RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Malcs, your record breaking certainly gives me some confidence. I have a friend who has had similar past marathon experiences to me, ending up much slower than what the calculators say and when I say much slower, by a good 15-20 minutes (when u already added 10 to be safe). He was going for sub 4 in London and ended up around 4:45... Again.... When talking to him during training I think he does his LSR too fast, and he even did a half at 1:50 just 2 weeks before London.... I'm a bit scared I'll end up massively undershooting my target again, but then I think I can identify some of his mistakes.... Hmm seems taper madness is getting underway for me alreadyimage
  • AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah,

Thanks, yes I was delighted with my time but also the way that the race went almost exactly to plan. It does sound like we had quite similar races, you were just a bit faster, especially in those last couple of miles.

I was feeling it a bit in my quads and glutes yesterday but overall my legs weren't too bad. I had a massage in the afternoon which helped, although I could have done without having to run for the train on the way there. Today I'm back at work and will be sitting at a desk most of the day, so I'll have to make sure I get up and move around as much as possible so I don't stiffen up too much. It hurt a bit when I got up after sitting on the train for 35 minutes this morning.     

I loaded up the race details from my Garmin to Garmin Connect and looked at the route map and it definitely went haywire around Canary Wharf so that explains the time for mile 19.         

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Thanks to Clive, Angela, Malcs and carterusm as well!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Malcs wrote (see)

carterusm - many thanks. Were you running on Sunday? Sorry, not able to keep up - so much going on.

Malcs - it certainly has been rather busy on here recently !

I have entered Manchester marathon which is this Sunday but I have had to pull out with an ITB injury. I have got another 4/5 weeks of no running image but will be going to the gym to try and keep some fitness going image

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

We had to sprint for the train home Andy, cue hilarious comments from the runners already on board.

Malcs I read your race report on the other thread, really good fun.

I've taken a day off today Sarah, feel much better for it, I had some Night Nurse last night and slept like a log..  I stayed in bed till 10 then started working form home. This is so very similar to what I had in the Autumn, and I carried on working and it went on for weeks, so I shall stay off till it's better.

I am looking at a plan for Chester Marathon, 6th October. It is a great race, well worthy of all the praise on RW.  I've got quite friendly with one of the organisers since the first one and I love the finish, along the river and through the racecourse. I know that I have a good base now, the race didn't go well but my training, particularly long runs, has been consistent so if I can work round a summer holiday then I will be going for 3:30 there instead.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Andy -  well done on your sub 3:30.  Brilliant!

Mr P - sorry it didn't happen for you this time but keep at it.  It'll come.

Malcs - have you done a race report?  I'm so pleased for you.  Sub 3:15 next...

Alex....???

Sarah - I've just read your report and felt quite emotional.  You race sounds almost step by step the same as mine.  My garmin messed up to and I ran to feel for the last 6 or so miles. 

I knew you'd do it.  I know you were nervous and nerves are a good thing but there was really no need!  I'm so proud of you.  Its such a great achievement and I can't wait to see what you manage in the autumn. 

I had a really easy job with you and basically you did it all yourself.  Very well done.

Are you going to do that 5 mile race tomorrow night?  I'll definitely not be running for a week!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni - many thanks indeed, you've been such a great help. Are you doing an autumn marathon? 

Race report is on the Target 26.2 thread.

Nice of you to say but 3:15 seems more suitable a target for Sarah than me. I will definitely be looking for sub 3:30 though and because that's just a few minutes off I might even set a gold target of 3:20 something. If I could match Sarah's time this year (she'll be even faster next year) then that would be unbelievable. You've gotta dare to dream image

Yes SeanAlexMartin, where are you? How did you get on? Did you manage to move your pen? We need to know!

Mr P - many thanks indeed. Chester is on my list of 'marathons that might not kill me' due to its position at the cooler end of the year. That said we've had some quite warm Octobers in the past. Hope I'm not tempting fate. 

Best of luck with your recovery and I really hope that you have a great summer's training and nail it in Chester.

There's quite a few of us doing autumn marathons so it would be good if we could  stay here (if Sarah will allow) to keep the moral support going.

Andy - what a great race you had, no wonder you are thrilled. It is indeed all the tall buildings that screw up the GPS around Canary Wharf. I used to write software for  simulating satellite radio interference image

Angela - don't think for a minute we haven't forgotton that you're still to come! We'll all be here to keep you going right up until race day.

I can completely understand your worry about undershooting your target. I had the same fears. I found one thing that helped was to remember that I am very comfortable at my marathon pace. If you are comfortable at MP and you've put in your long slow runs so you have the endurance, you're tapered well, carbo loaded and have a fueling strategy then if you stick rigidly to that pace you are almost guaranteed to succeed.

If you are comfortable at MP it means that you aren't over exerting yourself. You're not over using precious fuel supplies and over tiring your legs. It then comes down to endurance and if you have that then you will be fine.

Freak things like abnormal weather and illness can of course get in the way but you can't control these. You can control the above.

You've done your endurance. You will taper and carbo load properly and you will have a fueling strategy. Stick to MP all the way and you will nail it. 

• Hello, got back from London late last night and straight back to work this morning so only just managed to catch up with everyone's news. Must confess I had to watch last episode of Broadchurch that I missed last night first. (I've spent the day avoiding people talking about who did it!)

Congratulations to all with new pbs. I have really enjoyed reading your race reports. They brought back great memories of Sunday and some not so great....did anyone else running London see the guy in the Borat mankini?

So sorry that you are ill, Mr Puffy. I so admire your determination to take part and finish. Hope you recover quickly.

Angela, well done on your last 20 miler. I don't think I would managed to do a LSR if I was on my holidays. Has taper madness set in yet?

Knew you would do it Sarah! Thank you for allowing us to follow your journey to VLM. And to Minni. Your advice and emphusiasm has been amazing. Hope you don't mind if I stick about, looking forward to seeing how Angela gets on.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Dotty - did I miss something? You did race didn't you? You forget to say how you got on! image

PS. I was behind someone in a mankini last year - still having nightmares about that one. I heard the wedgie was so bad he needed surgery to remove it. image 

• Sorry, Malcs. I realised once I had submitted reply that I hadn't said how I had got on! Even though I made some really stupid mistakes e.g. too much sighseeing the day before; not enough sleep; nearly missed Thames clipper I had booked to get to start, followed wrong runners to start area so I ended up walking through red and blue start areas; only used two gels and one shotblock cube as stomach wasn't happy digesting them, I managed to get a new pb by 12 mins.! On the same page as Sarah at the moment. Unlike Sarah, I set off too fast, probably to escape the mankini. By mile 19 my legs felt like lead but I knew I had built up enough time that I could take the last few miles slowly and I would still make my target. My 5k splits are quite even up to 30k and then you can see how pace dropped off. I think its down to poor race nutrition. I'm running Edinburgh marathon next month so will use that to practise with gels. Legs feel fine today though walking up and down stairs yesterday was a bit tricky.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Dotty - what was your time????!!!!!!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Jeez! That is bloody brilliant! Very well done! You must be thrilled.

What are your plans for Edinburgh? To race it or just have an enjoyable day out?
  • Very happy but annoyed with my stupidity regarding gels. Top half of body felt fine at finish and could've pushed harder but legs just weren't having it! Part of me is thinking I should try to race Edinburgh.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Wow! Fantastic result Dotty. And that was with you dropping off at the end you say? What pace did you average for the first 30K then? Must have been flying.

Very well done indeed!

PS. a little less modesty in future please - we all want to know how you get on particularly if it's a good one! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Dotty - I'd say Edinburgh depends on your plans for the rest of the year. I've twice done Edinburgh after pb-ing in London and both times have resulted in a hard slog on the day and being left with muscle fatigue for the rest of the year.
  • Thank you Malcs.

5k 23.43

10k 23.26

15k 23.28

20k 23.36

25k 23.34

30k 24.09

35k 24.42

40k 25.18

42k 11.13
  • Minni - I managed to get a place in the Berlin marathon. This will be the first time I've done an Autumn marathon, so I am worried about muscle fatigue but I'm a bit competitive so not sure if I will be able to restrain myself from racing Edinburgh!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    It's up to you and I don't know a lot about the type of runner you are. But my strength is in endurance and I've really struggled after trying to race both. I'd save it for Berlin I'd I were you. You've got perfect timing to recover then start another build up and run another storming PB in Berlin. Race Edinburgh and you risk not doing well in either, in my opinion. But you know yourself and what you want to do.

Again, very well done in London.

I think I'm going to enter Haddington HM. Are you doing it?
  • Wow Dotty! What an awesome time! Well done! Clearly mankini man spurred u onimage

No taper madness just yet- so far training is like any other week... Will start to feel it when my Sunday runs are getting much shorter I think. Like Malcs, this is the first time I get to a taper still wanting to run and being able to, so I hope that bodes well for the marathon in a few weeks. In any case am going to go and drive the course this weekend, hopefully to help prepare me, and not to help madness set in. I was planing to run on it a few weeks ago, but other things got in the way.

I did Berlin in 2011- really nice city- good wide roads pretty much the whole way around image. According to most reports definitely one to go for a fast time image

Thanks for not forgetting me Malcs.... If everyone does forget me I'll probably just talk to myself on here... Taper madness and allimage
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hey Angela I don't think anyone is going to leave you so don't worry! And you won't need to share the attention. image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    By the way, I followed Ruth's carbo loading guidelines (well apart from the Thai on Friday night) and it definitely worked for me. I think you did too Sarah?
  • Tee hee! All the attention! Yipeeeeeee!! Hmm perhaps too much French wine... Thinking its about time for a Sarah-esque alcohol ban- perhaps as soon as we touch down in gatwick tomorrow image though that might lead to a severe case of post holiday blues...
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to have a drink! I will wait till the weekend now though.

I'm thinking about the Sandstone Trail now, less than three weeks away. If this cold clears up I'll do a couple of recce's of around 13-15 miles on the route before the race
  • Out tonight just 3.3 but a long road to go

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

3:30 or bust - wrong thread!  Not that it matters.  There are two RW Forum Six sub 3:30 threads and my name is attached to both! lol

• Im not sure how I have managed this as I got home at a reasonable time after work (due to not running) but ive still ran out of time to come on here and post anything meaningful, which I apologise for.....I promise to join in with you all tomorrow morning (have the day off to attend a tribunal in the afternoon). I have the third 5 miler road race to complete tomorrow evening.....slowly!
  • Hi Carter, thankyou ever so much for your kind words. Im planning on doing the South Yorkshire championship 5 miler tonight but im going to take it steady/easy. Im even tempted to leave my watch at home so im just running according to how I feel.

Where abouts will you be marshalling at sheffield so I know where to look for you. I will be wearing my green and yellow maltby top.

I hope that your injury soon heals and your back up and running soon, thankyou for all your support.
  • Morning Malcs.

It took me a while, but I think I get it with the wind now...took some time to sink in (whilst digging out all my A level physics knowledge from 13 years ago!)

"software for simulating satallite radio interference" your one clever man!!

I usually like hills but im not sure if I would welcome them in a marathon, although saying that, last year I kept wanting a hill just so I could use some different muscles and rest the others that had been working so hard. This year I was ok though.

Does Mrs Malcs know you have been wearing her compression gear ????

Im thinking about York marathon already...need to knock at least 9 mins of my time....in a panic already!!!!
  • Morning Angela....I think your probably right about the 6 pack. I would love one but like you I seem to store my fat around my abdomen (the classic apple). No matter what I do I always seem to have a bit of a belly...even when ive been doing weights 3 times a week on my abs and not been drinking any alcohol. When I was at uni I weighed just under 7 stone and I still had a bit of a belly.....think I might give up on the dream and just concentrate on the running!

Ive heard loads of good reports on Berlin marathon, it certainly sounds like a good one to do. I did the berlin big 25k last year which followed some of the course but finished in the olympic stadium and I loved it.

How far are you running this week for your long run?

Minni sent me a picture of seb coe on facebook....will try and put it up on here later for you...the picture helped me round the marathon as it was spot on...if you have done the right training, have tapered properly and you have your nutrition right, you should get the time you want. I have faith in you.