fantastic and without it I would never have met such an enthusiastic and giving bunch of people.

Ok so I lost two whole weeks of my life during the voting phase image but it was well worth it because after the initial disappointment faded I found that by following the other guys, and in particular Ady, I got all the help I needed. I was particularly impressed at how willing the Asics pro team were to help anyone who asked. Sam, Steve, Ruth, Sarah were just brilliant.

On top of that there was the discovery of the forums which has been absolutely brilliant. I've had help from so many people on different threads. DS2 and Minni have become my adopted mentors and have been absolutely immense. Couldn't have done it without them.   And even then there's more. All the mutual support here and on the other competition threads has been just brilliant. I know it will continue too.  

So I kind of feel like I'm already a winner here but then again it would be great to go through the experience one more time image.

Think I'll wait until the Autumn to decide.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Malcs - I'm having an emotional day and you're not helping!!!  image

You don't have to win a competition to gain on these forums.  You just have to show a willingness to listen and learn.  You are definitely one of the winners and its so good to see you smash your pb.  Well deserved and you've got every right to beam.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Malcs - I won't be entering because I will be too young!!!! Don't think I have said that much in recent years!!!

I will be right behind everyone who does though - especially those that post on here!
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify - I will still be only 49 on day of Paris but want to run one on the actual day of my 50 th. so 13 April it is and hopefully London. Not much point trying to get to Paris. This year was now or never because the same story couldn't be repeated.

I blame RRR for ruining my life!!! image
  • Great Report Malcs, loving the description of your Fluid adjustment break!!

As for applying again, I still have dreams of the voting stage and have never felt so unwanted in all my lifeimage, don't think I could do that again, only kidding it wasn't that bad. As you have said though you can gain a lot if not most of the support and information from here, there and everywhere.

I think the main reason I haven not been on here regularly is that I wanted to see if I could get the sub 4 myself. I read on another thread that some of the entrants to the comp could get their targets if they ate less pies!

I am now thinking though about how fast I could go in a marathon and am well up for getting the support you describe above

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cheers Reg. 

Reginald wrote (see)

As for applying again, I still have dreams of the voting stage and have never felt so unwanted in all my lifeimage

Aww reg, I feel terrible now. Then again, I think the campaigning between myself, you, Ady and the other Martin was pretty civil compared to the good for age group. That got really nasty - who could forget those newspaper headlines "Runny's socks made me go blind" and "DS2 ate my hamster" shocking stuff image

On a more serious note (yes, I have that capability) as Minni said, there is so much to gain on these forums. In addition to my adopted mentors, I got some great help on the 3:15 thread that DS2 and Minni frequent from some seriously knowlegeable runners. I've also hung around on the Paris thread where there are some really nice people covering the whole spectrum of finishing times. Got some great help from them and the moral support is brilliant.

I can't say there's anything here that people suggested which didn't have a positive effect and I've been amazed that after 4 years of running I still had so much to learn. So I can almost guarantee that hanging around, asking questions and acting on the advice really will make a difference.

Oh and eating less pies will help too image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Ha ha Malcs. It isn't true that I ate Runny's socks though despite the rumours!
  • Great race report Malcs.......I hope you gave Mrs. Malcs a big sweaty embrace after finishing! I can't believe after our Spitfire experience, you went and replaced me with just a random! I agree with you though that running with somebody has amazing abilities to lift you. I was very nervous attempting to run at MP at Spitfire for the first time for such a distance, but running with you made it feel comfortable. 

The camraderie on these forums is definitely the best thing I've got from this experience. None of my friends really run and all my training is normally done solo, so to have all this support, banter, experience and advise has been incredible. 

I'll definitely be supporting next years competition entrants and winners.

• OK Malcs you got me. I'll stick about, now which other thread should I go in on. As for being unwanted, that only lasted a day or so, then I had a pies and was ok.

Now, whats my next running challenge?

• Thankyou Tigger, im just glad that you enjoyed following my progress and was just as excited about my time as me.

DS2...dont let the taper madness get to you, enjoy the rest. You have put so much hard work in to your training and have some fabulous runs and times under your belt. I have faith in you. What do you think to your daughter wanting to run a marathon? I would love to do Lands end to John o'groats.

Thankyou reg....I will accept anything, especially man hugs.

I hope you get into York to Clive, will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you. Thats shocking about those people you had to sit next to...surely they should have paid for half of your flight!! I would go for cologne as a back up plan, ive always wanted to go there (but more for the christmas markets)

Good luck Jen with your 5k PB...thats going to be my target in may/June I think once I have recovered from VLM and can get to a park run!

Now to read Malcs race report..cant wait
  • Fabulous race report Malcs, It made me feel like I was running with you. Your poor OH though. What time did he get in the end? I cant believe that you managed a 26 min PB with a toilet stop as well, im impressed and so happy for you to get such a fabulous time. What category would you be in if you entered the comp again...you couldnt be stuck on a platue (no idea how to spell) anymore!!

I normally like running round with someone and having a natter but I have done so much training on my own I dont care anymore and im quite content in my own little world!

Congratulations to Jen for being a fantastic support to Malcs (and the other guy).....can we tempt you into coming down for the York marathon at all????
  • forgot to say, I wont be entering the comp again, there was alot of work involved and when I didnt get through I was kind of relieved so I dont think its for me, I will let someone else have a turn. I agree though its been a fantastic experience and so rewarding despite not winning. Ive met so many lovely people on here who I hope will be friends for life.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - thanks so much! Not sure I'd have done the toilet stop on a busier course. I had the advantage of being able to duck into the trees. If I'd had to go for a portaloo it would have added another two minutes for me to scrub my hands - I'm a bit OCD when it comes to that.

I believe my adopted partner (Gareth) finished about 12 minutes after me, around 3:44 ish. He was smiling over the line but he said at one point he dropped to over 10mm pace! I joined him for an obligatory bacon sarnie afterwards. Best bacon I've had since Spitfire image

Yes, I'm firmly off the plateau now which is the main reason for entering the competition in the first place. I said the other day that I'd wait until the autumn to decide but really I think my mind is pretty much made up not to re-enter. I've got everything I wanted and so much more out of this. I'll definitely participate in the voting threads and will follow at least one of the lucky ones in the hope of grabbing more free advice from the pro team! image

Reg - depends to an extent on what your next target is? There are threads for 3:45, 3:30, 3:15 etc. But there are also other more general ones like this one and the Paris thread. Do you have another race in mind or do you just want general advice? 

I guess most people run spring marathons so there's quite a few threads in that section. As this is my first year here I don't know if they just run and run (no pun intended). Minni or DS2 may have a better idea.

Or perhaps we should start our own thread and all stick together?

It would be interesting to know what Sarah, RRR and Ady plan to do with their threads?

If you have any specific questions I would just ask on one of the threads. I have been amazed at how willing people are to offer help and advice. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I like this thread personally. The variety of targets and abilities is more reflective of the running community.

I've found it a very supportive place to come whenever motivation has been hard to keep up. Like Sarah, I've met people I hope to stay in touch with and I'm looking forward to travelling around meeting up with others like I did with Ady and Malcs at the Surrey Spitfire 20.

I think it would be great if a few of us could consider an overseas marathon at some point together.

Maybe a German one Autumn 2014???? Berlin, Frankfurt, Cologne?

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    I agree with DS2 I love this thread. The varied chatter n support has been SO good for me.

Tigger is right York weekend I will be in total snowdon meltdown!

I fancy the idea of an overseas autumn marathon 2014. as long as you all promise to wait for me at the endimage

Breaking news. I have decided to stop being a loner n take my motivational skills to a running club. I am going for the first time this eve. I will let you know how I get on.
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

oh and I don't think I will apply next years comp. There's no way I can do justice to a thread. but I will definitely follow and support.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    I agree with DS2 I love this thread. The varied chatter n support has been SO good for me.

Tigger is right York weekend I will be in total snowdon meltdown!

I fancy the idea of an overseas autumn marathon 2014. as long as you all promise to wait for me at the endimage

Breaking news. I have decided to stop being a loner n take my motivational skills to a running club. I am going for the first time this eve. I will let you know how I get on.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Jen - glad to see you agree with me twice!!!image

Totally in taper madness now. Completely lost faith in everything I've been doing this past 5 or 6 months. Luckily malcs has been reverse mentoring me via text and I'm a little calmer.

In past few days I've gone from aiming to run sub 3;15 to being pleased if I get under 3;40 even though I've run a 1:30:44 half marathon and a 2:28 20 miler in this campaign. No sense whatsoever! What am I doing?image

I rather unscientifically decided to run a very hilly 9.25 miles first thing this morning at MP just to prove I can still run fast enough. Averaged 7:24mm which considering the hills was very good and easily the fastest I've ever run that route. Legs are a bit sore now.

Note to self: trust in the training!

Chances of listening to 'note' - almost zero!!!

• This one it is then, just going to be a bit more active as I may have missed out, I'd love to go back through the 132 pages and 2633 messages, most of which are Malcs!!, but don't think I can find the time.

Jenf, where is the running club, not Langport Somerset is it? as its my club, well not mine but I am the outgoing treasurer!!!  Pretty much all running clubs are freindly and welcome new members with open arms.

• Malcs - I think I am capable of a 3:45 at some stage, shed 7lbs in weight eat even less pies and i'm sure I can go for it.

Need a marathon to go for. Was already thinking about entering Brighton again next year as well as trying for London 2014. entries open Monday. Unless there is a communial one I could enter with all here?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Malcs/DS2 - a thread will stay active for as long as you are posting on it.  My thread started two years ago and has just kept going.  It has about 30,000 posts now.  Most of those are about drinking and partying though! image

DS2 - how long to go?  If it helps I felt so not confident on the Friday before London.  Not panicky but just accepting that perhaps it wasn't on.  However, I kept my cool and it all came good on the day.  I can't stress enough the need for even pacing.  Do not let yourself be dragged along too fast.  I was checking my garmin constantly in the first half and kept slowing down, even though it felt easy.  Didn't check it so much in the next quarter and virtually not at all in the last 6 miles. from then on I kept chanting to myself, ''maximum speed, minimal fade'', over and over and over again. I was amazed that my fastest mile was mile 24 @ 7:09 (apart from mile 3: 7:04, but its downhill).   Keep your head and you'll be fine.